The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2020, 03:41:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 03:41:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook.  (Read 13836 times)
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 20, 2010, 03:33:28 am »

Ya that is freaky, I finally had to make my page friends only (dealing with a bit of a creepy guy issue), which I really did not want to do.

Mine is friends only and that does not help...way too many creepers out there for my taste.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella Mathúin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 20, 2010, 03:36:28 am »

Mine is friends only and that does not help...way too many creepers out there for my taste.

I'm in the fingers crossed-see if it helps stage lol.. I have to many folks I like and only have contact with through facebook to delete the page.

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 20, 2010, 08:43:56 am »

Mine has been friends only since I created it, but that's mostly because there are a couple of people that I would rather not be found by. In the end, to relieve my paranoia, I ended up putting them in the "blocked category" so now, even if we have the same friends (and I do with all three of the people I have blocked), they don't exist! They could even post on a mutual friend's status and I would have no idea!

I keep FB because my mom finally climbed into the networking sites thing and she always needs new pictures of the baby.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 20, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »

I keep FB because my mom finally climbed into the networking sites thing and she always needs new pictures of the baby.
I keep mine because in college if you don't have one you're a social outcast. That and employers have started looking at facebook profiles to make sure that you have "a good character"!

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 20, 2010, 06:49:03 pm »

employers have started looking at facebook profiles to make sure that you have "a good character"!

Which is why I will never have that sort of account unless it is NOT in my RL name.  My personal life is not my employer's business.

AntlerandHerb.com
Petrichor
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 21, 2010, 03:26:58 pm »

Which is why I will never have that sort of account unless it is NOT in my RL name.  My personal life is not my employer's business.
And if you don't have one it makes your perspective employer wonder why and you're at a disadvantage when it comes to networking. I'm just really careful about what goes up there and what I say. Not just for future employment but for safety too. There's also the untag option if anyone puts up a bad picture of you.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: July 21, 2010, 10:53:28 pm »

And if you don't have one it makes your perspective employer wonder why and you're at a disadvantage when it comes to networking.

If my employer is interested in my business networking skills, he can find me on LinkedIn. If he's dumb enough to decide I'm disadvantaged because I don't have a Facebook page, then he's got other problems.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #22: July 21, 2010, 11:03:19 pm »

If my employer is interested in my business networking skills, he can find me on LinkedIn. If he's dumb enough to decide I'm disadvantaged because I don't have a Facebook page, then he's got other problems.

I was going to mention that.  I think that LinkedIn is a better choice for  public face.

Sperran
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: July 21, 2010, 11:06:04 pm »

I was going to mention that.  I think that LinkedIn is a better choice for  public face.

Sperran

Absolutely. Not that I use either of them, but I've got accounts for both.

Petrichor
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 21, 2010, 11:12:34 pm »

It's not so much that your employer thinks you're disadvantaged it's more like you just are, unfortunately. Mostly since LinkedIn is still less used the facebook (by 430 million). But I do agree that LinkedIn is better for business networking.

Paganwolf025
Apprentice
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 06:38:11 am

Religion: Unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 11, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »

I have Facebook but I rarely use it as I am not into the whole social Networking thing. I hate large crowds both online and in person. Not to mention Facebook is so blasted complicated to me. I'd delete it but I've got friends on it I like to check up on every now and then.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: November 12, 2010, 07:27:33 am »

It's not so much that your employer thinks you're disadvantaged it's more like you just are, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, do you have anything to back that up with? I ask because this is the sort of thing that is terribly subjective.

Mostly since LinkedIn is still less used the facebook (by 430 million). But I do agree that LinkedIn is better for business networking.

I don't think it matters which is used more. They're for different purposes. If I want to talk about the guy I went out with last Saturday, then Facebook is a more appropriate venue. That's all.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: November 12, 2010, 08:07:52 am »

Out of curiosity, do you have anything to back that up with? I ask because this is the sort of thing that is terribly subjective.

I use Facebook because it is the only way to communicate with some of my relatives (who seem to check it more far often than their email), but I don't really care for it (and certainly don't live on it, I check it once or twice a day most days. I don't think that I'd be very disadvantaged in general if it died tomorrow. It's no more "have to have" than instant messaging is -- something else I don't use (except for occasional planned chats with someone) because it lets people constantly interrupt me. Yet people have told me for years for disadvantaged I am by not having an IM client active all the time. Not having one active is a major advantage to me -- I can get work done.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: November 12, 2010, 08:59:43 am »

I use Facebook because it is the only way to communicate with some of my relatives (who seem to check it more far often than their email),

I can't tell you how pissed I get when I send an email to someone (and this is PARTICULARLY true of messages that have private information in them) and then have to go out to Facebook and tell that person to check his/her email.

but I don't really care for it (and certainly don't live on it, I check it once or twice a day most days. I don't think that I'd be very disadvantaged in general if it died tomorrow.

I'll be honest, Facebook reminds me very much of LJ but with more bells, whistles and privacy issues. And we ALL know how I feel about LJ

It's no more "have to have" than instant messaging is -- something else I don't use (except for occasional planned chats with someone) because it lets people constantly interrupt me. Yet people have told me for years for disadvantaged I am by not having an IM client active all the time. Not having one active is a major advantage to me -- I can get work done.

I always used IM much more than you, so I can attest to the fact that it interferes with work. It's rather like using a cell phone while driving...it's a distraction from the main thing being done. And (FWIW, for those of you wondering, I am a very good multitasker, so it's never been a case of not being able to do two things at once.)

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 12, 2010, 09:16:19 am »

It just freaks me out.  Google has this map that has pictures of every house I have ever lived in, now thanks to face book, my name gets googled, and there is me!  Making it way too easy for stalkers.

I've been reading.  I have facebook specifically so I can check on my daughter's site.  We've had the talk about knowing what other people have up about you and being careful what you put up, the surgeon who didn't get the job because of the drunk picture posted to her site held up as a case in point (it might be urban legend, but it's useful urban legend, cause employers can see things like that and they are affected by things like that.

any how, been reading this book

http://tinyurl.com/2889a26

How to Disappear: Erase Your Digital Footprint, Leave False Trails, and Vanish without a Trace

apparently, if you have a facebook page, forget about it.  You have to stay offline, etc, Facebook is wonderful for stalkers, even better than stupid coworkers that hand out your phone number without thinking.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)