The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 28, 2017, 03:14:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 03:14:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Logistics of an Open Statue  (Read 19961 times)
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am
United States United States

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 28, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »

I'm linking back to this just so people reading this later on know where the discussion got started.

Thanks for this!  Smiley

Something I thought about was whether my SO would mind doing a ritual as a fill-in for me if I were for some reason unable to do so.  He does not follow the Kemetic gods although he is respectful of other traditions/religions.  I wonder how the deity associated with the statue would feel about this?  Hmm. 

Also, thanks for mentioning your airport story.  I am considering doing this daily exercise as well and since I'll be moving to Spain too, this is something I'll have to be aware of ahead of time.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:00:05 am

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist/Hard Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 24, 2010, 09:31:01 pm »

Thanks for this!  Smiley

Something I thought about was whether my SO would mind doing a ritual as a fill-in for me if I were for some reason unable to do so.  He does not follow the Kemetic gods although he is respectful of other traditions/religions.  I wonder how the deity associated with the statue would feel about this?  Hmm. 

Also, thanks for mentioning your airport story.  I am considering doing this daily exercise as well and since I'll be moving to Spain too, this is something I'll have to be aware of ahead of time.

I know this is late but I hope that your trip to Spain was a pleasant one. I've got two open statues, Heru and Sekhmet. Since I can provide for them everyday then having an open statue is no problem. The rest are closed and I don't plan on opening them until the Kemetic New Year.
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 25, 2010, 10:25:31 pm »

I've got two open statues, Heru and Sekhmet. Since I can provide for them everyday then having an open statue is no problem. The rest are closed and I don't plan on opening them until the Kemetic New Year.

Sounds like a lot of open statues  Shocked 

I'm considering eventually having one, and that feels like all the responsibility I can handle.   
Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 26, 2010, 12:20:52 am »

Sounds like a lot of open statues  Shocked 

I'm considering eventually having one, and that feels like all the responsibility I can handle.   

It's not hard to handle for me. I've got a total of six statues. Some of them I honor a couple of times a week and some only once. Last night was Set and today it's only Isis. I have it written down, which of course I don't need because I've been doing this for sometime.
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #19: November 26, 2010, 01:50:38 am »

It's not hard to handle for me. I've got a total of six statues. Some of them I honor a couple of times a week and some only once. Last night was Set and today it's only Isis. I have it written down, which of course I don't need because I've been doing this for sometime.

You're aware that open statues contain the power of the Gods, and require daily care? If that's how you're caring for open statues, that's the equivalent of having people in your house who you're only feeding once a week.

I'm also curious how in the world you've managed to amass two open statues in the two weeks it seems you've been identifying as Kemetic, and certainly how you managed to gain the required knowledge for proper care in that time. These are pretty serious religious duties you're taking on - one's that I'd be uncomfortable with for a variety of reasons. Hell, even just for performing the ritual of the opening of the mouth I'd want far more than just a few weeks' preparation.

--Chabas
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 26, 2010, 02:38:59 am »

You're aware that open statues contain the power of the Gods, and require daily care? If that's how you're caring for open statues, that's the equivalent of having people in your house who you're only feeding once a week.

I'm also curious how in the world you've managed to amass two open statues in the two weeks it seems you've been identifying as Kemetic, and certainly how you managed to gain the required knowledge for proper care in that time. These are pretty serious religious duties you're taking on - one's that I'd be uncomfortable with for a variety of reasons. Hell, even just for performing the ritual of the opening of the mouth I'd want far more than just a few weeks' preparation.

Thank you, Chabas.  

I had a response to Sekhmet's Servant's post drafted but then my laptop battery died.  Perhaps that was synchronicity.  Your response was better than mine.  You didn't mince words.

As I said I'm *considering* having an open statue.   I decided to go for a year treating a statue like it was open, to see if I was cut out for the work before I made a decision.  I've been doing ritual daily with no breaks for seven months.  I am in no way ready to open my statue.   There are a lot of steps I need to take first, like making sure my shrine area is exactly the way He wants it. I also need to make sure I have a full-length ritual that I can perform when I have time.   That means researching hymns and ephithets, and designing a ritual according the the template in Eternal Egypt.  I know most days I won't have time for more than the short ritual but I want to do more than I can.  He deserves at least that much.

I'm going to see if I can keep doing the daily rite for a year.  If I can, I'll do divination and ask the Gods if I'm ready for an open statue.  If they say yes, then I'll have one next Wep Renpet.  If they say no?  Then guess what, I'll deal with it. My spirituality has been rich and fulfilling for years without an open statue and it can continue to be rich and fulfilling without one.   This decision is about serving my patron God, not myself.

FYI:  I'm going to be shaking nervous when I do that divination.  If I ever do end up performing an Opening of the Mouth ritual, I'd be shocked if I didn't cry after the fact.  This is a HUGE deal and there's not a day I don't remember that.  I'm honored.  I'm humbled.  I'm scared of screwing everything up.  I can't imagine doing this six times.  

Not only is it irresponsible to open a statue and not care for it every day...it's nonsensical.  

An open statue is supposed to create a stable, permanent link between the physical world and the realm of the Gods.  That permanence and constancy is part of  Ma'at.   To support that constancy, ritual attendance of the open statue must be aligned with the constancy of nature, especially the solar cycles.  

The world is renewed in the morning.  The presence of the God in the statue is renewed in the morning.  If you're not doing daily ritual, then that renewal isn't happening.  The statue isn't serving its purpose.

Having a daily practice isn't some annoying obligation that comes with having an open statue.  It's the POINT of having an open statue.  If someone doesn't want a daily practice, then they don't want an open statue.  Period.  

Taja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 02:46:38 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Powered by coffee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 26, 2010, 02:39:25 am »

For those who have considered using the Opening of the Mouth ritual on a statue of z deity to do worship in the way that it was done by priests in a temple in the past, what are some of the things you have thought about before deciding to do so or not do so?
For me, having an open statue would be more than can I handle. My opinion is that tending an open statue is extremely emotionally involving, time consuming, and like a marriage times a billion. Once I open the statue I'm *locked in* to a contract, so to speak, and there's no annulment. The daily care alone would drain me.
Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 26, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »

--Chabas

I actually opened them two months ago. I do leave offerings of cookies everyday when I don't want to do a full ritual. Of course that's only for Heru and Sekhmet. The others are closed but I haven't forgotten about them. I knew that opening the mouth meant that the power of the gods are inside the statue. When I do my ritual for the others that are closed, like Anubis, Set, Bast, and Aset (Isis) I always give them something special. All my statues get bathed to get rid of things that might of gotten on it from when I burned incense or just dust.

I never forget the gods that I worship.
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #23: November 26, 2010, 01:49:02 pm »

I actually opened them two months ago.

Funny - 'cause that's about when you signed on here, and introduced yourself as a Penn Dutch traditional witch "using" Egyptian deities in witchcraft. You later called yourself a witch and a druid, and stuck with that till mid-October. What in the world were you doing opening statues while following totally different traditions? Especially since you followed that up by saying non-recons were doing something wrong by introducing non-native elements...

I do leave offerings of cookies everyday when I don't want to do a full ritual. Of course that's only for Heru and Sekhmet.

Ok, I've been reading up on your previous posts because I got confused... and I thought you only worshiped Sekhmet and Aset?

Regardless; you leave cookies for statues that should receive ritual and offering, and be dressed and cleansed daily? Really? Have you read Nehet's post above about what an open statue entails? You don't go "Oh, I don't feel like. Have a cookie." with an open statue.

I never forget the gods that I worship.

No, you remember to give them a cookie when following up on your obligations gets too bothersome.

--Chabas
Taja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 02:46:38 pm
Switzerland Switzerland