The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 03:26:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 03:26:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Blogs: When and Why?  (Read 6911 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 31, 2010, 11:44:08 am »

I know we have a list of users spiritual and personal blogs. I have questions, though.

1. When did you decide to start blogging about your spiritual life?
2. Why did you make that choice?
3. Why did you chose the website you did for your blog?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:38:58 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject changed » Logged

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: July 31, 2010, 02:33:20 pm »

Well, I write maybe not enough of the stories I'd like to, but I'm still writing all the time.
I have a lot of journals lying around and I write.

It is an important tool for me, to clear my mind, to find things out and to express what I feel.
Sometimes just to get stuff out of my system.

So, I decided I might as well could write a blog.
Actually I started about 2 years ago at covenspace. Now I'm at wordpress, because it seems a pretty good page and I like the features.

Though I know that rarely anyone is reading it, it gives me a good feeling to put the stuff up.
And the possibility that somebody might be reading it, forces me to put a little bit of work and effort in it, too.

That is a good thing for me. I sometimes need a nudge or two.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Abgeneth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:39:02 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: (British Traditional) Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 31, 2010, 05:45:07 pm »

1. That's just a few months ago and
2. it's somewhat part of my taking responsibility not only for my personal life, but for what I do as a Pagan. At the moment, I write mostly about some things that seem to me to be more or less common problems or deficiencies in the Pagan community (at least in Germany). And I also appreciate the opportunity to practice my writing skills Smiley
3. I am blogging on wordpress, because a friend recommended it to me and I'm still pretty intrigued by the features.

I hope my comment was helpful, although its from overseas Wink
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 01, 2010, 04:19:28 am »

I know we have a list of users spiritual and personal blogs. I have questions, though.

About a week ago, when I was on a spiritual retreat.

I saw it as the next step on my spiritual path.  I also thought that it would be helpful for me to have it online since I lose stuff a lot, the permanent-ness of cyberspace attracted me to blogging rather than writing, I type a lot faster than I write and it made me see it as more useful if it could be of help to people who are on the same path that I am.  I have a bad habit of buying blank journals and not using them because the thought of sullying the beautiful, clean pages with scribbley and scratched out words kind of puts me off.

I thought it would be a good habit to see where the holes in my logic/information are so that I can be sure that everything I think is consistent.

It was easy.  I already had a bit of experience with blogger since I have another blog on there for a different purpose, and I was familiar with the way the blogging site works.  Wordpress is a little more confusing, I think.  I was also able to link it with Windows Livewriter on my computer so I never have to actually visit the site, and blogging is accessible from my desktop.  I really like that.  I have a home laptop and a small netbook, and I have Livewriter on both of them.  I post drafts on the website so that if I become suddenly inspired I can access a blog post while on the go, and then refine it at home so that I could give myself more time to think about it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:21:41 am by Bastemhet » Logged

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 01, 2010, 09:41:05 am »

Wordpress is a little more confusing, I think.

I agree. I just started one over there last night so I can have a public spiritual blog for people to read, but oh man, I cannot figure out anything on that site. I feel like an idiot.  Undecided I would have gone with a public LJ since I know LJ inside and out, but my ex-husband knows my love of the site and wouldn't mind a little snooping.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 01, 2010, 10:54:42 am »

I think autumn last year.

I felt the need to express my thoughts in a different environment than pagan forums. Sometimes things I post on forums get misunderstood, analyzed, judged and taken apart by people. On forums there's a big chance every post can become a point of discussion and once it has started it's hard to stop.

Some matters I don't want to discuss, but simply wish to share with a few people who would understand it or let it be if they don't (for example poetry or personal feelings). Sometimes I simple need to write something down for myself for later review. Sometimes I do wish to talk about delicate personal stuff, but in a more private environment.

I'm very happy to have a couple of friends visiting my blog who either comment in a sensible way or just don't comment. And if there should be a comment I'd percieve as inappropriate I could simply delete it (hasn't happened yet), whereas in a forum run by someone else it wouldn't be my decision if a comment was inappropriate.

Forums have their own merrits, but I don't like something very personally being taken apart by strangers, so my blog gives me a place to post personal things I wouldn't post in a forum while I mostly use open forums to discuss general matters or exchange personal stuff in a context I trust.

I find a blog is like having my own virtual house. I can open the door to specific people and close it to others. I could open or close specific rooms and choose who is allowed into which room. I can rearrange my entries, make some private, friends only or open them for a bigger public. If something goes into a wrong direction, I could simply delete difficult issues. If I don't wish to discuss something further I could close the matter by making the whole entry private.

I haven't deleted one single comment or entry in all the time because I don't get much random traffic and my friends can comment without hurting me even if they don't agree with something. But to know I have that kind of autonomy in my own space makes me much more comfortable than in more public spaces.

On some public forums there's this annoying habit of members advising other members how to post and how to interpret other members post (I admit I've also done that). People telling others that they are overreacting to something etc. In my blog people can't tell me how to post because it's (largely) my own space and no one is compelled to read it if he/she doesn't like my style, my moods, my spleens etc.

And I must say, my blog works better for me than some forums and it often helps me to listen to my own inner wisdom instead of arguing with others like a bunch of old sophists.  Cheesy

Of course for some things, I'm still glad there are forums.  Wink

I chose wordpress, because it allowed the differenciated privacy settings I wanted to have.

Are you thinking about starting a blog, kemet83?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 01, 2010, 11:23:53 am »

Are you thinking about starting a blog, kemet83?

I actually have two: a personal and spiritual one, but I host them on Livejournal. I wanted to post my spiritual journal here but I keep it private since my ex-husband knows of its existence and if I make the posts public, there's no telling what he/his friends could do. (Paranoid: when he's about, yes.) So, I was thinking about posting my spiritual one on another site but wanted to know what other people were thinking/doing/deciding when they came up with the idea to spiritually blog.

(In reality, I made a public wordpress for here, though the site is so different from LJ, I feel lost.  Undecided)

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 01, 2010, 11:37:16 am »

I agree. I just started one over there last night so I can have a public spiritual blog for people to read, but oh man, I cannot figure out anything on that site. I feel like an idiot.  Undecided I would have gone with a public LJ since I know LJ inside and out, but my ex-husband knows my love of the site and wouldn't mind a little snooping.
Does your ex-husband know about Dreamwidth?  Its code is a fork from the code used by LJ, so it's quite similar to use, but it might be less of a snoopy-ex risk (especially if you choose a username that he wouldn't be likely to associate with you).  It's still in open beta, so you need to either pay for a month (about $3, last time I looked, but even that might not be feasible for you right now) or have an invite to start an account, but I can almost certainly snag an invite for you if you want.  (They're not using invites to be cliquey, just to make sure they don't get overloaded, so they're pretty easygoing about handing them out.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: August 01, 2010, 12:05:18 pm »

(In reality, I made a public wordpress for here, though the site is so different from LJ, I feel lost.  Undecided)

The first hour or so I felt the same.
Then I started to figure things out.
From then on it is pretty easy Wink if I made it, you can too.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 01, 2010, 12:10:51 pm »

I actually have two
Ah, sorry, I didn't see your previous post, because I kept my answering window open so long and you must have posted while I was still writing.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 01, 2010, 12:57:46 pm »

Does your ex-husband know about Dreamwidth?  Its code is a fork from the code used by LJ, so it's quite similar to use, but it might be less of a snoopy-ex risk (especially if you choose a username that he wouldn't be likely to associate with you).  It's still in open beta, so you need to either pay for a month (about $3, last time I looked, but even that might not be feasible for you right now) or have an invite to start an account, but I can almost certainly snag an invite for you if you want.  (They're not using invites to be cliquey, just to make sure they don't get overloaded, so they're pretty easygoing about handing them out.)

Sunflower

LJ was the same way. I started one when it was still in invite codes only mode. That was... you know, high school time or something like that. That was also how I started over at DeadJournal--invite codes only. I have since removed the DJ from my life but have kept an LJ since I was 16-years-old. I think I stick around out of pure loyalty.  Cheesy

I appreciate the invitation, but I think I'm going to stick with wordpress. I've been going on it every chance I can to figure things out. And, I'm pretty sure the bestie would be pissed if I started a blog somewhere else since I just made her join wordpress, too.  Lips sealed

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 01, 2010, 12:58:08 pm »

Ah, sorry, I didn't see your previous post, because I kept my answering window open so long and you must have posted while I was still writing.

No problem.

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 01, 2010, 03:32:42 pm »

I spent several months debating  the wisdom of starting a spirituality blog, but the final decision came with my first post in September 21 2007.   

At the time, I was being asked by several people to share my spiritual wanderings and experiences, as well as some of the spiritual questions that I've struggled to answer over the years.  I was also getting beat over the head by a certain deity to begin to record my own path into clear, coherent words rather than an occasion rambling journal entry.  Smiley

I chose blogger because I was already using it for other blogs. Last December, I moved my spirituality blog over to wordpress.  I'd actually began looking at wordpress as a place for a photoblog.  In the process, I discovered that some of the features and functions of wordpress better suited than blogger for what I wanted to do with my spirituality blog. 

sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 01, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

1. Umm...today actually. Grin
2. I'd thought about it before and finally decided to give it a try...hopefully I'll stick with it.
3. I chose WordPress because it seemed to have the features I was looking for. I'm still trying to figure it all out... Cheesy

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 01, 2010, 08:31:47 pm »

Erm since there are a lot of Wordpress people here, how do I change the content of the stuff on the side of my blog?  In blogger, you can edit them from the page itself but I can't figure out how to edit the boxes in WP.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)