The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2020, 03:58:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2020, 03:58:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Faeries (seeking book recommendations)  (Read 7175 times)
DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 03, 2007, 03:30:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 31, 2007, 03:26:34 am »

Any favorites?  I know that's pretty broad... how about mainly Celtic and/or Irish...

I have a couple of books in my collection (some are packed away in a storage unit and I haven't looked at them for years).  I know I've got one called Faery Folk ~ can't recall the author.  I have one I LOVE called *Faeries* (Froud & Lee) and I love it mainly for the rich artwork.

I've got another that touches on a few that just happen to be listed in an Encyclopedia of sorts -- again, I can't recall the author and it is packed away.  Undecided

Any favorites?  I'm interested in the folklore and myths surrounding Faeries, not so much in an "encyclopedia" lay out -- unless it seems really good and informative in your opinion.

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details" ~ Albert Einstein

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 31, 2007, 06:06:34 am »

Any favorites?  I'm interested in the folklore and myths surrounding Faeries, not so much in an "encyclopedia" lay out -- unless it seems really good and informative in your opinion.

A good one is the Welsh Fairy Book by W.Jenkyn Thomas, it is a firm favourite of mine and an electronic copy is available at scared texts, paper copies are obtainable too, I picked one up from amazon market place for a reasonable sum.

Katherine Brigg's Dictionary of Fairies is also very good, and although they are listed in alphabetical format the folklore goes along with it. This is the book that Brian Froud based his "Good Fairies/Bad Fairies" upon IIRC. There is some issue with Briggs that she may have embelleshied some of the tales though and a lot of what she wrote was based on Evans Wentz earlier work which has in places been discredited, but I have found them useful. Hope that helps Cheesy

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 31, 2007, 12:02:32 pm »

Any favorites?  I know that's pretty broad... how about mainly Celtic and/or Irish...

I have a couple of books in my collection (some are packed away in a storage unit and I haven't looked at them for years).  I know I've got one called Faery Folk ~ can't recall the author.  I have one I LOVE called *Faeries* (Froud & Lee) and I love it mainly for the rich artwork.

I've got another that touches on a few that just happen to be listed in an Encyclopedia of sorts -- again, I can't recall the author and it is packed away.  Undecided

Hopefully Catja will see this (I may try emailing it to her) since she has a doctorate in folk lore. I know she's had recommendations in the past on this type of thing.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 31, 2007, 01:22:17 pm »

My sibling works with Fae, which means I'm always searching for good books on the subject to throw at her.

The Secret Common-Wealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies by Robert Kirk (available online at scared texts I think)

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by W.Y. Evans-Wents (same as above)

Meeting the Other Crowd : the Fairy Stories of Hidden Ireland by Eddie Lenihan

Fairy and Folk Tales of Ireland by W. B. Yeats

Fairy Paths & Spirit Roads: Exploring Otherworldly Routes in the Old and New Worlds by Paul Devereux (touches a bit on some folklore, concentrating on stories of people who had to accommodate fairy paths on their property.)

Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings by John Michael Greer (has a chapter on fae and what they might be.)

Classic Celtic Fairy Tales by John Matthews (mostly because the pictures are so pretty.)

That's all I can think of without coffee.
DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 31, 2007, 04:20:22 pm »

A good one is the Welsh Fairy Book by W.Jenkyn Thomas, it is a firm favourite of mine and an electronic copy is available at scared texts, paper copies are obtainable too, I picked one up from amazon market place for a reasonable sum.

Adding that one to my wishlist  Cheesy

DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 31, 2007, 04:21:26 pm »

Hopefully Catja will see this (I may try emailing it to her) since she has a doctorate in folk lore. I know she's had recommendations in the past on this type of thing.

Thanks!  That would be great to hear from her!  Grin

DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 31, 2007, 04:23:43 pm »

That's all I can think of without coffee.

Shocked

That's quite a lot considering it was just off the top of your head -- and without coffee to boot, lol...

I'll check out the Sacred Texts online source -- I'm pretty greedy about "having" physical books, but I'm cerain that using the free sources would be of benefit.

Do you know if you can copy out portions that you'd like to save and have them as a personal file on your computer?  Huh

Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 31, 2007, 04:45:27 pm »

Do you know if you can copy out portions that you'd like to save and have them as a personal file on your computer?  Huh

My undersatnding is that the texts on that site are either without copy right for what ever reason or the copy right has expired or been waved. In which case copying for personal use should not be an issue, although if you ever wanted to reproduce it for what ever reason that might be different.

I regulary copy an paste into a word document and higlight the bits I want then print it out, but then I always was a sucker for a dead tree tome.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 31, 2007, 06:02:19 pm »

The Secret Common-Wealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies by Robert Kirk (available online at scared texts I think)

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by W.Y. Evans-Wents (same as above)

Meeting the Other Crowd : the Fairy Stories of Hidden Ireland by Eddie Lenihan

Fairy and Folk Tales of Ireland by W. B. Yeats

I'd recommend all of these as well.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 31, 2007, 06:04:55 pm »

My undersatnding is that the texts on that site are either without copy right for what ever reason or the copy right has expired or been waved. In which case copying for personal use should not be an issue, although if you ever wanted to reproduce it for what ever reason that might be different.

I regulary copy an paste into a word document and higlight the bits I want then print it out, but then I always was a sucker for a dead tree tome.

I think you're right -- I just browsed around the site and the books available are public domain, so it should be fine for me to copy and save what I'd like to have as reference.

Nice!  I hadn't known about this source before -- free is completely in my budget  Cheesy

DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 31, 2007, 06:05:31 pm »

Smiley TY

I'm checking out the first 2 on Sacred Texts

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 17, 2007, 05:28:23 pm »

Hi,

Sorry I managed to miss this earlier!  I do have some recommendations.   Cheesy

First, anything by Katharine Briggs is GREAT.  She is *the* single best source for straight-up fairy lore.  Some folks have brought up some issues of attribution and such wrt to Briggs, but the problematic stuff was almost entirely the product of her sometime co-author Ruth Tongue; Briggs herself is reliable.  The Encyclopedia of Faeries is your best bet; the entries are not just brief descriptions -- she usually reproduces collected material about that being.  Her other works, on the place of fairies in culture, is very solid -- a bit dated, but not egregiously so, and anyone doing work on fairies today needs to be familiar with it.

After Briggs's Encyclopedia, the single most important book, in my view, on fairies is Carole Silver's Strange and Secret Peoples:  Fairies and Victorian Consciousness.  If you want to understand fairy lore, I really think you need to understand the attitudes and ideas that went into the collecting of it -- it will help you understand the primary source material Violentsound listed.  Silver brilliantly ties in fairy beliefs, and fairy folkloristics, to broader cultural attitudes about gender, race, class, child-rearing, and so on; you get a painless crash course in Victorian folkloristics into the bargain, and that's something I think *everyone* interested in modern western paganisms should know something about, because a major chunk of our modern ideas -- especially the worst ones -- about paganism and witchcraft are rooted in Victorian scholarship.

Some others:
Peter Narvaez, ed.  The Good People:  New Fairylore Essays.  Great collection of recent folklore collecting of fairy beliefs.  There's also a terrific essay linking fairy abduction narratives with UFO abduction narratives, and suggesting that aliens now play the role in our cultural bogeyman repertoire that fairies once did.  Interesting!

Angela Bourke, The Burning of Bridget Cleary.  Fascinating account of the 1895 Irish case of the murder of Bridget Cleary by her husband and neighbors, who were convinced she was a fairy changeling.  Bourke is especially interested in the ways that this evidence of fairy belief among the Irish was interpreted and used by folklorists, and especially by political pundits -- the anti-Irish faction claimed this as evidence that the Irish were far too brutal and superstitious to be allowed independence.

That's just off the top of my head; check out the bibliographies of all these books.  and if you have access to a university library, check out not just the book catalog, but also the MLA database for articles.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: June 17, 2007, 05:39:50 pm »

Hi,

Sorry I managed to miss this earlier!  I do have some recommendations.   Cheesy

Oh good. Smiley I was hoping you'd see this one.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 18, 2007, 06:38:41 pm »

I'd second that and add The Gaelic Otherworld, edited by Ronald Black. It's a compilation of two books by John Gregorson Campbell with added commentary and lots of other lovely stuff. It's got lots of folklore and tales that might be of interest to you.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)