The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 02:09:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 02:09:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Elemental Correspondences of Crystals and Gemstones  (Read 7957 times)
Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 31, 2007, 04:04:26 pm »

One of the things that I really liked from Scott Cunningham's "Wicca for the Solitary Practicioner" is where he talks about using stones/crystals making up a circle.  He talks about using quartz points to form the circle and then using a large stone for each of the four cardinal directions.

I want to incorporate this into my magick working, I've yet to cast a circle and feel like I should have a stone for each cardinal direction/element before I cast my first one.

My problem is that I know there has to be more correspondences than the twenty or so stones that Scott Cunningham mentions, some of them which I may already have.

My question, how should I go about classifying the stones?  I could go the "color" route, such as saying Citrine is East because it's yellow for Air, or the "logic" route, and say that Lava [stone] is South for Fire, not because it's black or gray but because lava is firey.  It seems that Scott Cunningham uses both of these interchangably.  Furthermore, to complicate things I've come across elemental correspondences for stones on Feng Shui websites and other esoteric sites like on this Feng Shui site and this other site.  Of course there are some conflicts so I'm having a hard time deciding what makes sense for what.

I'm looking for input from anyone who works with crystals and/or minerals and gemstones.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 31, 2007, 05:49:19 pm »

I'm looking for input from anyone who works with crystals and/or minerals and gemstones.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

As long as the choices work for you and make sense in your mind, I think you could use any of the approaches to classifying the stones.  If lava makes sense to you as a Southern element, use it in the South.  One thing is certain, just because a book gives an association does not mean it's the right stone for you to use.  Better to use a stone that feels right to you based on your experience and purpose.  If you find yourself saying "Well, I know that Cunningham says this one, but the stone really doesn't feel right", go with your instincts!

I haven't used Cunningham's method for circle casting, but if I were to, I think I'd probably try to choose stones based not only on their elemental associations and their affinity for me, but also on their magical properties as well.  For example, if the purpose of casting was to do healing work, you might choose Amethyst for West because of its association with both water and healing.  For a love spell, rose quartz might be a better fit for the West, still associated with water, but also with love. 

I'd caution you against is using stones whose qualities clash against your magical purpose.  For example, if I were working on bringing calm and peace into my life, I would not choose citrine or garnet, which tend to be fiery and energizing. Nothing like trying to create peace when you're bouncing like Tigger.   Smiley

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 31, 2007, 06:09:49 pm »

One of the things that I really liked from Scott Cunningham's "Wicca for the Solitary Practicioner" is where he talks about using stones/crystals making up a circle.  He talks about using quartz points to form the circle and then using a large stone for each of the four cardinal directions.

I want to incorporate this into my magick working, I've yet to cast a circle and feel like I should have a stone for each cardinal direction/element before I cast my first one.

My problem is that I know there has to be more correspondences than the twenty or so stones that Scott Cunningham mentions, some of them which I may already have.

My question, how should I go about classifying the stones?  I could go the "color" route, such as saying Citrine is East because it's yellow for Air, or the "logic" route, and say that Lava [stone] is South for Fire, not because it's black or gray but because lava is firey.  It seems that Scott Cunningham uses both of these interchangably.  Furthermore, to complicate things I've come across elemental correspondences for stones on Feng Shui websites and other esoteric sites like on this Feng Shui site and this other site.  Of course there are some conflicts so I'm having a hard time deciding what makes sense for what.

You're probably best sticking to one system for correspondences.  Feng Shui comes from a different history and culture, so any match up with western occult correspondences will likely be coincidental. Smiley  And may differ altogether.

I've seen people tie their brains in knots trying to make everything in the world work as one cohesive system. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 01, 2007, 09:23:55 am »

Are you any good at psychometry?  I would scan a bunch of stones, and see which one "feels" right for that particular direction, and go with that one.  Since it is YOUR magic, you have to do what is right for YOU. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Stephers
Last Login:July 19, 2007, 01:17:25 pm

Religion: Pagan - Non-Specific

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 01, 2007, 01:16:34 pm »

Hello Derg,

I like the advice given here so far so I won't repeat that. Smiley

In addition to feeling what's right for you, if that's not an option, what I would do personally is begin with what was logical.  The lava rock would definitely go in the South, amber (being ancient sap) would go in the North (for the earth / nature reference), and from there I would do what seemed most reasonable for the West and East.

I would almost certainly use turqoise for the West, but I'm not sure what I would use for the East.  I would look for a yellow stone for the East, but beyond that I'm not sure.  Perhaps citrine since it's yellow and the sun rises in the East, but my mind also attribute that stone to fire so that would be a little confusing for me.

These are just my personal musings of course, and my ideas are just ideas. :-)

~Steph

Shadows In Motion, me spiritual musings blog
PGP Key
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 01, 2007, 06:39:26 pm »

Please leave the quote at the top and cut any unneeded text from it. Be sure to leave the starting and ending quote bbcode intact. Thank you.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 02, 2007, 12:12:27 am »

First off, any of the ways you've spoken of can work. Let me ask you this, do you have some of these stones you're thinking of you using or can you get your hands on them easily? Because if you have some already or can easily get a few I would grab a stone, hold it, look at it, and take a few minutes with it. Make some notes about what you think it might correspond with and then go look it up in a book or on the internet. See which system your instincts corresponded to. If you were reacting to the color then go with that, etc. Does that make sense? You might have an immediate answer on this if you work with the stones in question.

I don't think there's a wrong way to go about it, you just want to go with the one that really speaks to you and you connect well with.

Melanie
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 02, 2007, 01:15:16 pm »

I use stones for the directions too, although I think I got the idea from Dianne Sylvan.  (Who was influenced by Scott Cunningham, so that might have been the origin.)  They're not large though - just basic tumbled stones.  I've got one set helping anchor the wards on my room, and one set (that I put together before the other one) that I sometimes take with me if I want to mark the quarters elsewhere.  I don't always use them when I cast circle, though.

The set in use:
Air - blue lace agate.  I've seen this listed as an air stone, and it makes sense to me.  Looks kinda like clouds. 
Fire - carnelian.  Firey colored, and I associate it with warrior path stuff, which I associate with fire. 
Water - aquamarine.  Blue, and its name means "sea water". 
Earth - tigereye.  Mostly because of color.

The "traveling" set:
Air - moonstone. This one was chosen for color, although these days I would consider moonstone more water because of the moon-tides connection.
Fire - carnelian. Same as above.
Water - sodalite.  Chosen for color.
Earth - hematite - color, plus it's heavy and grounding.  (Although these days I associate it somewhat with the firey energy of the Iron Pentacle.  Carnelian also fits with it, as it's colored red because of iron.)

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 03, 2007, 01:38:32 am »

I've got one set helping anchor the wards on my room, and one set (that I put together before the other one) that I sometimes take with me if I want to mark the quarters elsewhere.  I don't always use them when I cast circle, though.
Yeah, I'd see stones marking quarters as more associated with anchoring wards, than with casting circles.  Not that one couldn't do the latter - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work - but a circle is usually short-term enough, and slightly different in nature, not to need anchors in most circumstances.  If I'm casting a circle, I'd most likely use candles to mark the quarters and house the elemental guardians (or no physical objects, in a more informal circle) - the flame of a lit candle really reinforces the idea of presence.  I wouldn't, OTOH, think of candles to anchor wards, probably because they wouldn't seem "activated" when they weren't lit.

My wards are anchored by "imaginary" (i.e., visualized, non-physical) stones.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: June 03, 2007, 03:45:50 am »

Air - blue lace agate.  I've seen this listed as an air stone, and it makes sense to me.  Looks kinda like clouds. 

Plus it is as healing stone used on the throat chakra, to help in communication - which fits Air just fine.  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Justitia
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 11, 2007, 05:51:44 pm

Religion: Unitarian Universalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 09, 2007, 11:20:26 pm »

I'm looking for input from anyone who works with crystals and/or minerals and gemstones. 

I don't know that I have any advice, but I have also recently been bitten by the gemstone bug.  There is a booth at my local farmer's market that has stones from all over and I could spend hours looking at all the pretties, which brings me to my point.  Somewhat similar to the use what you think is best but also stop thinking, grap the first stones that catch your eye and place them where it "feels" right. 

Caveat, I have never been a fan of "other people's" correspondences.  Heck even earth air fire and water sometimes feels a like too much structure.

My favorite stones at the moment are a tiger's iron (mix red tiger's eye, agate and a couple of others)- this is my muscle power stone, a sunstone-very sparkly happy stone, and for personal expression jasper (I have a picture jasper and an ocean jasper)- wild and funky be true to all your many selves.  For my second tier favorites I have blue lace agate- calm academic, rhodonite- peppy bubblegum better in small doses (for some reason I don't understand most places I have looked say this is a calming stone), and unakite- changes my perspective

Some of these are close to the traditional interpretations but others (see rhodonite) are way off, but it works for me.  I love hearing how other people work with stones.   

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: June 10, 2007, 02:44:39 am »

I don't know that I have any advice, but I have also recently been bitten by the gemstone bug. 

Oh yes, Stones are highly addictive  Grin

rhodonite- peppy bubblegum better in small doses (for some reason I don't understand most places I have looked say this is a calming stone), (snip)

Some of these are close to the traditional interpretations but others (see rhodonite) are way off, but it works for me.  I love hearing how other people work with stones.   

As far 'traditional' interpretation goes - everyone is an individual and results may vary - so the own experiences should be regarded higher, than something standing in a book f.ex.

Rhodonite - calming? *clears throat* Rhodonite is a ruthless power-up-kick-your-butt-but-let-you-drop-afterwards Stone, my opinion Wink Tigeriron for longer use is much better.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.