The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 10:09:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 10:09:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Coyotes!?  (Read 3383 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 10, 2010, 11:21:03 am »

Last night, about 3am I was woken up by what sounded like sirens, or screaming,  or someone being skinned alive - actually what sounded like about 8 someones being skinned alive.  It went on for about fifteen minutes and then faded into the distance.  The barking, was not quite barking and the howling was nothing as glamorous as the copyrighted wolf howl.

The screams were nothing short of horror movie and boy were they LOUD.  I had my bedroom windows all cracked to about 2" and it woke me from a full sleep.

We have hurricane fencing all around our neighborhood, and I at first thought wow, these people are nuts.  They fence in their fields like they're going to get away.  Now I'm guessing they are fencing OUT a local coyote pack - a pretty healthy sized one by the amount of noise they put up last night.

It was like they chose last night to announce their prescence in the big empty prairie space about a half mile behind the neighborhood.  Which is where the kids all go to jump their bikes.  We had heard 'rumors' passed on from some older teens about there being coyotes out there, but took it with a grain of salt, since they aren't typically active during the day and I was thinking that there might be one or two floating around hanging on with the development.  I never thought there might be an pack.  (might be a rather duh thing, but for some reason I saw them as solitary)

Any coyote-philes with some good info above what wiki has?  We're putting some new rules into place about going out to the jumps.  My oldest from what I've read is big enough that by day and with the other kids isn't a likely target for a healthy coyote but my youngest son and the neighbors youngest daughter are of a questionable size and are under 10 and under 55lb so they will all have some very strict stay together do not go any farther than XYZ rules as well as tightening up how late they are allowed to be out at the jumps.

Oddly I'm not finding anything about Coyotes put up by the town or local wildlife resources.  Then again being in such a rural area, I'm not surprised.  There is very little on the web about what our town does or does not have.  Even some of the schools are not on the internet out here.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 10, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

I lived where I live now for 4 years before I knew we had coyote, bear and copperheads. also there are supposedly mountain lions. I've heard them, seen pictures of one a friend took from his porch, but the game commission says there aren't any. They also said for years that there were no coyotes, but now you can hunt them. They didn't want people hunting a "nuisance animal" while they were reintroducing it to the area or until there was a stable coyote population. it can be hard to get information on wildlife especially predatory wildlife because they don't want people to kill those animals.

I do know that other than being a potential danger to small children and pets they can be really destructive. They get into trash etc. this is especially bad when the area has an over population. My brother's girlfriend lived in a place that had that problem and now there is open season on coyote. The population is still out of control.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 10, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »

I never thought there might be an pack.  (might be a rather duh thing, but for some reason I saw them as solitary)

Any coyote-philes with some good info above what wiki has?
Most often solitary, or mated pairs, but they do form packs sometimes (they also apparently sometimes work in partnership with badgers, but that's neither here nor there for your purposes) - usually youngens who've stayed with the parents after they're grown, so at a guess there probably weren't eight of them, more likely four or five making enough racket for eight.  It's also possible that there are several solitary ones rather than a pack; they like to howl back and forth even if they're not hunting together.

Linkdump (IIRC, some of these are Wiki's source sites, so you may have seen them):
Coyote info at DesertUSA
Indiana Coyote Rescue Center
Eastern Coyote Homepage
Co-Existing With Coyotes at the Stanley Park (Vancouver BC) Ecology Society
You might try contacting the Biology Department of the nearest university - even if they're not doing any field research of local critters, they'll probably know if anyone else is.  Coyotes are very adaptable, so details of behavior in one place don't always carry over completely in another; the more localized your info is, the more it'll apply to your coyotes.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 10, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »

Most often solitary, or mated pairs, but they do form packs sometimes (they also apparently sometimes work in partnership with badgers, but that's neither here nor there for your purposes) - usually youngens who've stayed with the parents after they're grown, so at a guess there probably weren't eight of them, more likely four or five making enough racket for eight. 

Many thanks for the links and the info Cheesy 

There was a veritable chorus, if they were going back and forth, they took out the breathing between phrases part.  It had the mood of someone stirring the pots and pans cabinet with a baseball bat.  Noise glorious noise -- I make it with my voice!

Terrifying too.  There's something about the cacophony that leaves you wondering if they're just stirring up the night for the fun of it, fighting, celebrating something they ate - although I'm finding on more looking that the super high ground squirrel population out here seems to be what keeps them fat and happy, or what they're up to.  I had to stop myself from checking the locks and closing the downstairs windows even though that's pretty illogical since we're in the center of the mini suburbia they dropped in the middle of an agricultural belt.  It was what it would sound like if your neighbors each had a few dogs, went out in the middle of the street and had it out violently to the accompaniment of howling.   

They had a scream to them that sounded almost human at parts and where they were overlapping each other takes on a people shouting in the distance kind of tone.  I for a second wondered if I should be watching the news in the morning for missing persons.

I've never heard coyotes in full song before so I'm impressed! 

-LIz Pahir
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 10, 2010, 10:56:01 pm »

Oddly I'm not finding anything about Coyotes put up by the town or local wildlife resources.  Then again being in such a rural area, I'm not surprised.  There is very little on the web about what our town does or does not have.  Even some of the schools are not on the internet out here.

Just a few weeks ago a 6-yr-old in New Hampshire was attacked and severely bitten by a coyote attack.  Keep the little ones close; report I saw said that the 6yo was with a group of children, but she was the smallest; when she was far enough away from the others, several coyotes attacked.

Last year a young woman of slight stature was attacked, killed and partially eaten in a national park in eastern Canada.

Coyotes in the east of North America are bigger, tougher and more wolflike than the smaller, more foxlike, scavenger types as are found in Los Angeles, robbing dumpsters and stealing Chihuahuas.  LA County coyotes weigh half what the Easterners do.  Some Eastern coyotes really are just slightly smaller wolves.  There is some reason to believe that the coyote re-established residence in the East not by walking east from the prairie, but by avoiding humans and traveling north of the Great Lakes.

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 10, 2010, 11:22:02 pm »

Just a few weeks ago a 6-yr-old in New Hampshire was attacked and severely bitten by a coyote attack.  Keep the little ones close; report I saw said that the 6yo was with a group of children, but she was the smallest; when she was far enough away from the others, several coyotes attacked.

Last year a young woman of slight stature was attacked, killed and partially eaten in a national park in eastern Canada.

My oldest was trying to rally the neighorhood kids to go out to see if they could find any evidence or tracks and I had to break up that party for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  The older kids if they ran into a coyote would take off as fast as they could pedal, leaving the younger ones in the dust. 

Maybe when hubbs gets back in a few days I'll ride out with the boys and point out what the scat looks like and we'll drill proper etiquette in the situation, but until then they're not going back out to the jumps.

From what I've been reading, what we may be hearing are the young males learning to 'use their voice' and fighting for their spot in the local roam area.  We'll give them a couple weeks to sort it out, especially since they are going through what appears to be their teen years.

We don't need somebodys kid getting picked off because they looked like good eats.

-LIz Pahir
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 12, 2010, 06:20:27 pm »

I took the kiddos out for a bike ride today, and we covered about a mile in length, half a mile out from the housing and came across at least 60 piles of scat twenty or so fresh and a few places that had been used multiple times, (a good ten of different ages) a bit of a poo off perhaps; and what appears to be two dens, about a mile apart.  One dug into the dirt flats that were cleared by the developer that built our neighborhood about 4 years ago before the market crash and has gone back to itself and one in a burnt out log structure near an abandoned farm.

The kids got to see scat, poke through it with a stick to see the bones and fur in it and learn to identify tracks.  hopefully this satisfied their curiosity, although because they're living so close in the jumps are now off limits since the chance of popping over the top of a platform that was leveled/ tiered for the housing that makes the jumps (no pads poured, just leveled) and falling into someones backyard is too chancy.

We found some feathers, but it appears that they're eating primarily rodents and all in one gulp.

-LIz Pahir
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 12, 2010, 06:23:49 pm »

The kids got to see scat, poke through it with a stick to see the bones and fur in it and learn to identify tracks. 

Neat.  Next to owl pellets, coyote poo was a favorite "trail stop" for us when my kid was small.  This takes me back.  Smiley

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.