The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 14, 2021, 11:48:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2021, 11:48:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Overwhelmed  (Read 24778 times)
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am
United States United States

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: August 05, 2010, 04:25:11 pm »

In that version She was the mother of Hercules and you're complaining about HER SKIN COLOR!!!???!!?!?!?!?!?

I think it is awesome that Hades has blue flaming hair.  The best line is "Woah!  Is my hair out??"

I would like to believe that the Gods have a sense of humour about things.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:37:59 pm by Arienwen » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #31: August 05, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »

To be fair, that movie made kids everywhere aware that Greek mythology existed. Gods treated as real characters, in a movie shown to millions of kids. Personally, I love the movie. No, it's not very true to the source material - but it's cute, and it at least puts that idea into someone's head.

Yeah, but most of those "someones" are never going to go find out anything about the source material and will continue to retain this movie as their impression of Greek mythology.  It spreads far more incorrect information than correct.

In the end, it's a movie, and I try not to get too worked up about it, because...  it's a movie.  It isn't worth it, any more than it's worth getting upset over Buffy's portrayal of Wicca.  But I'm not going to give it a free pass on accuracy just because it might possibly inspire a comparatively small number of people to learn more about the myths it's mangling, either.  (And I don't find "cute" to be a redeeming factor in any case.  I like cute and all, but in this case it sort of only compounds the problem, since actual Greek mythology is sort of not very cute most of the time.  I'm all for having a sense of humor about religion, but there's something about "cute" and the sort of things the Gods get up to in the actual mythology that just doesn't mesh well, and making it "cute" feels less like having a sense of humor and more like infantalizing it.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #32: August 05, 2010, 06:06:42 pm »

*rubs hands together maniacally*

The "statue" of Hades on my altar is a plastic toy of the Disney version that I got in a Happy Meal many years ago.

Did you have a heart attack?

(just kidding, btw)

Oh, Mel. All I can do is throw a thumb's up in your direction.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #33: August 05, 2010, 07:14:42 pm »

It spreads far more incorrect information than correct.

I can't help wondering if it would be viewed as benign if it had been a retelling of the Gospels; done with the same level of faithfulness to the original.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: August 05, 2010, 07:27:02 pm »

I can't help wondering if it would be viewed as benign if it had been a retelling of the Gospels; done with the same level of faithfulness to the original.

There would be no way a movie like that would be made. There would be too many protests about the inaccuracies to let it get off the ground.  I think it is sad that there aren't any protests against movies that inaccurately portray polytheists.  But, for me, I can laugh off Hercules and still look at it as a good kids movie.  It is entertaining, so long as you put your knowledge aside.  But I know many Christians who do the same thing for movies like Constantine.  They see it as an entertaining movie, nothing more.  And when it comes down to it, when has Hollywood made an accurate portrayal of anything?
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: August 06, 2010, 10:04:49 am »

There would be no way a movie like that would be made. There would be too many protests about the inaccuracies to let it get off the ground.  I think it is sad that there aren't any protests against movies that inaccurately portray polytheists.  But, for me, I can laugh off Hercules and still look at it as a good kids movie.  It is entertaining, so long as you put your knowledge aside.  But I know many Christians who do the same thing for movies like Constantine.  They see it as an entertaining movie, nothing more.  And when it comes down to it, when has Hollywood made an accurate portrayal of anything?

I like the movie a lot. It's incredibly inaccurate, but it's fun and uplifting.

My favourite website for Hellenic polytheism is: http://kyrene.4t.com/index.html. It pretty much covers everything in a succinct way. Of course, a good and widely recommended site for information on the cult and mythology of gods is: http://www.theoi.com/. Neos Alexandria (http://www.neosalexandria.org/temple_district.htm) is another good resource, but it's focused on Greco-Egyptian polytheism. There are Hellenic resources on there, as well.

Just for the record, "Hellenistic" refers to the period of time between Alexander the Great's death and Rome's conquest of Egypt (323-31 BCE), and "Hellenic" refers to Greek culture in general.
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: August 06, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »

I like the movie a lot. It's incredibly inaccurate, but it's fun and uplifting.

My favourite website for Hellenic polytheism is: http://kyrene.4t.com/index.html. It pretty much covers everything in a succinct way. Of course, a good and widely recommended site for information on the cult and mythology of gods is: http://www.theoi.com/. Neos Alexandria (http://www.neosalexandria.org/temple_district.htm) is another good resource, but it's focused on Greco-Egyptian polytheism. There are Hellenic resources on there, as well.

Just for the record, "Hellenistic" refers to the period of time between Alexander the Great's death and Rome's conquest of Egypt (323-31 BCE), and "Hellenic" refers to Greek culture in general.

Thank you thank you thank you for the links!
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: August 07, 2010, 07:59:13 am »

I just got an image in my head of Mary with blue skin and flaming hair...
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #38: August 07, 2010, 08:57:34 am »

Aside from those creepy cartoons of the gospels on religious networks, could you imagine anyone thinking about creating a cartoon based on the life of Jesus? Something with the comedic effect the Hercules movie?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: August 07, 2010, 10:30:26 am »

Aside from those creepy cartoons of the gospels on religious networks, could you imagine anyone thinking about creating a cartoon based on the life of Jesus? Something with the comedic effect the Hercules movie?

I image it would include the twelve apostles as a gospel choir.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #40: August 07, 2010, 11:20:44 am »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Re: the rest of this convo. I honestly just see it as yet another interpretation of the myths. At some point, someone made up the myths, told it to someone else, and down the line, a bunch of someones wrote the stories down. Yes, the movie has adapted the source material a great deal, but somewhere in there there's truth. Maybe not a truth that the ancients would have considered, but at least a modern one.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: August 07, 2010, 11:24:20 am »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Re: the rest of this convo. I honestly just see it as yet another interpretation of the myths. At some point, someone made up the myths, told it to someone else, and down the line, a bunch of someones wrote the stories down. Yes, the movie has adapted the source material a great deal, but somewhere in there there's truth. Maybe not a truth that the ancients would have considered, but at least a modern one.

Truths like Zeus is an idiot and Hades is really a thinly-veiled Satan analogue?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #42: August 07, 2010, 11:33:27 am »

Truths like Zeus is an idiot and Hades is really a thinly-veiled Satan analogue?

I was thinking more along the lines of the modern concept of heroism coming from a place of personal strength and character, not how many baddies you kill or how many action figures get made of you. *shrugs* Your mileage may vary.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: August 07, 2010, 03:14:55 pm »

Now I have visions of the apostles as actors in a musical comedy.  Maybe a chorus line as well....
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: August 07, 2010, 05:44:23 pm »

I think that would actually be a really good cartoon rendition concept.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)