The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 01:12:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 01:12:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Patron Gods/Goddesses  (Read 2998 times)
cpink1022
Last Login:August 28, 2010, 11:17:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 25, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »

I was curious about patron gods and goddesses. Mostly I wanted to know what it was and how someone goes about getting one. Could anyone help me out with this, please?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 25, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »

I was curious about patron gods and goddesses. Mostly I wanted to know what it was and how someone goes about getting one. Could anyone help me out with this, please?

A patron relationship is different for every human and deity involved. There's really no one way to "get" a patron - the same way there's no surefire method of meeting the love of your life. Sometimes it's crazy random happenstance. Sometimes it's putting your name up on eHarmony or whatever. Sometimes it's meeting as many people as possible, or focusing on one person you're really good friends with to maybe be something more.

For myself, I have three deities I consider patrons. Dionysus has been with me a long time, and that relationship just sort of happened over the course of four years. Athena was the patron of my old college and so I chose to start a relationship with her, and she's stuck around for more than two years. And Pan showed up last summer and was the only person to officially declare himself my patron.

Patron relationships are in no way necessary to be a Pagan or have a fulfilling relationship with a deity. In fact, they're a pretty rare, somewhat modern phenomenon.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 25, 2010, 09:19:21 pm »

In my experience there are a number of kinds of patronage, for a variety of reasons. Most of the Pagan's I have come across have a "personal patron", that being a deity to whom they feel a deep connection or have been "thwaped" so to speak; usually through a combination of studying said deity and UPG.

Other kinds of patronage often revolve around function/profession and familial/ house deities.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 25, 2010, 09:50:30 pm »

I think one thing that's important to remember is that developing a relationship with a patron takes a great deal of dedication and time.  There are a few of us whose patrons made their presence known in a very obvious way.  (This is the "thwapp" to which you are referring).   You'll see a disproportionate number of people like that represented on the Cauldron, but that type of experience outside TC is very rare. 

Most of the time, building a relationship with deity involves plowing through mythology books until one or more deities stands out.  Then you just keep on reading.  Most people eventually get a sense that some of the interest is reciprocated but it's usually quite subtle.  One has to learn to listen.  I've found it very important to take a few minutes of quiet time each day to spend with the Gods.  Usually I make my offerings in the morning, partially because morning rituals are traditional on the Kemetic path, and  partially because I know that if I wait until later in the day, I'll get so caught up in everything I have to do that I'll forget about my religious commitments.  Relationships with Gods require some form of maintenance, just like any relationships.  If you don't call your human friends and family for awhile, you're going to grow apart.  It is the same with the Gods. 

Ellen already said that most people don't have specific patrons, and that's a good point to bring up.  I also want to mention that there are advantages to not having one.  Going without that commitment gives you a chance to have a broader focus in your path.  You might find that you have relationships with a wider array of deities, even if they aren't as intimate as you might have with only one or two patrons.  Personally I love Ausir very much but I'll confess there are days when I wish I had more time to pray to other Gods or give them offerings.  He has never told me that I can't worship other Gods but the time commitment makes it difficult to deepen those other relationships. 

I'm not saying this because having a patron is a bad thing.  As I said, I love him and I wouldn't want to have it any other way.  I'm only saying that it's worth giving this some thought before assuming that a patron is what you want.  If you invite that type of relationship, you might find that a God takes notice and accepts the invitation.  Then you might find out you're in over your head Wink Take some time to study and contemplate.  There's no hurry on any of this.
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 25, 2010, 11:26:28 pm »

If you want one, (I think they are wonderful to have because they really do look after the people who are devoted to them, but it does take a lot of work) I suggest a simple ritual.  Basically, just get into a meditative state, (you can cast a circle and light a candle if you prefer) and tell the deities that you want a patron that will best best for you at this time in your life.
   I don't know if other people have this, but my patrons have changed in the last few years, and one of them explained to me that in different periods of my life, I need different influences.  I still have a great relationship with the ones I had in the past, but they are not my primary focus.  My first two I path-worked to find.  Others have given me random signs.  Shango gave me a not so subtle one where ignoring it would be like ignoring a bolt of lightning (no pun intended).  One thing though, different people will have different experiences; I don't think I have found any two that are the same.
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 25, 2010, 11:28:46 pm »

they really do look after the people who are devoted to them

Yes, they most certainly do Smiley
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 05, 2010, 11:41:24 pm »

There are a few of us whose patrons made their presence known in a very obvious way.  (This is the "thwapp" to which you are referring).

My patron, Aphrodite, kept silent for a long time, only making her presence known in little ways until I was fully ready to accept Her.  When that day came, it was just like everything clicked into place.  It was an amazing feeling.  I am just starting out having a full on relationship with her now, but I feel more fulfilled than I did before.  Sometimes it just happens.
Abgeneth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:39:02 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: (British Traditional) Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 06, 2010, 01:24:59 am »

My patron, Aphrodite, kept silent for a long time, only making her presence known in little ways until I was fully ready to accept Her.  When that day came, it was just like everything clicked into place.  It was an amazing feeling.  I am just starting out having a full on relationship with her now, but I feel more fulfilled than I did before.  Sometimes it just happens.

Yes Smiley

My patrons sort of crept through the keyhole. For a long time I subconsciously tried to ignore them, but if someone is persistently tapping you on the shoulder, you can't ignore them forever…

The first one came to me when I worked on an art puzzle I had lying around for years, which shows a magnificent old painting by Carravaggio. The second one then came in a similar way. After I had finished the first puzzle I had a compelling feeling that I had to watch out for a matching puzzle for the goddess. And there she was, knocking my life all over and leaving me (after a while at least *g*) happier than I would have imagined I could ever be Smiley

With other words, @ cpink:
Don't worry about patron deities too much. This sort of relationship seems to work best if you are ready for it, and when you are ready, there will probably be a deity who won't leave you alone until you take notice of them.
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 11, 2010, 03:46:35 pm »

I happen to agree with Nehet, who posted above.  Read. Read read read! Do research. Don't just rely on what you find on teh intarwebz, either, because a lot of that info can be iffy.  But see if anyone stands out to you... it might be a whisper or a shout.

Figure out what you want in your life... what areas of yourself you might need to improve on.  What things you're good at and enjoy doing, and what you can do for other folks around you... and see if there's a deity that has attributes that could help you in improving, or doing, or helping.

For me, Hermes thwapped me after a little bit of research when I was much younger.

Just recently, I thought I was dedicated to Hathor, but we just weren't right for each other, and parted ways amicably.  After that, I called out in prayer and via research to find a goddess who would sort of balance out the maleness of Hermes (though he's really balanced with the male-female himself)... and two deities answered. I had to search long and hard for who they were. LONG and hard, with lots of reading, but one I think has been with me for a long time without me realizing it, and the other came when I called.

I agree with the others, though.  A patron's a lot like having a best friend or significant other. You have to spend a lot of time working with them, being with them, getting to know them. It's not just a "Hey! I like you because you have  cats pulling your chariot and I like some of the tales about you. Let me pray to you and you give me what I want but I only want to know the basics about you and I'll only think about you on Sundays when I need pie."

It's difficult, maintaining most patron relationships... but it is definitely, absolutely worth it if you find the right one. Or they find you. Smiley

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
FrancoFerret
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 10:40:24 pm

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist & Eclectic Pagan

Gravatar

May I please check your closet for Narnia?

Blog entries (0)

francob

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 13, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »

I believe my guardian patron is St. Rose of Lima, google her if you don't know her, She's a catholic Saint.
Yes, I'm a pagan, but I was raised catholic, and even though I never felt close to the religion I always felt close to the saint; I was baptized in a church named after her. Plus she's Peruvian, and so am I. While I do not follow Christianity, I hold a pantheist belief. I think that more pagans need to be open about Christianity symbolism, we automatically reject them because of prejudice.
Also, lately I've been feeling pretty close to Harmonia, the Greek goddess of Harmony, but it's too early to see if any relationship will develop.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 13, 2010, 11:55:07 pm »

I believe my guardian patron is St. Rose of Lima, google her if you don't know her, She's a catholic Saint.
Yes, I'm a pagan, but I was raised catholic, and even though I never felt close to the religion I always felt close to the saint; I was baptized in a church named after her. Plus she's Peruvian, and so am I. While I do not follow Christianity, I hold a pantheist belief. I think that more pagans need to be open about Christianity symbolism, we automatically reject them because of prejudice.
Also, lately I've been feeling pretty close to Harmonia, the Greek goddess of Harmony, but it's too early to see if any relationship will develop.

I've had a few nudges from saints here and there, and I was raised Baptist/Protestant - nary a saint in sight. Smiley In particular, Anthony, Francis, and Joan have at least extended invitations. I've always wanted to learn more about saints, particularly in the context of Catholicism (I know about them more through Voodoo and related paths).

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Nomad of Nowhere
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2012, 01:48:26 am

Religion: Slavic Polytheist

Gdje Yarilo hodi, tu vam polje rodi.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 14, 2010, 12:46:06 am »

That's a very interesting idea I've been entertaining recently. There are many cases of a culture allowing its native religion to intermix freely with Christianity. You could argue that the staunch pagans were all wiped out by then, but there were still people who practiced a sort of Christianity, and yet also pagan traditions side by side. My own patron deity, for lack of a better word, became heavily associated with St. Elijah in most Slavic countries.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)