The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2021, 06:06:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2021, 06:06:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Advanced Books  (Read 4671 times)
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 04, 2010, 06:21:27 am »

I have been practicing for a few years now, and have been reading everything I can get my hands on.  I'm now wondering if anyone has any suggestions for advanced reading.  Right now I am working on "The Golden Bough" and the "Egyptian Book of the Dead".
Thanks   Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 04, 2010, 08:01:17 am »

I have been practicing for a few years now, and have been reading everything I can get my hands on.  I'm now wondering if anyone has any suggestions for advanced reading.  Right now I am working on "The Golden Bough" and the "Egyptian Book of the Dead".

Both of those are very dated and some to much of what they say in no longer considered correct. What areas are you looking for books on?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 04, 2010, 10:05:17 pm »

Both of those are very dated and some to much of what they say in no longer considered correct. What areas are you looking for books on?

Dated, yes, but I still like to read books like that because it tells alot about the time period it was written, and authors tend to influence each other.  (Blame it on that I'm an English Lit major).  I'm hoping for more stuff on ceremonial magic, and the witch hunts, namely the spanish inquisition.  Pretty much anything that is not an intro book, that as a practitioner, you could not do without.
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 05, 2010, 12:38:56 am »

I'm hoping for more stuff on ceremonial magic, and the witch hunts, namely the spanish inquisition.  Pretty much anything that is not an intro book, that as a practitioner, you could not do without.

Those are three huge areas of interest, in terms of scope. I'd recommend looking at the titles in 'Magic In History' series published by Penn State Uni Press; also the 'Witchcraft & Magic In Europe' series. These are collections of essays and papers and some complete works that should provide a start in regards to who is working in those fields (the bibliographies alone are a great resource).

Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 05, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »

Those are three huge areas of interest, in terms of scope. I'd recommend looking at the titles in 'Magic In History' series published by Penn State Uni Press; also the 'Witchcraft & Magic In Europe' series. These are collections of essays and papers and some complete works that should provide a start in regards to who is working in those fields (the bibliographies alone are a great resource).

Thanks!  I'm just having a hard time finding reliable books that are not intro books, or that are horribly biased. 
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 05, 2010, 06:18:56 pm »

Thanks!  I'm just having a hard time finding reliable books that are not intro books, or that are horribly biased. 

This may not be what you're looking for, but Ronald Hutton's "Triumph of the Moon" is a very academic and respected work looking at where the hell Wicca/Pagan witchcraft really came from.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 05, 2010, 06:40:56 pm »

Thanks   Smiley

Whats your scope? Whats "advanced" in Hellenic Paganism is different from whats "advanced" in general Pagan studies. Are we talking spellcraft, general Paganism, a particular religious path...?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 05, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »

Whats your scope? Whats "advanced" in Hellenic Paganism is different from whats "advanced" in general Pagan studies. Are we talking spellcraft, general Paganism, a particular religious path...?

I would not mind having some titles on spell craft, namely runes and tarot in magical practice.  Some advanced Wicca would help too.  I already read "The Second Circle", "Advanced Witchcraft", and "The Veil's Edge".  Basically I'm just looking for books that are not beginner oriented.
unbendingwill
Journeyman
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 09:34:04 am

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 24, 2010, 08:51:29 am »

Thanks   Smiley
If you really want some heavy stuff start by looking up a guy called John Dee, He was a famous court magician back in the day and can be found on youtube.  He's the one who over saw the writing of the Enochian language.  If you want hard core that's hard core magic.  Study up on that.  You'll be fascinated.  There is always the Cabala.  But I would also suggest if you haven't already picking up anything by Aleister Crowley for a more educated and stimulating reading and it will further your journey.  He's not as dark as you think he is.
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 29, 2010, 01:32:03 am »

If you really want some heavy stuff start by looking up a guy called John Dee, He was a famous court magician back in the day and can be found on youtube.  He's the one who over saw the writing of the Enochian language.  If you want hard core that's hard core magic.  Study up on that.  You'll be fascinated.  There is always the Cabala.  But I would also suggest if you haven't already picking up anything by Aleister Crowley for a more educated and stimulating reading and it will further your journey.  He's not as dark as you think he is.

I have been working on Enochian and reading works by Aleister Crowley...very very slowly.  Tends to give me more than a wee bit of a head ache.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 28, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

This may not be what you're looking for, but Ronald Hutton's "Triumph of the Moon" is a very academic and respected work looking at where the hell Wicca/Pagan witchcraft really came from.

It's my understanding that a lot of Hutton's work has been discredited.  Apparently he went the route of the 'cool theory let's find facts to fit it' rather than 'cool facts lets find a theory to fit it'. Is this not the case?

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 28, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »

It's my understanding that a lot of Hutton's work has been discredited.  Apparently he went the route of the 'cool theory let's find facts to fit it' rather than 'cool facts lets find a theory to fit it'. Is this not the case?

Good bit more complicated than that, as I understand it. (I've read Hesleton, and the summaries of the more recent criticism of Hutton, but not the book itself yet: tight budget + need to spend most of my analytical brain power on job hunting tasks right now.)

Hutton is looking a particular set of evidence - not just about Gardner, but about events and people both before and after. As academic writing does, he's mostly limited to particular kinds of evidence (basically, things that can be demonstrated to other people from external sources) which is, as you might guess, rather limiting when talking about a mystery-focused oathbound religion and the people who follow it.

When doing academic writing, naturally, other people will come along, look at the evidence, maybe find some other bits of the evidence, and continue to refine it. But that doesn't automatically make the initial historian/academic/whover 'discredited'. It means that we continue to learn more and know more and understand more.

Or, in this case, where major new sources of information of the same kinds are relatively unlikely to turn up (in other words, we're not likely to suddenly get a completely previously unknown source turning up - it might happen, but it's less likely than in some fields/topics), you get different perspectives on what that evidence means.

What the academic reader is expected to do is to take a look at the evidence presented, the arguments made about that evidence, and to come to some sort of conclusion of their own. Generally, this is much more nuanced than "X good, Y bad." The academics I've known have all tended much more toward "Well, I agree with X's argument about this, and I think his evidence about Topic A is particularly powerful. But I really wonder about this statement B. When I read Y's work, I found her argument about B much more persuasive, particularly given the evidence she presented about B2, B3, and B5. On an emotional level, I also have some resonance with what E says in her review of X's and Y's work - I know she's not a formal academic, but she's got experience in the community, and what she describes has a common sense application that B4 ignores, and that I think weakens both X and Y's cases on that point."

I also think it generally takes *much* longer than 10 years for a piece of academic writing to hit the 'discredited' stage (barring something like clinical trials or medical testing, where you can sometimes figure it out faster.) I think in the social sciences, due to the speed of scholarly communication (the 'Net speeds some stuff up, but it still takes time for people to do research, prepare it for publication, and them for people to respond - all of which takes a good couple of years per major point) you need at least 20 to 30 years to really hash out someone's arguments and evidence in true depth.

(I am, btw, not an academic per se, but my father was a university professor doing what was at the time ground-breaking work in his field, my sister's a professor, and I'm a librarian by profession.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 28, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

(I am, btw, not an academic per se, but my father was a university professor doing what was at the time ground-breaking work in his field, my sister's a professor, and I'm a librarian by profession.)

*joygasm*

A coherent and logical explanation rather than BOOK BAD Cheesy

Seriously thank you for the clarification. I generally prefer to read and evaluate for myself but it can be very challenging to pick through legitimate sources in this field. Thank you again, I think I'll see if I can scare up a copy and take a look for myself. Cheesy

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 28, 2011, 07:52:20 pm »

*joygasm*

A coherent and logical explanation rather than BOOK BAD Cheesy

Seriously thank you for the clarification. I generally prefer to read and evaluate for myself but it can be very challenging to pick through legitimate sources in this field. Thank you again, I think I'll see if I can scare up a copy and take a look for myself. Cheesy

*grin*

(If you see Catja doing the same thing on related topics - she's hugely better on folklore academia than I am, because that's her field, for example - I recommend them to your attention.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)