The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 03:27:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 03:27:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: White Sage  (Read 9467 times)
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 25, 2010, 11:39:20 pm »

I go through so much white sage that I want to grow my own.  However, since I live in Minnesota, it would have to spend about half a year as a house plant.  Does anyone know how it fares indoors?  Also, does anyone know of a good seed supplier?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella Mathúin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 25, 2010, 11:58:38 pm »

I go through so much white sage that I want to grow my own.  However, since I live in Minnesota, it would have to spend about half a year as a house plant.  Does anyone know how it fares indoors?  Also, does anyone know of a good seed supplier?

Plants not really my thing (I tend to kill them) but I love them Smiley White sage does remarkably well as a house plant.

And though I've never used them I've heard good things about
http://www.horizonherbs.com/pilot.asp?pg=white_sage

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
childofolympus
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 20, 2010, 04:36:35 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Hellenic pagan
TCN ID: childoflympus

Minds are like parachutes & work best when open.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 20, 2010, 03:07:19 am »

I'm in Australia so the conditions are kind of different... but I can't get my sage to thrive either, either indoors or out. Sad

Blessed Artemis: Help me to know my wildness so that I may abandon my fears. Teach me the surety of the arrow. Guide my footsteps to the silent path so that I might walk beside you in the green.
Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 09, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »

I haven't been able to get my white sage seedlings to survive, but I think that's due to starting them later in the season (they're long dead now lol). Next year I intend to do much better.

They should do great as house plants; as long as you have a sunny window to put them in. Most Salvias are exceedingly easy to cultivate indoors or out.
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 10, 2010, 01:44:41 am »

I haven't been able to get my white sage seedlings to survive, but I think that's due to starting them later in the season (they're long dead now lol). Next year I intend to do much better.

They should do great as house plants; as long as you have a sunny window to put them in. Most Salvias are exceedingly easy to cultivate indoors or out.

I have a south facing window...I hope they will do okay there.
Mata
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 18, 2011, 02:53:07 am »

I have a south facing window...I hope they will do okay there.
That'd be good! Good luck with growing. White Sage is really pretty, and not to mention it smells really nice.
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 18, 2011, 02:57:29 am »

That'd be good! Good luck with growing. White Sage is really pretty, and not to mention it smells really nice.

Yeah, until you burn it...then it smells like pot.

Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 18, 2011, 09:23:08 am »

Gross. That smell makes me nauseous. Very glad I haven't done any smudging yet.

I asked at my local metaphysical shop (or the "woo-woo store" as we call it, and it reeks of incense) and she said that I could use my regular garden sage the same way. Not that I will if it smells like pot, but sage is sage, yes?

stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 18, 2011, 11:16:19 am »

I asked at my local metaphysical shop (or the "woo-woo store" as we call it, and it reeks of incense) and she said that I could use my regular garden sage the same way. Not that I will if it smells like pot, but sage is sage, yes?

I use sweetgrass instead, because I like the smell a lot better--much less cannabic, if that's a word.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 18, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »

I use sweetgrass instead, because I like the smell a lot better--much less cannabic, if that's a word.

I've never really smelled pot, so while sage smells a little strong and acrid, I've really grown to like it. I'm glad someone finally told me it smells like pot, otherwise I could get in trouble.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 18, 2011, 12:38:53 pm »

I've never really smelled pot, so while sage smells a little strong and acrid, I've really grown to like it. I'm glad someone finally told me it smells like pot, otherwise I could get in trouble.

Yeah, that's one of the most important rules of pagan dorm living: Thou shalt not smudge with stuff that smells like reefer.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 18, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »

I never noticed it before, myself I always felt that while it COULD smell like pot, it wasn't exactly the same. Of course, people who are unaware of it could just assume...

I never had a problem with any of the people I was living with and my white sage smudging. I think this had to do with the fact that I've only lived with (ex) pot smokers...? This could possibly be a comment on my roomies, though, and my choice thereof...

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 18, 2011, 01:05:30 pm »

I don't recommend using regular garden sage as a smudge. It is a little toxic and will make you feel sick. I know because I dried and burned some like a newbie dummy and choked on the noxious smoke. It just isn't the same thing. I had to air out the house. There was thick smoke billowing out the windows. I only lit a little bit. A little bit of the wrong Sage. My house smelled like burnt turkey stuffing and shame for a couple of days.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 18, 2011, 01:11:25 pm »

I don't recommend using regular garden sage as a smudge. It is a little toxic and will make you feel sick. I know because I dried and burned some like a newbie dummy and choked on the noxious smoke. It just isn't the same thing. I had to air out the house. There was thick smoke billowing out the windows. I only lit a little bit. A little bit of the wrong Sage. My house smelled like burnt turkey stuffing and shame for a couple of days.
LOL! Ah yes, the acrid stench of shame. I know it well.  Cheesy
Good to know, though. I had wondered if it would burn the same way. Thanks for the tip!

Mata
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 19, 2011, 03:40:28 am »

Yeah it kind of does! But it's no where near as bad as mugwort. It's all too easy for someone to mistake it for pot, if they're not too familiar with the smell.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)