The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2020, 06:25:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 06:25:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Pagan - help!  (Read 15419 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 02, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

One definition of "natural", at least. Like many words in the English language, there are a whol;e lot of definitions for "natural".  38 are listed here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/natural

Yeah, it's a little clearer if you look up 'nature'. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nature

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: November 02, 2010, 05:17:57 pm »

Yeah, it's a little clearer if you look up 'nature'. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nature

I've never really understood why things made by people are not considered "natural." 

If a bird build a nest or a beaver builds a dam, it's "natural", right?  So, why are the rules different for people?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: November 02, 2010, 07:56:10 pm »

I believe 'not man-made' is actually the definition of 'natural'.

How so?

Or:  What Moon Ivy said.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 02, 2010, 08:25:52 pm »

How so?

Or:  What Moon Ivy said.

Because that is what the dictionary says and is what is the commonly understood definition of the word.

FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 02, 2010, 08:27:03 pm »

So, why are the rules different for people?

Not sure. I didn't invent the word, I'm just trying to use it properly.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: November 02, 2010, 09:26:09 pm »

Not sure. I didn't invent the word, I'm just trying to use it properly.

I wasn't really expecting you to answer.   Cheesy  It was more of a general question for discussion.

Humans are part of nature, no matter how it's defined.  IMO, at least.  So, whatever we do is "natural" in the sense that it's part of the world.  I don't get the value judgment that say things people make are not as good as things we don't make.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: November 03, 2010, 07:52:54 am »

So, whatever we do is "natural" in the sense that it's part of the world.  I don't get the value judgment that say things people make are not as good as things we don't make.

Exactly. I can understand separating man-made from not-man-made and even using the tern "natural" to describe the later. What annoys me a lot is the was some people call man-made things "unnatural". 

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 03, 2010, 10:24:30 am »

I don't get the value judgment that say things people make are not as good as things we don't make.

I didn't see where anyone was saying the value of man-made vs. non-man-made was lesser. Just that they are different. A beaver dam is not the same as a styrofoam plate. If everything is of nature, then the term nature becomes rather useless. I think there is value in defining things for the usefulness of communication. One doesn't say, "I'm going to go take a walk in nature" and then head over to the GM plant for a stroll. 

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: November 03, 2010, 12:17:46 pm »

I didn't see where anyone was saying the value of man-made vs. non-man-made was lesser. Just that they are different. A beaver dam is not the same as a styrofoam plate. If everything is of nature, then the term nature becomes rather useless. I think there is value in defining things for the usefulness of communication. One doesn't say, "I'm going to go take a walk in nature" and then head over to the GM plant for a stroll. 

Not in this thread, no.  And I wasn't implying that anyone was.  Nor was I directing anything at you.  (Just hanging my comments on your posts for convenience.)

And I do understand how the word "nature" is used.  I don't really have a big quibble with that, either.

I'm just making the point that people are part of nature, too, as others did.  I just thought it was a particularly interesting aspect of the conversation.

Nobody in this thread has said that "man-made" = lesser.  But that attitude is definitely fairly prominent in many pagan circles. Since the question was about being pagan in an urban area, and many of the responses had to do with finding "nature", the idea of nature being separate from people is relevant.

FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 03, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »

I'm just making the point that people are part of nature, too, as others did.  I just thought it was a particularly interesting aspect of the conversation.

I agree with that point. People are certainly naturally-occurring. But many of things that people make are so far away from 'natural' that I'm not sure the term applies to them anymore(the things, not the people).  When something has to be synthesized and processed in a lab or factory to be made and then doesn't decompose it doesn't have the same origin or life cycle of a bee hive or bird's nest.

Nobody in this thread has said that "man-made" = lesser.  But that attitude is definitely fairly prominent in many pagan circles. Since the question was about being pagan in an urban area, and many of the responses had to do with finding "nature", the idea of nature being separate from people is relevant.

I can understand the need to seek comfort and mystery in things outside the human world. I live in the city, when I go out to the barn for my riding lesson the air is different. The smell is different and the feeling is different. I love my warm, heated house and my laptop and my BlackBerry, but going out into the woods or country can bring about a different spiritual effect than sitting in a coffee shop. I think there is validity, for some people, in seeking out places away from human influence. I'm not saying they are better, just different.

Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 26, 2010, 10:17:21 am »

I can understand the need to seek comfort and mystery in things outside the human world. I live in the city, when I go out to the barn for my riding lesson the air is different. The smell is different and the feeling is different. I love my warm, heated house and my laptop and my BlackBerry, but going out into the woods or country can bring about a different spiritual effect than sitting in a coffee shop. I think there is validity, for some people, in seeking out places away from human influence. I'm not saying they are better, just different.
[/quote]

Natural Magic for City Folk-

Track the seasons by grocery shopping and visiting the local florists. Take home seasonal fruits and flowers to adorn your alter.

Miss your favorite sacred grove? Craft and dedicate a Stang.

Taking a processional walk from the bath tub to the living room can be just a special when done with the right heart.

I am actually putting together a pocket alter to take with me in my truck.

One of my favorite spiritual practices is to change my screen saver to honor the current celebration of the Wheel of the year.

I'm even considering making a small frame, the size of a welcome mat, and filling it with river rock to stand on during ritual.

Worship should be fun.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 04, 2011, 06:48:02 pm »

I'm even considering making a small frame, the size of a welcome mat, and filling it with river rock to stand on during ritual.

This is a great thought.  To be able to do it even larger, 3x5 ft or even bigger, perhaps custom with a concrete/ mosaic filler around and strategically level spots for a coffee table?  Wish I had a space for something like that right now.  Would be great to have one big enough to lay on!

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 04, 2011, 10:31:42 pm »

This is a great thought.  To be able to do it even larger, 3x5 ft or even bigger, perhaps custom with a concrete/ mosaic filler around and strategically level spots for a coffee table?  Wish I had a space for something like that right now.  Would be great to have one big enough to lay on!

Oooooh, river rock bed...nice.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 09, 2011, 04:19:25 am »

I think I've been spoiled from living in the middle of nowhere, so now I have these strange ideas that I HAVE to have a sacred grove for my rituals, HAVE to grow my own herbs in a garden, HAVE to see the full moon reflected in water, and so on, haha.

If I waited for the moon to show enough to be reflected in water, I'd NEVER get any lunar work done. It's cloudy much more often than not here. Just knowing it's there and visualising it works for me. Also, herbs grow in pots every bit as well as in a garden.

Also, I can wholeheartedly recommend "The Urban Primitive: Paganism in the Concrete Jungle" by Raven Kaldera and Tannin Schwartzstein.

A brilliant read.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 10, 2011, 09:40:55 pm »

I hope you'll excuse me, maybe I should have posted this in the newbie section, or maybe there are loads of information on this subject other places on this site that I couldn't find...
I hope for some advice from those of you practising your Pagan faith in urban areas.

If you're practicing an earth-based faith in the city, you might look into finding an urban foraging group (or class, because it's a great way to connect with others as well as learn what the city offers.) A local herbalist here does monthly walks where she takes a group of people on a ... well, a walk, to see what herbs and useful wild edibles might be around. Perhaps learning to see nature everywhere, in a situation where you don't see it without trying, would be more powerful than being knee deep in mossy rocks and wild violets. (Not that that doesn't have it's merits too, and honestly, it's what I'm aiming for. But in the meantime...  Smiley) Having to attune your eyes and mind to really grasp Nature when it doesn't look like a majestic vista or idyllic meadow could be really meaningful. There are also urban gardening groups/classes, etc etc. Whether it's learning to garden in a small space, or getting involved in a community garden, or both, it's helpful to dig in the dirt and become part of the sowing/harvesting cycle.

You might also want to look for a permaculture group - Meetup.com has them for some places, and one of the benefits of urban living is more access to groups of all kinds.

I definitely understand the attachment to the "natural" -- perhaps a better word would be "unprocessed" or "less processed"? That might convey more, since the word natural seems to be in question.  Hey, it works with food. An apple is less processed than a chocolate chip cookie. A tree is less processed than a Camaro.  Smiley

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)