The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:29:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:29:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: common law marriges  (Read 3839 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 21, 2010, 05:21:17 pm »

From a discussion in the divorce poll thread.

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=13421.0

Good, bad, history, etc.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 21, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »

From a discussion in the divorce poll thread.

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=13421.0

Good, bad, history, etc.

Also to consider divorce. Simple answer, to get divorced with a common law marriage you first have to prove you were married. One party is going to say, yes we were married and thus should follow state divorce law. Other party will say, no we were not married, so property is divided as per the names on accounts. So, if she has 19 years and 9 months of retirement credit, he would argue they were married so he gets a chunk of retirement pay.
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 21, 2010, 05:39:02 pm »

Also to consider divorce. Simple answer, to get divorced with a common law marriage you first have to prove you were married. One party is going to say, yes we were married and thus should follow state divorce law. Other party will say, no we were not married, so property is divided as per the names on accounts. So, if she has 19 years and 9 months of retirement credit, he would argue they were married so he gets a chunk of retirement pay.

A friend of a friend of mine owned a house and she and her boyfriend lived in it together for several years.  He contributed to the cost of the house beyond utilities.  When they split he took her to court for part of the house.  Unfortunately for him she had declared everything he gave her on her taxes as rental income.....she's a lawyer.

The whole 'palimony' thing has changed common law quite a bit.  Now no-one tries to prove common-law, just that they have a right to a share.

AntlerandHerb.com
stony
Journeyman
Last Login:January 22, 2012, 08:27:21 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 25, 2010, 10:16:41 pm »

A friend of a friend of mine owned a house and she and her boyfriend lived in it together for several years.  He contributed to the cost of the house beyond utilities.  When they split he took her to court for part of the house.  Unfortunately for him she had declared everything he gave her on her taxes as rental income.....she's a lawyer.

The whole 'palimony' thing has changed common law quite a bit.  Now no-one tries to prove common-law, just that they have a right to a share.

I think my state, Louisiana is the only state that doesnt recognize common law marriages.

Though my mind may wander it always comes back.
Therefore i need a better hiding place.
Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella MathĂșin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 25, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

I think my state, Louisiana is the only state that doesnt recognize common law marriages.

Georgia doesn't either, they used to but not anymore.

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 25, 2010, 10:24:07 pm »

It was posted up thread those 12 or so states that you can start (?) a common law marriage. Most other states recognize a common law marriages consumated in another state.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)