The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:19:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:19:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Prayers and Incantations by Alexander Carmichael  (Read 7832 times)
Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 10:16:36 am
United States United States

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 02, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »

I need advice....Should I buy it or no? I realize there is an SIG for this kind of thing but I need information on it relatively quick. I am on www.bn.com right now and I want to finish my order. So. Yay or Nay?Smiley

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 02, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »

I need advice....Should I buy it or no? I realize there is an SIG for this kind of thing but I need information on it relatively quick. I am on www.bn.com right now and I want to finish my order. So. Yay or Nay?Smiley
Only if you particularly want it in hardcopy.  Carmichael's work is long since out of copyright (he died almost a century ago), so you should be able to find if for free on the 'Net without too much trouble.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 02, 2010, 07:47:26 pm »

Only if you particularly want it in hardcopy.  Carmichael's work is long since out of copyright (he died almost a century ago), so you should be able to find if for free on the 'Net without too much trouble.

Sunflower

Alright. Thanks! You're input was very much appreciated. Is the book itself any good?

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 02, 2010, 08:19:42 pm »

IIRC, most of the material is Christianized, but still helpful.  You can always adapt to your personal beliefs, just make sure that you make a note of that for your own sake. Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 02, 2010, 08:34:23 pm »

Alright. Thanks! You're input was very much appreciated. Is the book itself any good?
Depends on whether you like your folklore straight-up or filtered.

Hard to say about the particular book you were looking at on the B&N site - Carmichael didn't, in his lifetime, publish a book with that title.  My guess is that it's an excerpt of some of the material from Carmina Gaedelica, compiled more recently.

Carmichael's work as he published it... opinions vary.  He really was a collector of folklore, and collected and thus preserved quite a lot of it.  OTOH, he was also very much a product of his times and subject to the assumptions and misconceptions of those times, and that affects his work.

The Wikipedia page on Carmichael briefly discusses the pros and cons of his approach to folklore collection, as well as giving some leads to finding his work online, so I'll just hand you that link to get you started on both those things, since I'm really not the best person to cover this in any detail.  Hopefully your thread in the book reviews section will garner some more in-depth discussion.

I see that TC's own Seren, on her Scottish Recon site Tairis, includes Carmina Gaedelica as a must-have in her "Where do I start" booklist, so that answers your question fairly well.  It sounds possible, from what she says there, that the volume you were considering could have been one of the single-volume-English-only editions she mentions, but the title they had on it means it's hard to tell without checking just what it says on its B&N page (and maybe not even then).  It's not unusual, with classic works no longer in copyright, for "good bits" (or what publishers think might be "good bits") to be pulled out and presented separately, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since it helps expose people to things they might not otherwise have even known about, but it can be really confusing.

(And, while I'm here - I notice you have cake in your profile.  Happy birthday!)

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 02, 2010, 08:52:34 pm »

(And, while I'm here - I notice you have cake in your profile.  Happy birthday!)
Sunflower

Thanks! I always thought it was kinda cool to be born on a Greater Sabbat^^

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 02, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

Thanks! I always thought it was kinda cool to be born on a Greater Sabbat^^
"On" in the loose sense (I've usually seen it as 1 Aug) - but I'm not being snooty at you; mine's tomorrow, and I think it's cool to have been born "loosely on" one, too.  The solar-based-calendar dates are kind of arbitrary, after all - there's a lot we don't know with certainty about how the cross-quarter dates were determined, but they're not solar-based the way the quarters (solstices/equinoxes) are.  It makes the most sense in my personal practice to use an agricultural basis and local indicators, so for me it's, "if the saskatoon berries aren't ripe, it's not really Lammas yet," even if it's after my birthday.

Sunflower

Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 02, 2010, 09:13:05 pm »

"On" in the loose sense (I've usually seen it as 1 Aug) - but I'm not being snooty at you; mine's tomorrow, and I think it's cool to have been born "loosely on" one, too.  The solar-based-calendar dates are kind of arbitrary, after all - there's a lot we don't know with certainty about how the cross-quarter dates were determined, but they're not solar-based the way the quarters (solstices/equinoxes) are.  It makes the most sense in my personal practice to use an agricultural basis and local indicators, so for me it's, "if the saskatoon berries aren't ripe, it's not really Lammas yet," even if it's after my birthday.

Sunflower

See I have seen it on Aug 2nd and Aug 1st so I just say my birthday is on Lammas; even though it isn't technically true:P

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 02, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »

See I have seen it on Aug 2nd and Aug 1st so I just say my birthday is on Lammas; even though it isn't technically true:P

I've seen Lammas fall between July 30-August 2, and my current tradition says it's kosher to celebrate within a week of the sabbat's actual date, so I think you've got some leeway. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 03, 2010, 02:16:43 am »

I've seen Lammas fall between July 30-August 2, and my current tradition says it's kosher to celebrate within a week of the sabbat's actual date, so I think you've got some leeway. Smiley
I've never been one for set dates myself, the ancients followed a lunar/solar calender with emphasis on moon phases, with the likelihood of waiting for certain seasonal occurrences for the festivals. 

Lúnasa/August is the beginning of autumn, which was marked by the harvest. Nowadays traditions recognise it as August 1st on the Gregorian, which would have been on the eve before going by the ancients (sunset 31st by today's standards)  Ould Lammas Fair in Antrim is actually at the end of August, and Puckfest in Kerry is around the 10th. Our local mountain Sliabh Crúibe has traditional music at the top, where locals carry a stone to the top to help bury the '12 kings' which isn't until Blaeberry Sunday at the end of August, although I climbed the hill for Lughnasadh this last Sunday, and many other locals did the same thing.

All the Alexandrians I know celebrate the Sabbat on the weekend closest for convenience, so the "within a week" is dead on IMO Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)