The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 04:40:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 04:40:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Pagan - help!  (Read 15799 times)
blue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 01:09:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: pantheist

*slightly otherworldly*

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 21, 2011, 07:42:53 pm »

I agree with that point. People are certainly naturally-occurring. But many of things that people make are so far away from 'natural' that I'm not sure the term applies to them anymore(the things, not the people).  When something has to be synthesized and processed in a lab or factory to be made and then doesn't decompose it doesn't have the same origin or life cycle of a bee hive or bird's nest.

as a pantheist, i believe that if it exists it is divinity from your shoe to your nose. so, it's not necessary to go to the woods, etc. other than to see something you might find pretty.

"if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"-albert einstein

"not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -albert einstein

'somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.'-carl sagan

"blessed are the smile makers"-unknown

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 21, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »

as a pantheist, i believe that if it exists it is divinity from your shoe to your nose.

Right. But my point was that just because it's divine doesn't automatically mean it's natural.

Incidentally, nature bit my shoe today.  Roll Eyes

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
blue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 01:09:01 pm

Religion: pantheist

*slightly otherworldly*

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: April 21, 2011, 07:58:26 pm »

Right. But my point was that just because it's divine doesn't automatically mean it's natural.

Incidentally, nature bit my shoe today.  Roll Eyes

ha!

actually, i have a hard time separating the two thinking that if it exists it's natural. if humans create something out of plastic it's because it's human nature to do so (i.e. make stuff to make our lives seemingly easier, etc.). the fact that this plastic item doesn't get along very well with plants and animals is irrelivant.
so, everything is nature or of nature (if you will). i did read the posts with definitions etc.
anyhoo, this is how i see it. the tree is natural and divinity and the plastic water bottle is natural and divinity.

"if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"-albert einstein

"not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -albert einstein

'somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.'-carl sagan

"blessed are the smile makers"-unknown
Ritual House
Apprentice
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 01:25:19 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

facebook.com/sudekum

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 03, 2011, 07:13:20 pm »

When you live in the middle of a city, what do you do to stay close to nature? Are there other aspects I could focus on while I'm saving up money to buy a house with a garden?

I live in North Brooklyn, at the heart of the world's largest city. It is definitely a tough environment I for Pagan practice. The Brooklyn Botanical garden and Prospect Park are both nice natural refuges though.

Ironically enough, one of the best places in the city to feel a real Pagan connection is the Cloisters, an area way up in upper Manhattan where the Met's Medieval department reconstructed a Christian monastery from architectural elements, both domestic and religious, that date from the twelfth through the fifteenth century.

A lot of this supposedly Christian stuff is mixed pretty freely with pagan symbols. There are sunwheels and suncrosses everywhere. My avatar is a picture of a beautiful foliate sunwheel I discovered on a stained glass window there. There is even a chair in the unicorn room which has the wheel of the year on it.

Not to mention the walk there. If you get out at the far end of the 190th Street station (the opposite end from the elevator) there is an amazing walk up a wooded cliff-side. The first time I went was with my lover in the rain. We got wet, but the weather scared everyone else away, so there was no one to bother us. Going up those old stone steps was like climbing a slippery mountain path in some ancient wilderness. It was amazing.

AmberHeart
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Dianic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: May 08, 2011, 10:50:34 am »

I live in North Brooklyn, at the heart of the world's largest city. It is definitely a tough environment I for Pagan practice. The Brooklyn Botanical garden and Prospect Park are both nice natural refuges though.

Ironically enough, one of the best places in the city to feel a real Pagan connection is the Cloisters, an area way up in upper Manhattan where the Met's Medieval department reconstructed a Christian monastery from architectural elements, both domestic and religious, that date from the twelfth through the fifteenth century.

A lot of this supposedly Christian stuff is mixed pretty freely with pagan symbols. There are sunwheels and suncrosses everywhere. My avatar is a picture of a beautiful foliate sunwheel I discovered on a stained glass window there. There is even a chair in the unicorn room which has the wheel of the year on it.

Not to mention the walk there. If you get out at the far end of the 190th Street station (the opposite end from the elevator) there is an amazing walk up a wooded cliff-side. The first time I went was with my lover in the rain. We got wet, but the weather scared everyone else away, so there was no one to bother us. Going up those old stone steps was like climbing a slippery mountain path in some ancient wilderness. It was amazing.

I love NY and the very first place I ever went when I visited decades ago was all the way up to the Cloisters. I believe (it has been a while...) that the main elements were from three actual cloisters disassembled from Europe and shipped over by the Rockefellers(?). The layout of the Cloisters is in itself very meditative.

Many of the plants that are grown in these medieval-authentic gardens also have recorded magical purposes. Tanya Bayard published a book on the Cloister Gardens, which I bought at their gift shop and it has remained a valuable part of my herbology library over the years.

Good memories. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)