The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 10:28:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 10:28:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: UPG Gods/Otherworldly Entities  (Read 6226 times)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 06, 2010, 04:14:16 pm »

(Hah, that might explain it then.  I just remembered seeing the name. Wink )

It's a thing.  I was hanging with my Lady for ten years or so before I got enough of a tip-off to figure out Who She was - a part of a pantheon I would never have looked into without the nudge I got from a different direction.  And it's not like Hetharu is an obscure goddess!  (Perun, who my above post was describing, is comparatively obscure, though - except perhaps to people of Slavic heritage who have looked into their ancestral gods!)

I so read that as "Rerun", and was taken back to old episodes of "What's Happenin'." No disrespect intended... but it's been one of those mentally absent days for me.

At any rate, MY current problem is with knowing of two goddesses, but trying to figure out if they're the same deity under different names... a slightly nit-pickier version of "Who's That God?"   Undecided

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 07, 2010, 12:27:11 am »

Altair, your contribution intrigued me. Care to explain your concept of deity? Smiley

I irreverently self-identify as a "Carvel polytheist": semisoft, with a twist (those familiar with the soft-serve ice cream chain will get the reference).

Which means I think there are vast forces flowing in me and through me and around me, forces beyond my comprehension. To try to get a handle on them, I personify them, give them names, and attach stories to them that reveal a bit of what they're about. In other words, I see them as deities, metaphors that give me a glimpse of these forces, however imperfectly. I don't take these metaphors literally, and yet for me, there's deep truth in them. The empirical reality and the spiritual reality coexist.

The "twist" is that, IMHO, our beliefs and thoughts are integral to the shape of reality. So in perceiving these deities, they become real; a part of that vast force differentiates into something resembling what I conceive. (Sort of like how in quantum physics, the act of observation alters the state of matter so that certain undefined characteristics become quantifiable. I'm explaining that badly, but hopefully you get the idea.)

My local deity Verdanus is a good, simplified example. There's a tremedous amount of energy, real (I tend it, it gives me food) and psychological (serenity, joy, connectedness to other living things), flowing between me and my garden. I felt compelled to name that energy, to give it form and substance, and to hang a green man as a representation of it. Is Verdanus literally real? Nope, not in any scientific, quantifiable sense. Is he real to me? Is there a deep truth I can feel every time I step into the garden? Sure.

Since I feel a cultural disconnect to existing pantheons, I never felt comfortable with those embodiments of the vast forces I feel. So, as with Verdanus, I came up with my own, myths and all. So my gods are unique to me.

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 07, 2010, 05:53:41 am »

The "twist" is that, IMHO, our beliefs and thoughts are integral to the shape of reality. So in perceiving these deities, they become real; a part of that vast force differentiates into something resembling what I conceive. (Sort of like how in quantum physics, the act of observation alters the state of matter so that certain undefined characteristics become quantifiable. I'm explaining that badly, but hopefully you get the idea.)

I believe this too, but that leads me to a a concept that is often found in pagan books that confuses me.  Many say that Satan does not exist, it is solely a construct of the monotheistic religions.  However, if so many millions of people do believe in this being, would that not make it real?  I know that can be countered that it is a person's own point of view that creates the reality, but personally I would not be surprised if there was a creature called Satan running around the astral plane.  I am just confused why people (namely the authors of these books) are so willing to acknowledge the existence of so many other beings, and even every other spirit found in monotheistic religions, but decides that Satan does not exist.
Nomad of Nowhere
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2012, 01:48:26 am

Religion: Slavic Polytheist

Gdje Yarilo hodi, tu vam polje rodi.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 07, 2010, 07:27:40 am »

(Hah, that might explain it then.  I just remembered seeing the name. Wink )

It's a thing.  I was hanging with my Lady for ten years or so before I got enough of a tip-off to figure out Who She was - a part of a pantheon I would never have looked into without the nudge I got from a different direction.  And it's not like Hetharu is an obscure goddess!  (Perun, who my above post was describing, is comparatively obscure, though - except perhaps to people of Slavic heritage who have looked into their ancestral gods!)

That would be me. To think, I almost suggested who I thought the deity might be! I thought either Perun or the analogous Lithuanian storm deity, Perkunas, who also rides around on a golden or fiery horse. One might say that he's "Earthy". He is after all the stone-smith. I'm pleased to hear him mentioned.

I've heard of people having trouble identifying deities before, and I think a good deal of them are probably on record somewhere. It's just that there are so many mythologies, and only a certain class of them are "famous". Another one that gets people is Finnish deities.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:35:49 am by Nomad of Nowhere, Reason: expounding » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: August 07, 2010, 09:34:23 am »

I believe this too, but that leads me to a a concept that is often found in pagan books that confuses me.  Many say that Satan does not exist, it is solely a construct of the monotheistic religions.  However, if so many millions of people do believe in this being, would that not make it real?  I know that can be countered that it is a person's own point of view that creates the reality, but personally I would not be surprised if there was a creature called Satan running around the astral plane.  I am just confused why people (namely the authors of these books) are so willing to acknowledge the existence of so many other beings, and even every other spirit found in monotheistic religions, but decides that Satan does not exist.

IMO, that comes down to epic chicken-shittedness.

line of logic - People accuse us of worshiping Satan.  D'wanna be accused of that.  Must have excuse.  Don't believe in Satan. ... Satan doesn't exist!  Ha!  Can't worship something that doesn't exist!  Screw you, logic!

Why no, I don't think much of that argument, how could you tell?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 07, 2010, 09:53:05 am »

IMO, that comes down to epic chicken-shittedness.

line of logic - People accuse us of worshiping Satan.  D'wanna be accused of that.  Must have excuse.  Don't believe in Satan. ... Satan doesn't exist!  Ha!  Can't worship something that doesn't exist!  Screw you, logic!

Why no, I don't think much of that argument, how could you tell?

I don't believe in 100% good or evil beings (at least not any that give a crap about humanity), so I think if there is a Satan out there, he's so far off from the Christian view of him that you might as well give him another name. Same with the Christian God. To me he might well exist, minus all the omnis and not nearly as benevolent as people think.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 09, 2010, 04:15:45 am »

I irreverently self-identify as a "Carvel polytheist": semisoft, with a twist (those familiar with the soft-serve ice cream chain will get the reference).

Which means I think there are vast forces flowing in me and through me and around me, forces beyond my comprehension. To try to get a handle on them, I personify them, give them names, and attach stories to them that reveal a bit of what they're about. In other words, I see them as deities, metaphors that give me a glimpse of these forces, however imperfectly. I don't take these metaphors literally, and yet for me, there's deep truth in them. The empirical reality and the spiritual reality coexist.

My local deity Verdanus is a good, simplified example. There's a tremedous amount of energy, real (I tend it, it gives me food) and psychological (serenity, joy, connectedness to other living things), flowing between me and my garden. I felt compelled to name that energy, to give it form and substance, and to hang a green man as a representation of it. Is Verdanus literally real? Nope, not in any scientific, quantifiable sense. Is he real to me? Is there a deep truth I can feel every time I step into the garden? Sure.

Since I feel a cultural disconnect to existing pantheons, I never felt comfortable with those embodiments of the vast forces I feel. So, as with Verdanus, I came up with my own, myths and all. So my gods are unique to me.

This is really interesting, and your beliefs, to an extent, correspond with some of my own. Am I right in thinking that you view names and personifications in deity as methods (on our behalf) to understand the forces behind said deity?

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 09, 2010, 05:28:56 pm »

Am I right in thinking that you view names and personifications in deity as methods (on our behalf) to understand the forces behind said deity?

The names, the anthropomorphization, the myths...they're all a way for us to get a tiny handle on some huge stuff. IMHO.

Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 10, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »

The names, the anthropomorphization, the myths...they're all a way for us to get a tiny handle on some huge stuff. IMHO.

Mhm, I'm starting to feel the same. This is not to say that the Gods aren't real; they are - just so beyond our understanding that what we perceive on our level isn't the end of it. YMMV. Cheesy

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 12, 2010, 07:25:52 pm »

A tiny handle... I like the way that was worded, because it shows how true it is. At the end of the day, no one will be any closer to unraveling the mysteries of the universe than they are now. The challenge is to somehow live and be comfortable with this fact, while still being able to sleep at night.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 30, 2010, 10:39:00 am »

Do any of you have relationships with deities or beings otherworldly that are seemingly unique to you? To elaborate, beings that aren't recognised or worshipped by any other people you've encountered. Anyone?

After many shamanic journeys to otherworlds, its quite normal to come in contact with otherworldy beings. On these journeys ive met creatures such as mermaids to centaurs and other mythical creatures, all of them having a great range of personalities. Ive kept in contact with some of these beings, and been able to gain wisedom from them in change of gifts.
Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 30, 2010, 02:12:02 pm »

Do any of you have relationships with deities or beings otherworldly that are seemingly unique to you? To elaborate, beings that aren't recognised or worshipped by any other people you've encountered. Anyone?

A couple actually. One that has been with me for longer than I know and I just in the last week encountered in a more meaningful and "real" way than I ever thought would happen.
The other - no idea of a name or anything. But its just never seemed important to know that about her.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)