The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 12:49:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 12:49:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rituals & Offerings: what's REALLY going on?  (Read 10187 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: April 02, 2011, 09:29:01 pm »

Talking about religion and taking somebody's trust in your position as a teacher, and exploiting that trust into performing tasks that are not neccessary for reaching enlightenment, but that they do because they trust you, is different on the other hand.  If God was very simple, or spirituality, or taboo, or the concepts of any - people would be their own teachers on proper conduct along with society (in this world), with no intermediary human in between them and their aspirations/search for eternal knowledge and how to perform proper actions for their (now known, in this scenario) Concept of God(s).  But that doesn't seem to be the case, and I think that knowingly teaching people otherwise than your best understanding of proper and harmonious conduct with the world and with the being you profess, is an important disambiguity.

I can't understand why anyone would do something they thought wrong because someone claiming to speak for their god told them to do it. Surely, I'd think the guy who told Joe to murder his neighbor to appease God X was guilty, but less guilty than Joe who actually did the murder. You see it the opposite way.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mesquite
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2011, 12:33:24 am
United States United States

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 07, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »

--Ali

I agree with what Darkhawk and Ellen M. are saying, and I won't repeat all of it here.

I'll add:

In the natural world, there are flows of necessary energy and material,  animals eat plants and get it from them, parasitism, symbiosis, etc. What's in an ecosystem is defined by these energy flows.

In the human world, there  is a gift economy,  the community is knit together by giving, by paying forward instead of expecting payback, from each according to their abilities, to each according to their needs, etc. And that helps its members survive in very real ways.  The community is defined by the cycles of gift.

Whether the gods need offerings is debatable, I'm not sure they do.  Offerings are putting actions behind the words: We're making the gods part of our Ecosystem or Community.  Or that conversely, we're making *us* part of the gods' circle.

Also, the gift helps society work, so I think including it in religion is a way of helping make it important.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:52:11 pm by Mesquite, Reason: right spelling on someone\'s name » Logged

Kilmeny
Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 07:09:08 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist, Brigidine, TW

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: April 14, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »

Is his understanding of how rituals and offerings work fairly common? Is this a pretty good summary of how most people experience deity and understand the purpose of ritual? Have you had different experiences or a different understanding? What do others think about the purpose of ritual and offerings and why we do them?

Bonewit's idea of 'energy exchange' strikes me as a bit new-agey. I know some cultures have concepts of mana or chi but I'm not convinced every culture sees 'energy' this way.

Personally, I see offerings and rituals as distinct (although often combined) and I believe the understanding of why they were done would vary between cultures (just as 'how' they were done did.)

In my practice, giving something in offering is giving a gift, to show hospitality, to set up a 'contract' between human and gods/spirits, to sacrifice (in this sense, I mean give up something that is precious to you, as a sign of love and reverence) and as a physical form of praise. I believe that once it's given, the offering should not be disturbed, eaten on enjoyed by the giver except to dispose of it thoughtfully. To be honest, I don't even like the idea of taking photos of anything which has been handed over to the Gods. I'm aware this differs with other traditions though and respect that.

Ritual serves many purposes, as an extended form of prayer, as a rite to recognize something happening in the human or natural world, as a form of myth re-enactment to encourage a desired outcome, as a way to let human's 'experience' some divine mystery that cannot be explained in words, as a tradition to connect with ancestors, as a form of healing... etc. etc. Ritual is far too complex to sum up easily.

Do the Gods 'need' us? No, not really. Not any more than we need them. I often feel the the misunderstanding many of us have over the 'point' of offerings, comes from our own modern social values. Simple things like bread and milk and honey are cheap, easily obtainable and require little effort on our part, so we don't value them the way they would have been by a small, self sustaining community. These small amounts of food were the difference between life and death back then, they were a currency in themselves and took a great deal of hard work to acquire. Whether or not the Gods take the energy from offerings, or need or use them in any way, giving them up was a highly important act in the original context.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)