The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 27, 2020, 01:41:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2020, 01:41:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: TCN Social Network Now On Our Server  (Read 3359 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 19, 2010, 11:18:25 am »

We have restarted TCN (for the late time, we hope) on our own server. We started out with TCN at Kickapps. It wasn't very popular (as it wasn't very good) so we moved to Ning. It was very popular, but Ning moved to a "pay only" system this summer. We tried Spurtz for about 6 weeks. It wasn't well liked and soon put severe limits on free networks. Limits so small we could actually do better on our own server.

So I've set up TCN: The Cauldron Network on our server with the open source ELGG software. This is experimental as we have to see what this will do to server load and bandwidth, but so far it looks workable. It is not nearly as pretty as Ning or Spurtz (but looks better than Kickapps) and the features very from okay to excellent.

ADDED: 26 December 2010: It is IMPOSSIBLE to directly register on TCN any more due to spammers flooding TCN with registration attempts (100s per day) that have to be manually rejected one by one. The only way to get a membership is for yours truly to create one for you. If you are a active member of this board (i.e. have made a few posts here recently) you may PM me asking for a TCN membership. I will create you an account when I get a chance -- the process is manual and not instant.

Link: http://www.ecauldron.net/tcn.php

Usage Notes:
1) "Friend" really means follower as it does not require approval by the "friend" (There is an addon to make the friend feature work like most expect, but it does not work with the current branch of the software)

2) Moving from area to area requires using the TOOLS menu.

3) If you want people to be able to see your photos / read your blog entries /etc. without having to be a TCN member, be sure they are set "public"

4) TCN may not look pretty, but the groups have a lot of features.

To create a TCN account:
1) Register.
2) Get the email and click on the validate link.
3 AFTER you do that, the admin (me) can activate your account and after I do that you can log in. (NOTE: This is done manually and I only check a couple of times a day.)

Fixing TCN Registration Problems:
1) If it tells you an account exists with your username and you tried to create an account with that name before and it looked like it failed, it actually worked.  Sad

2) If you don't get a verification email, try returning to the TCN page and attempting to log in. That sometimes makes it send out the verification email.

In Your Message Board Profile:
Once you register, be sure to put your TCN login id in the TCN field of your profile. This will create a link in your profile and in your posts. If you have a link there now to the old TCN on Ning or Spurtz, you need to remove it.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:04:03 am by RandallS, Reason: See Added note on Closed Registration » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: July 19, 2010, 11:33:02 am »

Once you register, be sure to put your TCN login id in the TCN field of your profile. This will create a link in your profile and in your posts. If you have a link there now to the old TCN on Ning or Spurtz, you need to remove it.

Slight clarification:  The field only asks for your ID, so if your ID is exactly the same on the new TCN as it was on previous iterations, you shouldn't have to change anything, right?  (At least, mine still seems to work without modification.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 19, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »

Slight clarification:  The field only asks for your ID, so if your ID is exactly the same on the new TCN as it was on previous iterations, you shouldn't have to change anything, right?  (At least, mine still seems to work without modification.)

True, if your login id for the new TCN is the same as what is currently in your profile, you should not need to change the info in your profile.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 19, 2010, 08:17:06 pm »

So I've set up TCN: The Cauldron Network on our server with the open source ELGG software.

Thanks, Randall!

I tried to log in and it sent the verification email.  I clicked the link and it told me I was verified but when I tried to log in I got this:

We couldn't log you in. This may be because you haven't validated your account yet, the details you supplied were incorrect, or you have made too many incorrect login attempts. Make sure your details are correct and please try again.

Huh
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 19, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »

Thanks, Randall!

I tried to log in and it sent the verification email.  I clicked the link and it told me I was verified but when I tried to log in I got....:

Huh

Unfortunately, you cannot log in until step three -- I manually activate your account. The error messages it gives are not always helpful, unfortunately.

I've just verified accounts (your among them). I only do this a couple of times a day so there is a delay. Ning and Spurtz had the same delay -- as I had to manually verify accounts there as well.

Randall
Arcadia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 11, 2020, 08:06:58 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Polytheist, dedicated to Artemis, Dionysus, Aurora.
TCN ID: Arcadia

Guided be the hand and mind

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 26, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »

We have restarted TCN (for the late time, we hope) on our own server. We started out with TCN at Kickapps. It wasn't very popular (as it wasn't very good) so we moved to Ning. It was very popular, but Ning moved to a "pay only" system this summer. We tried Spurtz for about 6 weeks. It wasn't well liked and soon put severe limits on free networks. Limits so small we could actually do better on our own server.

So I've set up TCN: The Cauldron Network on our server with the open source ELGG software. This is experimental as we have to see what this will do to server load and bandwidth, but so far it looks workable. It is not nearly as pretty as Ning or Spurtz (but looks better than Kickapps) and the features very from okay to excellent.

Usage Notes:
1) "Friend" really means follower as it does not require approval by the "friend" (There is an addon to make the friend feature work like most expect, but it does not work with the current branch of the software)

2) Moving from area to area requires using the TOOLS menu.

3) If you want people to be able to see your photos / read your blog entries /etc. without having to be a TCN member, be sure they are set "public"

4) TCN may not look pretty, but the groups have a lot of features.

To create a TCN account:
1) Register.
2) Get the email and click on the validate link.
3 AFTER you do that, the admin (me) can activate your account and after I do that you can log in. (NOTE: This is done manually and I only check a couple of times a day.)

Fixing TCN Registration Problems:
1) If it tells you an account exists with your username and you tried to create an account with that name before and it looked like it failed, it actually worked.  Sad

2) If you don't get a verification email, try returning to the TCN page and attempting to log in. That sometimes makes it send out the verification email.

I can't seem to be able to register. I seem to remember being registered a while back but I can't remember if it was on the old one or this one. Anyhow, I have tried registering, it does not accept my attempts, I have also tried retrieving lost password which doesn't work. I haven't received any verification emails. Can you help? What am I doing wrong ):
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: December 27, 2010, 05:57:17 am »

I can't seem to be able to register. I seem to remember being registered a while back but I can't remember if it was on the old one or this one. Anyhow, I have tried registering, it does not accept my attempts, I have also tried retrieving lost password which doesn't work. I haven't received any verification emails. Can you help? What am I doing wrong ):

It will probably help if you could be more specific...  When you say it "doesn't work", what do you mean?  What does it do when you try to register?  Do you get any kind of error message, or does it look like it worked but then you never get the e-mail, or something else entirely?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: December 27, 2010, 08:06:15 am »

Since the situation with Spammers flooding TCN with hundreds of registrations each day (when registrations are "open") appears to be permanent (it was discussed in another thread), I have added this note to the first post in this thread:

ADDED: 26 December 2010: It is IMPOSSIBLE to directly register on TCN any more due to spammers flooding TCN with registration attempts (100s per day) that have to be manually rejected one by one. The only way to get a membership is for yours truly to create one for you. If you are a active member of this board (i.e. have made a few posts here recently) you may PM me asking for a TCN membership. I will create you an account when I get a chance -- the process is manual and not instant.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)