The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2019, 09:06:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 09:06:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How'd You Choose Your Deck?  (Read 6765 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 12, 2010, 03:36:47 pm »

Or, really, how did the deck choose you? (My mother is a big subscriber to a deck choosing its owner.)

I'll start.

My primary deck (which is all but useless now; traitors... grumble...) was given to me as a gift when I was having connection issues with a previous deck. My esoteric deck fell into my lap at a used book store. It was a deck that I had been looking at online, longingly, for quite some time but since it was out-of-print, all of the used copies were exceedingly expensive. I managed to pick up the entire set for $20.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 12, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »

Or, really, how did the deck choose you? (My mother is a big subscriber to a deck choosing its owner.)

I'll start.

My primary deck (which is all but useless now; traitors... grumble...) was given to me as a gift when I was having connection issues with a previous deck. My esoteric deck fell into my lap at a used book store. It was a deck that I had been looking at online, longingly, for quite some time but since it was out-of-print, all of the used copies were exceedingly expensive. I managed to pick up the entire set for $20.

All of my Tarot decks have been gifts. Except for the Necronomicon Tarot (which I drooled over when my friend brought over her deck), I hadn't specifically told anyone I wanted that deck. They just sort of showed up. Smiley And except for my first deck - Crowley's Thoth deck - I still have all of them.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 12, 2010, 04:34:06 pm »

My longtime deck has been the Robin Wood, and I was introduced to it long before I went looking for a deck for myself. (Friends in college.) When I did go looking for a deck, the group I trained with required one with something close to Rider-Waite symbology, and it remained the one I liked best in terms of color and symbol.

I'm currently getting to know the Shadowscapes deck, which I love, and which has some very thoughtful symbology - but it's different than the standard Rider-Waite. (http://shadowscapes.com/Tarot/cardsmain.php?suit=0 is the card index).

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 12, 2010, 05:18:53 pm »

I just realized that this topic could go for any form of divination, not just Tarot/Oracle decks.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 13, 2010, 02:54:37 am »

I'm an art snob, so I tend to choose decks based entirely on how they look. I shuffle through and see how I react to the images, basically. Very often is the artwork isn't very good I find myself entirely too distracted to actually read the cards.

My current go-to decks are the Rider-Waite, Thoth, and Vertigo.
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 13, 2010, 05:26:30 am »

I'll start.

My favourite deck is actually the first one I had and I chose it because it came with a book, was relatively cheap and was prettier then the others there. I have a Goddess set which I think I bought when I was going through a feminist phase  and I thought it would be appropriate. I just got a new one which I think is really designed for teenage girls who like pretty fairys which I chose because I saw them and wanted something pretty. (Yes I really am that bad) Smiley I have had a few others over the years but none I've really used.
Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 13, 2010, 09:19:58 pm »

I just realized that this topic could go for any form of divination, not just Tarot/Oracle decks.
Well I tried tarot cards but with limited success. So I thought I would try scrying instead. Around that time I found out that my stone is obsidian and then I found a palm sized piece of obsidian behind the archeology department in a pile of obsidian chips. Apparently some of the grad students were doing a study on arrowheads.

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 13, 2010, 11:36:03 pm »

I'll start.

My first deck was Rider-Waite.  I bought it through a book club, mainly because I was interested in tarot cards and wanted to learn.  That deck HATED me.  Right from the get-go.  Sad  Several stories about that deck, major yuck.

Now I have the Robin Wood deck.  I love that one, it feels a lot 'friendlier' and easier to use.  I also like the artwork. 

There is another deck I would love to get, once I'm more comfortable working with tarot cards.  It's called Rohrig Tarot.  Very modern, love the artwork of this deck too.  http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rohrig/

Serpent
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 30, 2012, 10:23:36 pm

Religion: Kemetic Ceremonial Magician

The twin pillars open the way

Blog entries (1)

Cyclopean Seeker Zachary Kolb Serpent

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 14, 2010, 12:24:52 am »

I'll start.

I'll go through my whole list of decks since I find each one has a unique reflection/action to me.

My first, actual deck was a deck given to me by my best friend. I can't even remember what it's called by the cards have this swirling, pastel color impressionist-style paintings of the various arcana. That deck is always lucid and dreamy, and could never give me a straight answer to save a life.

My second deck of tarot wasn't even really tarot. It's called The Medicine Cards, based on various traditions of Native American shamanism and totem lore. That deck is very much an introspective and teach in metaphors deck, which doesn't surprise me seeing as it was given to me by my grandmother.

My third deck that I have was given to me by my ex-girlfriend. It is the Goddess Tarot, and is...well...exactly what it sounds like. Seeing as my ex was a blazing ball of passion, fire and loved me intensely when she gave me the deck, it's not a real surprise to me that the deck has those qualities. The deck, quite literally, pouts when it isn't around me. The readings it gives though are very intuitive and can be rather blunt...like how she was. Thankfully, the deck doesn't get jealous or moody.

My fourth deck I have is my primary deck, The Revelations Tarot by Zach Wong. That deck called out to me when I was just browsing in Books A Million. I had walked right past it when I felt...something...tugging at me, trying to get my attention. The deck practically leapt into my hands when I picked it up off the shelf. It reads clearly, concise, and will touch at the heart of the matter but in a way that gets the person being read to reflect on what it means. The one thing that is alittle off about it is that it never tells if something is good or bad. It leaves that up to person in the reading (which is my little nudge the Djehuty is working through the cards with me when this happens).

My newest deck, another one which I recieved from my grandmother, is your standard Rider-Waite deck. It's a deck she's had for a long, long while and quite frankly...it's like a psychic tuning fork. I worked with the cards for a little bit, to get a feel for them, and it felt like lightning was surging through me. It made me flush red, and start to move my feet otherwise I felt like I was going to burst. The deck itself...it tells you exactly what is going on, no secrets, no surprises and it does not pull it's punches. It's the first deck I've ever held in my hands that supercharges me like it does, while being a very calm and tranquil personality.

I'm not one who believes that a person has to be given their decks as gifts or only get them by selecting them themselves. I've just had these decks find their way to me, often when I'm not trying to look for anything too particular.

"Do as Thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

What is the Law?

"Love, love under Will, that is the Law"
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 01, 2019, 11:52:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 14, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »

I'm not one who believes that a person has to be given their decks as gifts or only get them by selecting them themselves.
Hmm, it occurs to me from this that the convos we've had here on the subject may have wound up putting too much emphasis on choosing your own deck.

For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a deck as a gift - it's just that it's really chancy whether a person will connect well with a gift deck or not.  I notice that, in your descriptions, Serpent, even though you have a good relationship with each of your decks, and each has particular purposes it's best for, the one you identify as your primary is the one you chose.  OTOH, I've known plenty of people who chose a deck with what seemed to be a great deal of care, and then couldn't connect with it for readings at all; and people who took up tarot because they were given a deck and it happened to be just right for them - and everything in between.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 15, 2010, 04:12:47 am »

I looked for the prettiest deck I could find, not knowing a thing about tarot.  Five years later, it still has a mind of its' own, and seems to like nothing better than making me groan in frustration.

My second deck my boyfriend gave me, since I asked for one as a present on year, thinking that perhaps since it was a gift, it might like me better.  It does, but not by much.  I use this deck for magic mostly.
Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella Mathúin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 15, 2010, 04:46:43 am »

I looked for the prettiest deck I could find, not knowing a thing about tarot.  Five years later, it still has a mind of its' own, and seems to like nothing better than making me groan in frustration.

My second deck my boyfriend gave me, since I asked for one as a present on year, thinking that perhaps since it was a gift, it might like me better.  It does, but not by much.  I use this deck for magic mostly.

not that much into tarot, I have the celtic dragon deck more cause it's pretty and goes along with my style lol.  I do use it, though I still rely heavily on the book, and find it rather accurate. 

My favorite though is the Russian Gypsy fortune telling deck (or something along those lines) it's astonishingly, sometimes frighteningly accurate.  I just got a new deck and we're still getting to know each other but I have found it as powerful as the original one that I gave away when I left the craft.  Still smacking myself in the head over a lot of the things that I gave away.

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: July 15, 2010, 10:52:20 am »

Still smacking myself in the head over a lot of the things that I gave away.

Oh I hear you.

I gave away >Titanias Fortune Telling Cards< German edition in red velvet box.
It's out of print by now and I could bite myself... well you know.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: July 15, 2010, 10:56:11 am »

Collector fever.
The cards only need to look nice or be in a nifty box and I. must. resist.
(No Tana! Down! No money spending on things you do not need!)

My Thoth Tarot cards were a gift and for a long time the only Tarot I had.
Other sets I choose because the artwork spoke to me.
But by now I've made the experience that sometimes you can work with an oracle for years and then you both are done.

I guess that's the way life is Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 15, 2010, 05:34:48 pm »

My newest deck, another one which I recieved from my grandmother, is your standard Rider-Waite deck. It's a deck she's had for a long, long while and quite frankly...it's like a psychic tuning fork. I worked with the cards for a little bit, to get a feel for them, and it felt like lightning was surging through me. It made me flush red, and start to move my feet otherwise I felt like I was going to burst. The deck itself...it tells you exactly what is going on, no secrets, no surprises and it does not pull it's punches. It's the first deck I've ever held in my hands that supercharges me like it does, while being a very calm and tranquil personality.

My first and primary deck is a Rider-Waite and the feeling you describe is exactly what I get every time I pick it up. It's is unnerving how accurate it is. I don't use it much for readings I do for others because it picks up on a lot of things people keep buried deep. I went on an outdoor orientation trip for the college I'm going to this fall, happened to have this deck with me during some downtime, and began giving readings with it as people requested them. I had at least five out of the eight people I did readings for say that the reading had nailed an event that had just passed and they had either made a decision or resolved an issue based on info from the reading. The other three just walked away without saying much or didn't pay attention to what I was saying.

The other weird experience I had with this deck is that one time I left the deck on my bed while I slept and dreamed about a conversation with my mom in our living room. When my mom woke me up in the morning, she began the conversation in the dream. I asked her if she had tried to wake me up earlier to which she replied no. I told her about the dream and it turns out that I nailed down all the details of a conversation she had had with my brother, right down to the TV show on the television and what they had been eating (all stuff that couldn't have seeped into my dream through surroundings because of where my room is placed and the fact I have a very loud white noise machine). We were both kind of freaked.

My other deck is the Tarot Art Nouveau deck: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/art-nouveau/index.shtml It's softer, more into possibilities and ideas than predicting the future or interpreting the past. It's much more open to the plurality of futures a person has than the most likely outcome. There are certain spreads that it just doesn't like (ie. any linear time spreads). It's fickle, kind of moody, and would much rather have the person for whom the reading is for shuffle the cards. My Rider-Waite only likes me to shuffle and deal it. I choose it simply because I loved it's interpretation of Death which is pretty much how I picked the Rider-Waite as well. I find if a deck can capture Death well then most other cards will read well for me.

I'm torn between getting an Oracle deck or getting Ogham fews next. I hope to have one or the other before I go to school in the fall. I feel like both would be useful.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:36:51 pm by TisiphoneSeraph » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)