The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 26, 2021, 03:38:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2021, 03:38:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 7250 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: July 11, 2010, 07:48:01 pm »

Okay now I think I get it. Thank you!

We have a Celtic Polytheism Special Interest Group (SIG) here on TC.  You might want to look through the threads there.  That's also a good place to post any questions you might have about Celtic Recon.

In particular, I'd recommend taking a look at this thread, which gives some detail about how one Celtic Recon approaches her practice and a glimpse at what she actually does.  In this thread, the abbreviation "RCR" stands for "Reformed Celtic Reconstructionism".  We were discussing the concept of developing a path that was a bit less rigid than most Celtic Reconstructionism.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Smoke
Master Member
Last Login:January 28, 2011, 04:34:58 pm

Religion: er.....can I get back to you on that?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 11, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »

We have a Celtic Polytheism Special Interest Group (SIG) here on TC.  You might want to look through the threads there.  That's also a good place to post any questions you might have about Celtic Recon.

I looked at both. For the SIG would I be allowed to ask some questions about being new to Celtic Recon and such? Because I'm still kind of confused as to what we all do. (I've looked at some sites and it was a bit too much for my 14 year old brain to handle) The whole concept of Celtic Recon is still a bit blurry to me. I get the fact that we have the same religion as the ancient Celts but not much more than that.(I've read what the site says about it but again it confused me.) Would I be able to go there to get advice or should I just stay here?
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: July 11, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »

I looked at both. For the SIG would I be allowed to ask some questions about being new to Celtic Recon and such? Because I'm still kind of confused as to what we all do. (I've looked at some sites and it was a bit too much for my 14 year old brain to handle) The whole concept of Celtic Recon is still a bit blurry to me. I get the fact that we have the same religion as the ancient Celts but not much more than that.(I've read what the site says about it but again it confused me.) Would I be able to go there to get advice or should I just stay here?

You are welcome to post questions in the SIG.  Just realize that the SIG is intended for focused discussion on the topic.  (We have SIGs for other Kemetic Reconstructionism, Hellenic Recon, and Heathenry and Asatru.  We also have a Cill SIG, which is a group of us who are dedicated to serving Brighid.  (More info on that here.)

If you have questions that are more general in nature, you should probably post in the beginner threads until you're more comfortable with the topics.

Bear in mind that many of us are "Celtic polytheists", but not necessarily strict reconstructionists.  For me, for example, my path is centered on the goddess Brighid.  My practice -- that is, what I actually DO -- is informed by the history, mythology, and archeology; but I am NOT attempting to do exactly what the Iron or Bronze Age Celts did.  I have a variety of reasons for that.  For one, I'm focused on Brighid, and have pretty much nothing to do with the other Celtic god/desses.  That's a pretty big difference from how the ancients would have approached it.  Probably.  The truth is that we don't really know that much about how the Celts worshiped or what they thought because they didn't write things down.

All that is to say that, if you're interested in Celtic polytheism in a general sense, the SIG will be a great place for you to learn from those of us who have been doing this for a while.  If you're more interested in strict Celtic Reconstructionism, you'll have to be a bit more focused.  I think we do have a few CRs, but I'm not really sure.

In addition to reading through the threads that are already in the SIG, I'd also strongly recommend that you read the CR FAQ as soon as possible.  It's a document that was put together a couple of years ago by a group of folks who were trying to figure out how to describe and find common denominators for CRs.  It's intended for people who are new to CR, so will probably be very helpful for you.

I also strongly recommend that you read our Teens and Paganism FAQ.  It's written specifically for teens new to paganism, and includes tons of links that will help you really understand a lot of what goes on here.  In addition, the Pagan Primer might also be helpful for you.  And we also have a page on reconstructionism in general, which will probably help you understand a little better what recons actually do.  Note the links to specific cultures on the upper right corner of the recon page.

I know this is a lot of reading, but that's pretty normal for studying any pagan path.  Smiley

Once you've read through that material, you'll probably have specific questions.  You should post those in the SIG so we can try to answer based on our own paths and/or direct you to resources.

Hope this helps!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 11, 2010, 08:58:18 pm »

Bear in mind that many of us are "Celtic polytheists", but not necessarily strict reconstructionists. 

All that is to say that, if you're interested in Celtic polytheism in a general sense, the SIG will be a great place for you to learn from those of us who have been doing this for a while.

In addition to reading through the threads that are already in the SIG, I'd also strongly recommend that you read the CR FAQ as soon as possible.  It's a document that was put together a couple of years ago by a group of folks who were trying to figure out how to describe and find common denominators for CRs.  It's intended for people who are new to CR, so will probably be very helpful for you.

I also strongly recommend that you read our Teens and Paganism FAQ.  It's written specifically for teens new to paganism, and includes tons of links that will help you really understand a lot of what goes on here.  In addition, the Pagan Primer might also be helpful for you.  And we also have a page on reconstructionism in general, which will probably help you understand a little better what recons actually do.  Note the links to specific cultures on the upper right corner of the recon page.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. 

I've read the Pagan Primer and the Teens and Paganism and the Recon page. I'll start reading the CR FAQ tommorrow because I have to get off the computer in an hour and if I start reading it I'll forget it all by the time morning comes.

Also what's the difference between Celtic Polytheism and CR?
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 11, 2010, 09:01:18 pm »

Thank you. 

I've read the Pagan Primer and the Teens and Paganism and the Recon page. I'll start reading the CR FAQ tommorrow because I have to get off the computer in an hour and if I start reading it I'll forget it all by the time morning comes.

Also what's the difference between Celtic Polytheism and CR?

I believe that a Celtic Polytheist is just a polytheist drawn to the Celtic pantheon. For example, if you're really drawn to the Irish or Welsh pantheons primarily, you could call yourself a Celtic Polytheist no matter how you worship the gods. CR involves a particular approach to religion (that of reconstructionism) that goes beyond worshiping the gods however you want. There's a sort of historical accountability, I think. (Note that this comes from someone who is neither Celtic-focused nor a reconstructionist! Just my two cents. Smiley )

Good luck on your studies!

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Smoke
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 11, 2010, 09:10:26 pm »

I believe that a Celtic Polytheist is just a polytheist drawn to the Celtic pantheon. For example, if you're really drawn to the Irish or Welsh pantheons primarily, you could call yourself a Celtic Polytheist no matter how you worship the gods. CR involves a particular approach to religion (that of reconstructionism) that goes beyond worshiping the gods however you want. There's a sort of historical accountability, I think. (Note that this comes from someone who is neither Celtic-focused nor a reconstructionist! Just my two cents. Smiley )

Good luck on your studies!

That makes sense. Thanks.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)