The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 08:54:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 08:54:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Proposed Mosque Near Ground Zero  (Read 21621 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #15: August 04, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »

Phase the next.

Frivolous Filing: TV Preacher’s Legal Group Sues To Block Islamic Center In New York City

Yesterday, New York City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission voted unanimously to allow construction of an Islamic center in lower Manhattan. Immediately after the vote, TV preacher Pat Robertson’s American Center for Law and Justice announced that it would file suit to block the move.

http://blog.au.org/2010/08/04/frivolous-filing-tv-preacher%E2%80%99s-legal-group-sues-to-block-islamic-center-in-new-york-city/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AUblog+%28The+Wall+of+Separation%29

Robertson may be involved, but the ACLJ is Sekulow's baby.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 04, 2010, 07:19:18 pm »

I don't know if you guys have been following this, but the thinly veiled religious intolerance masquerading as hallowed patriotism--ratcheted up by election-year right-wing grandstanding--is making me crazy. Sarah Palin freaking weighed in on this (if the term "weighed in" can be used for such an intellectual lightweight), and shockingly the Anti-Defamation League followed suit. The latest:

Landmarks Commission Votes Down Preserving Site Of Proposed Mosque

(in other words, opponents of the mosque tried to get the existing building landmarked to prevent the mosque from being built; they lost, unanimously)

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/123121/landmarks-commission-votes-down-preserving-site-of-proposed-mosque

So glad to see some common sense regarding this.  I have a friend on facebook who is on the other side of the issue and I have to be very firm with myself to not respond to his posts.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 04, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »

(Love the maze image, BTW)

It's a Labyrinth not a Maze.  The difference is a Labyrinth does not have any false turns, while a Maze does. 

PS you can follow the path with your finger. 

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: August 05, 2010, 01:31:06 pm »

It's a Labyrinth not a Maze.  The difference is a Labyrinth does not have any false turns, while a Maze does. 

PS you can follow the path with your finger. 

A bit off topic, but it still bugs me: Why is the one with false turns not a labyrinth when it is clear from the description that that was what the original from Greek Mythology was?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 05, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »

A bit off topic, but it still bugs me: Why is the one with false turns not a labyrinth when it is clear from the description that that was what the original from Greek Mythology was?

In colloquial use that differentiation seems to be prominent, but the dictionary uses the words to define each other, and are interchangeable.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 05, 2010, 10:59:35 pm »

My apologies, you are correct.   My reason is that when I was planing the labyrinth for my congregation it became clear to me, that some of the people were afraid of getting lost in a maze.  (it is painted on a 20' x 20' canvas cloth).  When I used the term labyrinth, they were comfortable with that.

Light your candle.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 06, 2010, 05:25:08 pm »

I've got my aunt in a full rolling boil with this one over on facebook.

She's gone so far as to use the "you just don't get it" tactic coupled with the "you're too young to understand the pain and tragedy that us old folks experienced when the world changed" bit.

Aunt-(I pointed out that there are other mosques within a few blocks of Ground Zero)
I know there are mosques all over but this is about 9-11 and respect for those who died there which by the way aren't just Americans and changed everything in our county as we once new it. We will never feel the same again. Maybe because you haven't lived through as much and had to see for yourself what our Country really means you can't feel the pain and horror of what it really stands for
Mandi-
Last I checked I was alive during 9-11. If anything a long life should give one the worldliness and perspective to know that life changing tragedy is not limited to the ones that made the news in the last decade on our shores and that relevancy is not limited to emotional responses. Pain and horror don't excuse knee jerk responses. The Bush administration taught us that in spades followed up by a hefty helping of Obama to repeat the lesson.

Popular politics and media mongering rely on Americans reacting rather than thinking and tacking on their own personal suffering to fuel the fire - even in cases where it is completely unrelated. Torch bearing mobs typically are easier to build than disperse.

-LIz Pahir
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: August 06, 2010, 05:59:37 pm »

I've got my aunt in a full rolling boil with this one over on facebook.

She's gone so far as to use the "you just don't get it" tactic coupled with the "you're too young to understand the pain and tragedy that us old folks experienced when the world changed" bit.

(((Mandi)))

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 06, 2010, 06:29:55 pm »

(((Mandi)))

Lol, fortunately we're not close. :-) 

-LIz Pahir
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 06, 2010, 11:59:21 pm »

Aunt-(I pointed out that there are other mosques within a few blocks of Ground Zero)
I know there are mosques all over but this is about 9-11 and respect for those who died there which by the way aren't just Americans and changed everything in our county as we once new it. We will never feel the same again. Maybe because you haven't lived through as much and had to see for yourself what our Country really means you can't feel the pain and horror of what it really stands for

Mandi, please feel free to relate the following to your aunt:

--I'm a lifelong, native New Yorker; it was my city that had its heart torn to pieces

--I was here when it happened

--I lost a friend in 9/11

--Approaching age 50, I doubt I'm "too young" for anything

--...and I support the mosque 100%

Let her chew on that.

Nomad of Nowhere
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2012, 01:48:26 am

Religion: Slavic Polytheist

Gdje Yarilo hodi, tu vam polje rodi.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 07, 2010, 08:51:41 am »

I don't know if you guys have been following this, but the thinly veiled religious intolerance masquerading as hallowed patriotism--ratcheted up by election-year right-wing grandstanding--is making me crazy. Sarah Palin freaking weighed in on this (if the term "weighed in" can be used for such an intellectual lightweight), and shockingly the Anti-Defamation League followed suit. The latest:

Landmarks Commission Votes Down Preserving Site Of Proposed Mosque

(in other words, opponents of the mosque tried to get the existing building landmarked to prevent the mosque from being built; they lost, unanimously)

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/123121/landmarks-commission-votes-down-preserving-site-of-proposed-mosque

It's good to hear other people who think this is all ridiculous. To date, the only friend I've talked to about it disagreed with me, and said the mosque was disrespectful. I've sort of kept my mouth shut since. Really though, how large of a no-mosque radius do they think we should place around ground zero? There's all this arguing about putting a church there instead, but I wish we'd just place a church on one side of ground zero, and a mosque on the other, honestly.
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 08, 2010, 12:25:13 am »

It's good to hear other people who think this is all ridiculous. To date, the only friend I've talked to about it disagreed with me, and said the mosque was disrespectful. I've sort of kept my mouth shut since. Really though, how large of a no-mosque radius do they think we should place around ground zero? There's all this arguing about putting a church there instead, but I wish we'd just place a church on one side of ground zero, and a mosque on the other, honestly.

A church on one side and a mosque on the other, will not bring peace or understanding. 

Every year for  the holidays that occur in and around December, have Icons (physical representations) of various faiths and beliefs, and somewhere in the US (I think we lay claim to religious tolerance) there is a court case about displaying said Icons. Never mind the altercations that don't make the headlines.   

About what happen on 9/11 we need to get over it, and take responsibility for our part in 9/11.   It was a failure of the upper levels of US Intelligent Services that allowed it to happen, the grunts did their job (my reasoning for this comes from reading the 9/11 report).

Light your candle.

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 14, 2010, 09:35:53 am »

Phase the next.

And now, finally...

Obama makes clear support for ground zero mosque

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jYi7bqWuZd_crahzrd7UPoDxvyIAD9HJ79G80

Plus, depressingly...

Poll: Public strongly opposes Ground Zero mosque

The CNN/Opinion Research survey showed that 68 percent oppose the plan to build the mosque, compared to 29 percent who favor it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/113747-poll-public-strongly-opposes-ground-zero-mosque-

Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 14, 2010, 01:30:10 pm »

And now, finally...

Obama makes clear support for ground zero mosque

It leaves me head desking why ANYONE with half a clue would be surprised that Obama would support the Mosque.  He. Has. No. Choice.  His job is to uphold the constitution.  Were he to start denying certain groups their civil rights based upon religion, they would be right on the money in demanding that he be impeached. 

Funny that all the people complaining about how awful terrible horrible it is that the people building the Mosque are being 'allowed' to build it, yet not a one of them has said alright, if this is so popular, lets put up a collection to buy up all the property surrounding ground zero, make it a private park and be done with it.

-LIz Pahir
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 14, 2010, 02:02:39 pm »

Funny that all the people complaining about how awful terrible horrible it is that the people building the Mosque are being 'allowed' to build it, yet not a one of them has said alright, if this is so popular, lets put up a collection to buy up all the property surrounding ground zero, make it a private park and be done with it.

That's what I thought they should've done from the beginning.  The city should've just bought up however much land at and around ground zero, ripped up all the left over building pieces, and turned the damn thing into a city park w/trees and stuff.  And if they really felt it necessary, they could've put up a little memorial statue, or a wall like the Vietnam Memorial, within said park. Although I'm sure there'd've been a stupid-ass decade-long battle over what constituted a proper memorial, at least the grounds themselves would've been taken care of, and interest groups could've fought about the damn memorial to their heart's content while the rest of us got on with our lives. Angry

Nobody can really bitch that trees are "disrespecting 9/11 families". Roll Eyes

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)