The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 11:41:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 11:41:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Energy (building it up and grounding)  (Read 3130 times)
stephaniexelizabeth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 03:31:50 pm
United States United States

Religion: Trad. Witchcraft Novice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 05, 2010, 10:29:37 am »

Last night I practiced with energy a bit.

I stood barefoot on the floor and put on some music I love and am familiar with. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing and getting it in tune with the music. I then felt the energy in my feet going up my body and I swayed back and forth a bit.

I danced around a bit.

My question has to do with grounding and energy ball.

I couldn't really 'see' the energy. I felt it. It made me sway and was warm in my hands and feet. I felt a bit numb in my arms and legs and wobbly. Now, when I did the energy ball, I felt a bit of a concentration of energy in my hands, but once again, I didn't see it.

Is not seeing the energy normal?

Also, when I grounded the energy and I pushed my hands down and pushed them to the floor, I felt the energy being sucked from me. It felt like there was more energy sucked from me then I felt when I was building up the energy. I felt completely drained and shaky and after sleeping for 8+ hours, I still feel drained and slinky.

Is there a way to ground without losing all my energy? Is there a way I can learn to visualize energy, or do different people experience it differently?

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 05, 2010, 10:46:58 am »

Not an expert, but when I work with energy (which is rarely) I almost never see anything. From what I understand it manifests different for each person, and it's pretty rare for someone to "see" it. So if you're just feeling it, you're doing something right. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 05, 2010, 12:45:02 pm »

I couldn't really 'see' the energy. I felt it. It made me sway and was warm in my hands and feet. I felt a bit numb in my arms and legs and wobbly. Now, when I did the energy ball, I felt a bit of a concentration of energy in my hands, but once again, I didn't see it.

Quick answer, before I have to run off. (Hi, I harness nervous energy before interviews by answering questions!)

It really depends what your dominant mode is - some people are visual (the majority of our society, about 60-65%, in part because our society encourages it). Some people are audio - they work through sound. (Hi! I'm one of those.) Some people are kinesthetic (touch). It sounds like you might be the last.

Usually people have one really strong mode, one that they can use, but isn't the first thing that comes up, and one that's harder. (For me, visual is a *lot* harder: it took me years to be able to 'see' things in meditation, though I can now. Creating complex music in my head was very simple for me.)

Is there a way to ground without losing all my energy? Is there a way I can learn to visualize energy, or do different people experience it differently?

Think of it like cell osmosis - look to balance the energy between you and the ground (in other words, keep enough to keep you 'filled' and otherwise let the rest go.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Abgeneth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:39:02 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: (British Traditional) Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 05, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »

Honestly, I'm impressed. I haven't met a teen like you in forums for years now! Thank you for showing me that there are sensible young people out there who are genuinely interested in witchcraft!

As Ellen and Jenett already said, there is nothing wrong with not seeing the energy. I feel it too, and when I'm "visualising" I include as many senses as possible because trying to only "see" things doesn't work too well for me. Besides, do you like silent movies in your head? Wink

Also, when I grounded the energy and I pushed my hands down and pushed them to the floor, I felt the energy being sucked from me. It felt like there was more energy sucked from me then I felt when I was building up the energy. I felt completely drained and shaky and after sleeping for 8+ hours, I still feel drained and slinky.

I think this will become easier the more experience you gain.

For now, you could try to control the energy flow like the flow of liquid out of a bottle: Imagine you are the bottle and you could tilt yourself a bit, a bit more, or you could flip over and empty yourself completely. Or you could hold your thumb over the opening and shut it if necessary.

I hope that will help a bit!
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 05, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »

Last night I practiced with energy a bit.

I stood barefoot on the floor and put on some music I love and am familiar with. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing and getting it in tune with the music. I then felt the energy in my feet going up my body and I swayed back and forth a bit.

I danced around a bit.

My question has to do with grounding and energy ball.

Not seeing it is perfectly normal, what is important was that you were able to sense that it was there.  As you work with it more, you may start to see it.  I did not until I practiced aura seeing, and as that skill grew so did my seeing energy.

You say you "pushed" the energy.  That would be your problem right there.  Next time, try letting it just drain out of you, don't force it.  Grounding is supposed to leave you balanced, not tired. 
stephaniexelizabeth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 03:31:50 pm

Religion: Trad. Witchcraft Novice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 06, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »

Thank you everyone!

I've been practicing a bit more and will continue to practice Smiley

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 08, 2010, 08:48:09 pm »

I don't see energy either. I can visualize like no tomorrow, but I can't superimpose that image onto physical things. Now with that being said, I am, as far as I can tell, a visual learner. People trying to describe things auditory irritate me because I cannot for the life of me re-create the image to help direct me. An example would be my BF the other day reading a horoscope for me out of a Coffee News pamphlet they usually have at dinners and such around town. Now, it probably didn't help that I was also tired after spending the entire day at a rock concert festival, so it was even harder for me to actually concentrate. But basically, the words come in, I recognize what the words are, but I have no where in my brain to place them or connect to. And if I'm tired? The words go in one ear and out the other ear, basically. I need to see and read it for myself to make the appropriate connections.

With that being said, I have a feeling I am also a kinesthetic-tactile learner, and I have a feeling that its either my primary mode of learning stuff, or it complements my visual learning side of me. I am much more comfortable at learning things that I can do (writing a math problem, writing down notes, driving to particular places) and being able to commit it to memory for future use. And with that being said, my particular brand of learning makes being a solitary witch-in-training pagan suck goat dung, because I need to be able to feel/see it, and I don't have anyone around me to be able to help me out with that. So that may be why I am attracted to systems like hoodoo that are often more complex and require specific items, rather than saying just lighting a candle and doing energy-work with it. Clear as mud?  Cheesy

For the longest time, I didn't know how to "feel energy". I didn't understand what the concept was. And I struggled a bit, trying to figure out how others felt energy, and why couldn't I feel energy that way? It wasn't until I shut up that part of my brain and figures out how I feel energy, that I realized what energy felt like. And I don't think any amount of reading or teaching helped until I figured out how to experience it, rather than figure out how others experience it, if that makes any sense? Now that I CAN feel energy (my own way), a lot of concepts I never understood before (from solely reading about them) now make sense.

So I'd say keep it up, because to me you're doing great! I wish I could feel/do what you do right now. Haha. I wish I could be of more help to you (re: grounding with feeling energy-less), but I don't do grounding in a way most common to neo-Pagan (books). I feel at home in earth energy (Taurus is my sun sign, probably the most earthiest up the wazoo), and generally my "grounding" practice involves breathing it out and affirming different parts of me, rather than bringing up (through the roots) and then pushing the rest back down. If I do have "excess", it doesn't seem to alter me all that much. And I've never felt tired or energy-less after doing my "grounding"/daily practices.

Practice at least improves your current state. So I'd say keep with it, and try instead of pushing it all out, retain some within your body (sort of like the bottle technique like Abgeneth said), and see how that makes you feel and react that day.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 09, 2010, 05:15:03 pm »

That's funny. I always thought I was lousy because I can't see auras very well. But when I rub my hand together and take them apart slowly (making an 'energy ball') I see something looking a bit like current flowing between the hands - it just looks a bit more transparent than real current. I guess I'm a real weirdo.  Cheesy

But hey, don't waste too much time wondering what you should see or feel. I think - like it has already been said here - everyone's different and you're best off using your way of experiencing things. Of course it's all a bit weird in the beginning - and later too. Wink

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)