The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 10:30:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 10:30:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for a Children's Lughnasagh?  (Read 4790 times)
Witch Mom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 16, 2010, 12:36:31 am
United States United States

Religion: Feri, Radical Faerie

Gravatar

Looking toward Venus...day and night!

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/p

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 20, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »

I am part of a pagan playdate group and we are designing our first sabbat for our kids, who range in age from 1 month to 5 years (my son will be 6 months at the time of the sabbat).

We have some basic ideas of how to proceed, but most activities designed for kids are aimed at kids at least 2 years old. Anyone with small children have some good ideas for this sabbat for kids?

For info on what we have talked about, read the blog post here:
http://parentingbythelightofthemoon.blogspot.com/2010/06/ideas-for-lughnasad.html

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:32:39 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject changed » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 20, 2010, 05:39:02 pm »

I am part of a pagan playdate group and we are designing our first sabbat for our kids, who range in age from 1 month to 5 years (my son will be 6 months at the time of the sabbat).

We have some basic ideas of how to proceed, but most activities designed for kids are aimed at kids at least 2 years old. Anyone with small children have some good ideas for this sabbat for kids?

For info on what we have talked about, read the blog post here:
http://parentingbythelightofthemoon.blogspot.com/2010/06/ideas-for-lughnasad.html

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure what a kid younger than two CAN do other than *be there* or *be elsewhere* .. other than maybe feed them the blessed whatnot?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 20, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »

I'm not sure what a kid younger than two CAN do other than *be there* or *be elsewhere* .. other than maybe feed them the blessed whatnot?

Gonna have to agree.  I didn't bring my boys to events until they were able to actively participate in circle. 

Outside of putting kiddo in a front pack and hoping they hang in there for the allotted time it's kind of limited.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 21, 2010, 07:55:23 am »

I agree too. I have two, two year olds and I think the best you can ask for is for them to play nice. lol. You could maybe have them decorate an altar or something, but they are going to have no idea whats going on.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 21, 2010, 08:38:09 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with the others about how rituals really aren't going to cut it for young children but if you want activites for babies and toddlers that relate to the sabbat then it should be doable. Obviously the younger the child the more tokenistic the activity but even a very young baby can use their senses to explore items which are symbolic for your group. For example if you are use wheat or corn in your imagery, then children can have a bowl (or tub) of kernals to play in. slightly older children could help stir bread or muffin mix and everyone can smell bread cooking. If you have any talented people in your group someone could make up a childrens song (I'm thinking like christmas songs here).

If I'm completely on the wrong page here apologies but you never know what might be helpful.  Smiley
Witch Mom
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 21, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »

If I'm completely on the wrong page here apologies but you never know what might be helpful.  Smiley

NO! You are exactly on the mark. I am not talking about taking a small child to an adult ritual where they will be bored. I am talking about designing a sabbat for them specifically- with activities that they can relate to.

Our group decided today on bread baking in the shape of the god to be sacrificed. Kids will be able to make their own bread god (similar to a gingerbread man) or at least get sticky (for ones my kid's age!) Then we will bake and eat, talk about harvest and sacrifice!

Frankly, most adult rituals are boring too! I am excited planning the kids' sabbats now- as they are much more joyful, embodied, and engaging than many adult rituals I've been to! Whee!

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 22, 2010, 12:13:56 am »

Fingerpainting, maybe? I have no kids so I don't know if its an age appropriate thing XD

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 22, 2010, 04:03:21 am »

Fingerpainting, maybe? I have no kids so I don't know if its an age appropriate thing XD

Fingerpainting is always appropriate at any age. Considering my love of art.. I would love to do fingerpainting as an activity during a festival. I actually think I have the tools to do so.. hmm..

Declaring this a lobbed-lightbulb successfully caught!  Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: July 22, 2010, 07:22:10 am »

With little-little kids who are likely to put everything in sight in their mouth, you have to watch what your materials are and make sure they're nontoxic.  Other than that, though, it should work for just about any kid who can sit up and has some degree of motor control over their hands.  My daughter started fingerpainting with colored pudding well before she was even a year old.

I don't know if the one-month-old mentioned in the original post will be able to manage it, but by six months I'd think there's a decent chance at least...  (And I'm not sure if there is much a one-month-old can manage, anyway.  At that age they're focused on eat/sleep/cry/poop, pretty much.  You could show them pictures or sing them songs, I guess, but I wouldn't expect a lot of participation.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Witch Mom
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 22, 2010, 09:49:47 am »

My daughter started fingerpainting with colored pudding well before she was even a year old.

How awesome is THAT! I am stealing that idea!

I don't know if the one-month-old mentioned in the original post will be able to manage it, but by six months I'd think there's a decent chance at least...  (And I'm not sure if there is much a one-month-old can manage, anyway.  At that age they're focused on eat/sleep/cry/poop, pretty much.  You could show them pictures or sing them songs, I guess, but I wouldn't expect a lot of participation.)

When my son was a month old, we included him in a small Imbolc ritual. Actaully, he was younger. Less than a month. We were tired parents, and he was totally blobular. But the blog post that talks about what we've done with him so far is here (Imbolc, Oestara, Beltaine, Midsummer):

Speaking of "external" links, I just created a pagan parenting group on TCN:
http://www.ecauldron.net/esocial/pg/groups/503/pagan-babies-and-kids-and-parents/
If you are a member here, you can become a member there!

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 22, 2010, 04:11:53 pm »

For the older kids, maybe a really simple art project based on your trad's ideas of Lughnasadh - coloring pictures of bread and corn, or gluing eyes and other bits on corn husks. You could even have them help make felt hand puppets and have a brave adult volunteer tell them an interactive story about the holiday. (No idea what your core myths or gods are - the first thing that pops in my mind is something like "And today is when we thank the Sun God for all the work he's done to make the crops grow! What sort of food do you like that grows from the ground? What sort of things come from wheat and corn? Well the Sun God helps us make all those foods!" Etc. etc.)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Witch Mom
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 30, 2010, 12:16:41 am »

For those who are interested, tonight the post is going up in the blog about what we did at Pagan Playdate's Lughnasadh!

http://parentingbythelightofthemoon.blogspot.com

Pictures, too!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)