The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 23, 2021, 07:21:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2021, 07:21:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 7247 times)
Smoke
Master Member
Last Login:January 28, 2011, 04:34:58 pm
United States United States

Religion: er.....can I get back to you on that?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 10, 2010, 09:27:13 am »

Hey so as you can guess I'm new to this all. Sorry if any of these questions seem silly.

I already know what I believe in-I found out a week ago what I was connected to-but I do not know what the actual term for it is. So I wanted to see if anyone here knew what I was talking about.

I believe in the Celtic Gods/Goddesses and folklore and things of that nature. I've felt really connected to anything that is Celtic so it was obvious that's what I was going to choose. But I don't know what the actual term for it is. I know it's not Wicca or neo-paganism. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Another thing is when you cast a circle are you supposed to feel a bit detached and disembodied? When I do it that's kinda how I feel. Like my head's in the clouds.

Last thing, this might seem a bit off topic but I really need someone's help with this because I don't know who else to turn to. I see....things. Strange things; white and black orbs that zoom everywhere for seconds then disappear, shadowy figures that don't have any scientifical explination as to why they are there, people who aren't there, people made of what seems to be shadows that appear and disappear in seconds, silvery, misty forms of things, golden flickering lights, ect. Recently I got really frustatrated about it and yelled for whatever it was to get out. It's been a week and I haven't seen them but now I'm slowly starting to see them again. Are these things real or am I just going insane? If they are real what are they, why do I see them, and how can I get them out of my life.

If someone could answer these questions I'd really be thankful. Have a nice day.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 10, 2010, 03:41:22 pm »

Hey so as you can guess I'm new to this all. Sorry if any of these questions seem silly.

Another thing is when you cast a circle are you supposed to feel a bit detached and disembodied? When I do it that's kinda how I feel. Like my head's in the clouds.

Last thing, this might seem a bit off topic but I really need someone's help with this because I don't know who else to turn to. I see....things. Strange things; white and black orbs that zoom everywhere for seconds then disappear, shadowy figures that don't have any scientifical explination as to why they are there, people who aren't there, people made of what seems to be shadows that appear and disappear in seconds, silvery, misty forms of things, golden flickering lights, ect. Recently I got really frustatrated about it and yelled for whatever it was to get out. It's been a week and I haven't seen them but now I'm slowly starting to see them again. Are these things real or am I just going insane? If they are real what are they, why do I see them, and how can I get them out of my life.

If someone could answer these questions I'd really be thankful. Have a nice day.

I'll do my best to help with some of it... when doing a circle, for me, its normal to have a slight "high" going on, especially when raising energy.  When I first started, I would get headaches super bad from casting a circle, and feel very drained and out of it.  Then I realized my problem:  I was envisioning the circle as a simple line boundary, not a 3-D oval.  Once I made sure I was doing that, I started to feel a ton better.  I don't know if that is close to what you are experiencing, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Also, if you are just starting, I'm not surprised you are beginning to see things.  Unfortunately I'm not very good at guessing what things are unless I am there and can feel them.  When I was new, I saw all sorts of random stuff, some of which sounds like what you are experiencing.  I had to learn that there is always going to be random things around, but you CAN control whether or not you see them.  I suggest hematite, that will ground you, and it tends to dampen how much stuff people see.  Also, a regular cleansing with sage or something similar will make sure that what is around is not harmful.
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 10, 2010, 04:33:03 pm »

Thanks for the advice about the seeing things. The thing is I've been seeing things since June, it's gotten worse and worse. And I just became a Pagan last week so I don't think it's because I became Pagan.
When I cast a circle it's more like I feel....disembodied, kinda like my mind is somewhere else. After I close the circle it goes away.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:40:42 pm by Smoke » Logged
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 10, 2010, 11:29:30 pm »

Thanks for the advice about the seeing things. The thing is I've been seeing things since June, it's gotten worse and worse. And I just became a Pagan last week so I don't think it's because I became Pagan.
When I cast a circle it's more like I feel....disembodied, kinda like my mind is somewhere else. After I close the circle it goes away.

A slightly disembodied feeling is normal, again, try bringing some hematite into the circle with you if it bothers you.

I used to see things even when I was not pagan, and the more I thought about it, the worse it got.  I would not be surprised if some of the lights and such is just random energy.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #4: July 11, 2010, 12:05:10 am »

I don't know about the apparition thing, but if you are feeling like this when you cast a circle, you might want to practice your grounding.  I would especially recommend this is you are feeling woozy or light-headed.  Going into a circle is a consciousness altering exercise, and if you aren't using correct techniques, it can make you feel pretty crummy.

Sperran
Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella MathĂșin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 11, 2010, 12:54:02 am »

I'm in agreement with all the comments.  When you start you're opening yourself up in a new way, a lot of the stuff that you're seeing will -not fade- but won't be as noticable in time.  You'll be able to tune out the "noise" better.  I'll still catch glimpses of things, usually when I'm tired or not as well shielded as I should be. 

When I learned to cast a circle I was taught to do a grounding exercise before it, (ugh I hate sounding new agey) to not only ground yourself, but to be able to utilize some of the energy around you, not just your own. 

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 11, 2010, 05:50:38 am »

I believe in the Celtic Gods/Goddesses and folklore and things of that nature. I've felt really connected to anything that is Celtic so it was obvious that's what I was going to choose. But I don't know what the actual term for it is. I know it's not Wicca or neo-paganism. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Can't really help with the others, but I can help a bit with this.

If you're looking to stick as close to the original myths and practices as possible (within reason, obviously), it's Celtic Reconstructionism.  This sounds like what you're describing, correct me if I'm wrong?

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 11, 2010, 02:42:24 pm »

Thanks so much you guys. How does one practice their grounding? I'm not really sure what that means.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: July 11, 2010, 04:04:06 pm »

Thanks so much you guys. How does one practice their grounding? I'm not really sure what that means.

Here's a ground and center exercise: http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-and-Center

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 11, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »

Here's a ground and center exercise: http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-and-Center

Thank you. I read it, it seems helpful. I'll be sure to try it!
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 11, 2010, 05:23:10 pm »

Can't really help with the others, but I can help a bit with this.

If you're looking to stick as close to the original myths and practices as possible (within reason, obviously), it's Celtic Reconstructionism.  This sounds like what you're describing, correct me if I'm wrong?

I read a bit about Celtic Reconstructionalism on this site but it just confused me. Would you be able to explain it to me in an easier way? If so it'd be really helpful.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 11, 2010, 05:54:01 pm »

I read a bit about Celtic Reconstructionalism on this site but it just confused me. Would you be able to explain it to me in an easier way? If so it'd be really helpful.

Reconstructionist religions are basically operating on the principle "The ancients of this culture knew how to deal with their gods and weren't idiots; we should try to do as they did."  (With an assortment of pissing matches about what "as they did" actually means in a modern world.)  They start with a best scholarly understanding of practices (as understood by archaeology, anthropology, history, etc.) and figure out how to fill in the gaps to produce - at least ideally - a functional living religion.

Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 11, 2010, 06:48:27 pm »

Reconstructionist religions are basically operating on the principle "The ancients of this culture knew how to deal with their gods and weren't idiots; we should try to do as they did."  (With an assortment of pissing matches about what "as they did" actually means in a modern world.)  They start with a best scholarly understanding of practices (as understood by archaeology, anthropology, history, etc.) and figure out how to fill in the gaps to produce - at least ideally - a functional living religion.

Okay, so do you follow their cultural stuff and believe in their religions? Or is it more than that. I'm still kind of confused as to what you actually do.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 11, 2010, 07:34:01 pm »

Okay, so do you follow their cultural stuff and believe in their religions? Or is it more than that. I'm still kind of confused as to what you actually do.

Obviously what one does in a particular thing is dependent on which culture one's talking about.  (And as an Egyptian recon, I am not well-positioned to talk about Celtic recon even though I'm married to one.)  But yes, the idea is that one practices the religion of the ancients in a form as close to what they would recognise as is feasable.

Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 11, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »

Obviously what one does in a particular thing is dependent on which culture one's talking about.  (And as an Egyptian recon, I am not well-positioned to talk about Celtic recon even though I'm married to one.)  But yes, the idea is that one practices the religion of the ancients in a form as close to what they would recognise as is feasable.

Okay now I think I get it. Thank you!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)