The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 10:06:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 10:06:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bellydance  (Read 1453 times)
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 01, 2007, 03:04:04 pm »

anyone else out there a bellydancer?

What type of bellydance?  I'm not sure what I would call how I dance...I guess maybe some sorta tribal/turkish-gypsy fusion bellydance....I don't know though, it's just fun Grin

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 02, 2007, 08:12:22 pm »

anyone else out there a bellydancer?

What type of bellydance?  I'm not sure what I would call how I dance...I guess maybe some sorta tribal/turkish-gypsy fusion bellydance....I don't know though, it's just fun Grin

You are going to regret this topic.

I have taught, performed, competed professionally for six years, reiored this last year because I enjoy being married and my husband cannot survive the lifestyle of a professional dancer.

Watching me get dressed up to walk out the door and go be pretty for other people broke his heart in a way that i never really understood. I still wish it weren't that way, but it is what it is, and when the choice came down to it, a person is more important to me than a portion of my personality.

I have my AA in Theater Arts, with the major portion of my units in instrumental music and piano, as well as music theory and some visual arts. I was totally out of balance.  I could have graduated much earlier but took tons of electives.

Pictures:  I've got about 8 pages of pictures of the last 2 years of dance stuff after moving to Austin.  There's about 4 years of before that pics that I don't have online.

http://people.tribe.net/8bef96fd-72a5-42ac-8bec-34609b869783/photos

I've also got a youtube account with pics of a couple showing off sessions,

http://www.youtube.com/Seichi1

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 03, 2007, 07:31:44 pm »

You are going to regret this topic.

I have taught, performed, competed professionally for six years, reiored this last year because I enjoy being married and my husband cannot survive the lifestyle of a professional dancer.

Watching me get dressed up to walk out the door and go be pretty for other people broke his heart in a way that i never really understood. I still wish it weren't that way, but it is what it is, and when the choice came down to it, a person is more important to me than a portion of my personality.

I have my AA in Theater Arts, with the major portion of my units in instrumental music and piano, as well as music theory and some visual arts. I was totally out of balance.  I could have graduated much earlier but took tons of electives.

Pictures:  I've got about 8 pages of pictures of the last 2 years of dance stuff after moving to Austin.  There's about 4 years of before that pics that I don't have online.

http://people.tribe.net/8bef96fd-72a5-42ac-8bec-34609b869783/photos

I've also got a youtube account with pics of a couple showing off sessions,

http://www.youtube.com/Seichi1

oh! you are gorgeous! I can almost hear the music Smiley and I really like the tattoo in the middle of your chest!

I don't do anything professional...just fun for me..provides lots of giggles and laughter.........I used to be more into playing music but I've gradually shifted over to illustration....I get paid to draw comics and am starting a free women's arts publication in the Fall (the cover of the first issue actually has an illustration of a bellydancer..hehe Smiley ...the publication is actually called HassMysteria...so thas where that came from Tongue

anyway tho, too bad you can't come teach me...in need of a teacher *laughs* I was instructed a little bit, but for the most part I've been on my own learning to shimmy and roll  Cheesy and I'm loving dance...never thought it would be of too much interest to me...but ever since I started bellydancing that has all changed...I love to move now...and with bellydance I love the history of it and all that goes into the moves and how it makes you feel...all very very good Smiley ((as I know you must know hehe Smiley)

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 04, 2007, 10:45:01 am »

I don't do anything professional...just fun for me..provides lots of giggles and laughter.........I used to be more into playing music but I've gradually shifted over to illustration....I get paid to draw comics and am starting a free women's arts publication in the Fall (the cover of the first issue actually has an illustration of a bellydancer..hehe Smiley ...the publication is actually called HassMysteria...so thas where that came from Tongue

anyway tho, too bad you can't come teach me...in need of a teacher *laughs* I was instructed a little bit, but for the most part I've been on my own learning to shimmy and roll  Cheesy and I'm loving dance...never thought it would be of too much interest to me...but ever since I started bellydancing that has all changed...I love to move now...and with bellydance I love the history of it and all that goes into the moves and how it makes you feel...all very very good Smiley ((as I know you must know hehe Smiley)

The music is where you really learn it.  Learning to love middle eastern music is crucial.  My style base was Egyptian for the first couple years, but when I discovered Turkish music and Lebanese dance I was in HEAVEN.  I moved on to some folkloric stuff before retiring, doing some Nubian and Upper Egyptian stuff that was pretty neat, but less shimmy, and more stomp. Tunisian is cool cause of all the twisty stuff, Debke, Khaleegy is GREAT fun, and is an Arabic party dance.  Guedra I love just to make myself fall on the floor.

By learning to drum the rhythms the rest of your body can just drum along.  Play a little with your feet, hit the DUM's with your hips, do a tek-a-tek with a head toss... it's fun.

If you can get a hold of any Suhaila  stuff http://www.suhaila.com/ they are worth their weight in gold.  Suhailas Archives are her best basic instructional material.  She works you out in a way that is unbelievable.

Even not dancing I use a lot of her workout stuff just to try to stay somewhat in shape and it is EFFECTIVE because it targets the sports that really need it.  It also is sooo compatible with yoga and pilates.  The body awareness it gives you is beyond dreams.  I've never felt so in, and aware of motion.  Moving deliberately, and being still deliberately are pleasurable states.  You feel in control of your self.

www.bhuz.com is another great place to pick up dance stuff.  There's a huge variety of bellydance forums on Tribe.net as well.

Just remember, tuck tuck tuck! in all those solo practice sessions.  Back injuries are not fun.  Extend your lower back and tail bone like you're trying to root into the floor with the tip of your tail.  Zip the front of your pelvis up as if you were pulling up the zipper on too small jeans.  Shoulders down and back and your sternum open.   Wink

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 04, 2007, 01:48:14 pm »

The music is where you really learn it.  Learning to love middle eastern music is crucial.  My style base was Egyptian for the first couple years, but when I discovered Turkish music and Lebanese dance I was in HEAVEN.  I moved on to some folkloric stuff before retiring, doing some Nubian and Upper Egyptian stuff that was pretty neat, but less shimmy, and more stomp. Tunisian is cool cause of all the twisty stuff, Debke, Khaleegy is GREAT fun, and is an Arabic party dance.  Guedra I love just to make myself fall on the floor.

By learning to drum the rhythms the rest of your body can just drum along.  Play a little with your feet, hit the DUM's with your hips, do a tek-a-tek with a head toss... it's fun.

If you can get a hold of any Suhaila  stuff http://www.suhaila.com/ they are worth their weight in gold.  Suhailas Archives are her best basic instructional material.  She works you out in a way that is unbelievable.

Even not dancing I use a lot of her workout stuff just to try to stay somewhat in shape and it is EFFECTIVE because it targets the sports that really need it.  It also is sooo compatible with yoga and pilates.  The body awareness it gives you is beyond dreams.  I've never felt so in, and aware of motion.  Moving deliberately, and being still deliberately are pleasurable states.  You feel in control of your self.

www.bhuz.com is another great place to pick up dance stuff.  There's a huge variety of bellydance forums on Tribe.net as well.

Just remember, tuck tuck tuck! in all those solo practice sessions.  Back injuries are not fun.  Extend your lower back and tail bone like you're trying to root into the floor with the tip of your tail.  Zip the front of your pelvis up as if you were pulling up the zipper on too small jeans.  Shoulders down and back and your sternum open.   Wink

thank you for those tips! I'm going to check out those sites! Cheesy and also thanks for the last tip about the tail bone....I normally have a bad back and it is soooo hard sometimes without a teacher to know if you're doing something that's going to injure yourself...so yeh, thanks Smiley

I do really like middle eastern and Turkish music, but I don't have a very large amount of knowledge about it....have several cds...but nothing much, I'm sure you know some good cds? What about Egyptian specific music...I'd like to listen to that to just listen to it  Cheesy

edit: I just checked out the Suhaila site....I am assuming that the Introduction to Bellydance set would be the best to go with for me. Would the Fitness Fusion ones be good to use for practice along with that set, or do you think they are more advanced? I was also wondering if you knew anything about the Delilah dvds? I've been looking at those for awhile..but still have yet to order them

sorry for all these question  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:03:22 pm by hassMysteria » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.