The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 24, 2020, 07:25:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 07:25:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Writing a Daily Ritual  (Read 2841 times)
Setnusutekh
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 13, 2017, 11:47:11 pm
Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

Religion: Kemetic Recon, Heathen and follower of Apollo.

Dua Set, Mighty One of the Two Fold Strength!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 28, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »

I've been pagan for a few years now, and Kemetic for about a few months, and one thing that really, really, has stumped me, is how to figure out a good daily rite. I know House of Netjer's followers have Senut, and Per Ankh has their Daily Rite (which is very similar, but let's not get into that whole thing  Roll Eyes ). I've been going through various texts to find useful utterances and whatnot, and I've found it a job easier said than done  Embarrassed

I've also gone through the threads about rites and rituals, and I've found them helpful, but I'm still a bit lost, and as for potentially useful books like Eternal Egypt and whatnot, (I have quite a wishlist Sad ) to get them shipped here is not going to be easy.

So my question is, if you don't mind posting them, what do you do for a daily rite, and which utterances, if any, have you used/modified to do so? And do you have any advice on to help me in going about writing one?

Yes, I am Trini to d bone! Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Setnakht
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2011, 01:48:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 29, 2010, 11:35:55 am »

And do you have any advice on to help me in going about writing one?
For you to do the required research to come up with a ritual that's faithful to kemetic theology and accurately reflects ancient practice is--make no bones about it--a very difficult task. You are better off simply acquiring the books frequently referred to in these posts. As you are already aware, it's neither a quick nor an easy task to create Kemetic ritual--so I'd say you should bite the bullet and order the books.
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 29, 2010, 11:38:02 am »

So my question is, if you don't mind posting them, what do you do for a daily rite, and which utterances, if any, have you used/modified to do so? And do you have any advice on to help me in going about writing one?

I'm gonna post this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ATy33HyBAlAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=eternal+egypt&hl=en&ei=159RTKKSG5vrnQeH6eXIAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
This is the google book result for Eternal Egypt. They allow you to read certain sections of the book, and it's possible that you could learn a couple things from what you're allowed to read. For example, the simplified morning ritual is readable in this format.

When I started off with Kemeticism, I more or less sat down, lit some incense, gave some offerings, and just chatted with the gods. It's not that formal, but it was what I had at the time. If formal structure isn't around for you, I would say that words from the heart are always accepted. I'm sure others will be in to add their thoughts as well.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 29, 2010, 11:57:51 am »

also gone through the threads about rites and rituals, and I've found them helpful, but I'm still a bit lost, and as for potentially useful books like Eternal Egypt and whatnot, (I have quite a wishlist Sad ) to get them shipped here is not going to be easy.

I'd also suggest looking into Kerry Wisner's stuff.

http://www.hwt-hrw.com/akhetcatalog.php

Personally I like Reidy best because his work is more pure recon, less neopagan influence.  However, Wisner's stuff is solid overall.  His calendar in "Eye of the Sun", and his list of appropriate offerings to various deities is very useful.  Since you can download his books you don't have to worry about them getting shipped.
Setnusutekh
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 13, 2017, 11:47:11 pm
Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

Religion: Kemetic Recon, Heathen and follower of Apollo.

Dua Set, Mighty One of the Two Fold Strength!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 29, 2010, 02:09:06 pm »

I'm gonna post this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ATy33HyBAlAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=eternal+egypt&hl=en&ei=159RTKKSG5vrnQeH6eXIAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
This is the google book result for Eternal Egypt. They allow you to read certain sections of the book, and it's possible that you could learn a couple things from what you're allowed to read. For example, the simplified morning ritual is readable in this format.

This is brilliant, thanks! I used to use the Daily Rite from Per Ankh with few tweaks, but it never really felt right per se, and I've been pretty much being informal and, as you said, basically just chatting with the Gods. This should help a lot, until I can figure out a way to get the book mailed to the Caribbean when our postal service is...less than trustworthy.

Yes, I am Trini to d bone! Smiley
Nefersedt
Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2011, 05:23:26 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wepwawet cultist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 29, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »

This should help a lot, until I can figure out a way to get the book mailed to the Caribbean when our postal service is...less than trustworthy.

Having done a bit of googling, it appears there's a website or two which offers a digital version of Eternal Egypt too for about $6. Been very tempted to get it myself at that price for a digital copy, although nothing beats having a real book in your hands.

My livejournal - I write about jackal deities. A lot.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 29, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »

Having done a bit of googling, it appears there's a website or two which offers a digital version of Eternal Egypt too for about $6. Been very tempted to get it myself at that price for a digital copy, although nothing beats having a real book in your hands.

I've been reading this book for the last week or so: the rituals are excellent. They really speak to you from the get-go.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 29, 2010, 08:08:32 pm »

I didn't realize IUniverse offered digital copies of their books

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?Book=172324

Neat Smiley

I agree, there's nothing like a real book.  But if the mail is unreliable this might be your best bet.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)