The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2020, 06:44:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2020, 06:44:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: what divination method works best for you
Tarot - 15 (51.7%)
Runes - 3 (10.3%)
Pendulum - 2 (6.9%)
Tea Leaves - 0 (0%)
other(please specify) - 9 (31%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: what divination method works best for you  (Read 10393 times)
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 01, 2007, 08:56:41 am »

If you would like, please also explain any layouts (like for tarot) or methods that you use as well. Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: June 01, 2007, 09:03:11 am »

Other:  Divination and I haven't mixed...  yet.  So far my brain just doesn't seem to want to wrap around it.  So I guess no method works best for me.  Cheesy

I flirt with Tarot off and on, and have tried divination-by-iPod a few times, but neither seems to really click with me that much.  I'm slowly collecting quotes for a "quote deck" described by another poster because that sounded like something that might have half a chance at being more effective for me (I'm playing with including images as well, but think that might not work in the same context so well; maybe stills from movies and TV will get their own similar deck someday), but it's nowhere near finished yet.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 01, 2007, 09:05:13 am »

If you would like, please also explain any layouts (like for tarot) or methods that you use as well. Bright Blessings.

Other: best for me is seeing in smoke.  But I tend to use Tarot for clarification and because I love the pretty pictures. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 01, 2007, 09:20:04 am »

I use runes and my goddess cards (these arent tarot, but something else)  My layout is 2 different methods.  1. When I dont have much time, dont want to bother, or just want a quick answer, I will lay out a past rune/card, a present, and a future.
2.  For a more in depth reading I will lay out 12 runes/cards in a circle, one for each house in a chart, and one overall card in the center.   Since I am an astrologer, this one makes sense for me.  I have used a pendulum and have done scrying in the past as well.  In a way, even an astrology chart can be a method for me to psychically pick up info, and focus my energies on to pick things up with.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 01, 2007, 09:34:01 am »

I prefer flames. The best for me is a campfire or other wood burning fire, starring into the flames and the hot coals practically puts me in an altered state.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 01, 2007, 10:53:35 am »

Other: Fire works best for me. I can also use still or moving water, smoke, tarot, and if I swing (like on a swingset0 on a clear, sunny day with a good view of the sky I usually slip into a trance state.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 01, 2007, 11:19:22 am »

I feel like I get the most well-rounded advice from Tarot.  I use either Reed's The Witches' Tarot or the Rider-Waite deck.  I use whichever one feels right for the reading I'm giving.  I have a couple of "background" spreads I use.  But I frequently make up a spread to suit the person if they still have questions once the background reading is done.

But, I also use my pendulum for specific "yes/no" questions sometimes to check my tarot interpretations.  A little palm reading also frequently accompanies a tarot reading too.

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 01, 2007, 11:30:04 am »

I am a card freak. Wink  I always get what I need when I take out one of my decks, and I pretty much have a deck of cards for every occasion.  My favorite spread is five cards straight across: (1) Situation, (2) Challenges/Obstacles, (3) Advice, (4) Daily Lesson, (5) Outcome.

I've tried divination by MP3, but it hasn't been the most reliable.  My music serves a completely different purpose.  I've also tried the runes, but I'm nowhere near as skilled at interpreting them as I am the cards, and I haven't felt the need or the urgency to study them.  I've also tried using a pendulum, but I get tired very quickly of the 20-questions, and will often forget which way means what.   Roll Eyes   Scrying also leaves me completely cold, and I have to admit that I am jealous of those who can look at things and see other things.  I could see a rabbit in a cloud okay, but crystal balls or mirrors leave me crosseyed and with a headache.  Sad

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 01, 2007, 11:52:17 am »

Gut instinct, with a hint of Murphy's Law.  Sometimes I just get an inevitable sense of how it's all going to go wrong. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: June 01, 2007, 11:55:48 am »

Gut instinct, with a hint of Murphy's Law.  Sometimes I just get an inevitable sense of how it's all going to go wrong. Smiley

That's the only thing I've ever had work for me at all, and I can't control it.  Sometimes (pretty rarely) I just know.  (This seems, oddly, to work off and on with fiction as well as real life.)  I guess I just hadn't thought to classify that as divination.  Cheesy

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: June 01, 2007, 11:59:24 am »

I've tried divination by MP3, but it hasn't been the most reliable.  My music serves a completely different purpose.  

When you put it like that, it makes me think a little differently about what I said earlier.  It's not that I never get anything out of my iPod divination attempts, it's just that usually what happens is that my iPod comes up with something to match my thought processes at the moment.  So not so much divination as telling me what I already know.  Tongue  Or being slightly connected to what's going on in my head.  (Which is perhaps why I don't use it much for divination anymore.)  And again, it's not something I can control, it just happens randomly sometimes.

Probably not what you meant in that bit I quoted from your post, but that's where my brain went from there.  Wink

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 01, 2007, 12:34:58 pm »

Tarot. Absolutely tarot. Smiley

I can't remember what got me hooked on it, but as soon as I got my first deck, I've been using it. I've had times where I just don't go near them at all, because I am such a procrastinator. The only thing I find eerie is that I can read them really easily sometimes, to the point where I matched two of my friend's .. paths? Not sure what to call them. Needless to say, both situations predicted did happen. Though this was because they had made no change in their current "paths" to change their futures. Tho' I don't believe in some absolute divine fate, I do believe that the tarot can predict what is the most likely outcome if we do not change our paths.

Spreads? Hmm. What suits the occassion, really. I don't know if I do have a favourite. Probably something within a 4-6 card range.

I haven't really tried anything else. ^^;

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 01, 2007, 01:49:57 pm »

When you put it like that, it makes me think a little differently about what I said earlier.  It's not that I never get anything out of my iPod divination attempts, it's just that usually what happens is that my iPod comes up with something to match my thought processes at the moment. 

That's pretty much what happens to me, too!  I've always used music to either match or modify my mood, even before I had an MP3-player, I made my own mix-CDs (and before that, cassette tapes) using songs chosen specially to evoke a particular mood.

I have my favorite songs I use for certain occasions to 'fix' my frame of mind.  What I love is when I am in a down mood and am in need of a major attitude adjustment, it is those songs that I have such strong associations with that come up in shuffle/repeat.  Too often, IMO, to be a coincidence.  Either that, or my stereo LOVES those songs just as much as I do.   Grin

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 01, 2007, 03:43:43 pm »

Other: Fire works best for me. I can also use still or moving water, smoke, tarot, and if I swing (like on a swingset0 on a clear, sunny day with a good view of the sky I usually slip into a trance state.

I'm the same way when it comes to smoke,coals, and especially swinging. I often don't feel like my physical self, more like i'm pure energy without a casing,lol.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Chaliceocean
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 01, 2007, 03:47:22 pm »

When you put it like that, it makes me think a little differently about what I said earlier.  It's not that I never get anything out of my iPod divination attempts, it's just that usually what happens is that my iPod comes up with something to match my thought processes at the moment.  So not so much divination as telling me what I already know.  Tongue  Or being slightly connected to what's going on in my head.  (Which is perhaps why I don't use it much for divination anymore.)  And again, it's not something I can control, it just happens randomly sometimes.

Probably not what you meant in that bit I quoted from your post, but that's where my brain went from there.  Wink

I find that alot, it's almost like a running spread at times when i turn the radio on and it tells me what I already knew that was going on. Or if I think of someone, it is like the song can be what is going on for them. I thought it ws odd and probably just a coincidence.

Also, someone posted about pendulums. I personally annot et one to work for me and i've tried a few different ones, like tigers eye, rose quartz, and a clear quartz crystal. And tips from anyone?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)