The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2021, 03:42:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2021, 03:42:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Being given a tool by a deity  (Read 7012 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 09, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »

I've had very few encounters in dreams and spirit journeys with deities who handed me one of their 'tools', all of those encounters were very intense. One was Artemis giving me a bow and an arrow to shoot something, one was Hekate handing me a torch to inflame something.

I'm still a bit puzzled about what it means to be given a tool by a deity. Both those instances had a specific function at that particular moment, they helped me with a step on my life path. But I'm wondering if I'll be working with those tools again...if there's any meaning apart from solving the imminent situation they were presented to me. If there's some 'energy' about the tool that will kinda linger in my hands? (Both experiences are recent enough so I don't know about long term implications if there are any.)

What are your experiences with that sort of thing? - I'd love to have some exchange about this subject.

I've also heard one shouldn't bring anything back from the otherworld and leave it there before returning into normal consciousness. I wonder if that applies here and what others think of this.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 09, 2010, 10:58:03 pm »

I've had very few encounters in dreams and spirit journeys with deities who handed me one of their 'tools', all of those encounters were very intense. One was Artemis giving me a bow and an arrow to shoot something, one was Hekate handing me a torch to inflame something.

I'm still a bit puzzled about what it means to be given a tool by a deity. Both those instances had a specific function at that particular moment, they helped me with a step on my life path. But I'm wondering if I'll be working with those tools again...if there's any meaning apart from solving the imminent situation they were presented to me. If there's some 'energy' about the tool that will kinda linger in my hands? (Both experiences are recent enough so I don't know about long term implications if there are any.)

What are your experiences with that sort of thing? - I'd love to have some exchange about this subject.

I've also heard one shouldn't bring anything back from the otherworld and leave it there before returning into normal consciousness. I wonder if that applies here and what others think of this.

I have been given things in a journey before, and I keep them in my "house" that I made for myself there.  I use them whenever I do magic and such on that plane.  I never tried to bring them back with me.  I don't know what it would do, but I would think you probably would not have much luck if you tried.

Or it may be an allegory.  Perhaps Hecate giving you a torch was her way of showing you that she is illuminating other aspects of your life.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 10, 2010, 04:10:05 am »

I have been given things in a journey before, and I keep them in my "house" that I made for myself there.  I use them whenever I do magic and such on that plane.
I think that's a good idea to store a tool so you have it ready if you need it for something else later. I have a house too, I'll look if I can find a place to keep it.

I never tried to bring them back with me.  I don't know what it would do, but I would think you probably would not have much luck if you tried.
I don't mean it in the physical sense. I've just heard one should leave such things on that plane because you need to properly end a spirit journey so it doesn't just go on the next time you lie down to a nap.

Or it may be an allegory.  Perhaps Hecate giving you a torch was her way of showing you that she is illuminating other aspects of your life.
It really had a very specific function, but I don't want to explain the whole complex story here. I would need to give you more context for you to interpret the use of the tool, but I don't want to interpret the specific journey here. I've just been wondering how others experience something similar and what they do with the tools when the imminent task is done. My guess would be that if a deity gives you something and doesn't call it back means you can keep it and use it...?

Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 10, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »

I think that's a good idea to store a tool so you have it ready if you need it for something else later. I have a house too, I'll look if I can find a place to keep it.
I don't mean it in the physical sense. I've just heard one should leave such things on that plane because you need to properly end a spirit journey so it doesn't just go on the next time you lie down to a nap.
It really had a very specific function, but I don't want to explain the whole complex story here. I would need to give you more context for you to interpret the use of the tool, but I don't want to interpret the specific journey here. I've just been wondering how others experience something similar and what they do with the tools when the imminent task is done. My guess would be that if a deity gives you something and doesn't call it back means you can keep it and use it...?

I know you don't mean in a physical way, it is just that for me, stuff on that plane works best on that plane.  If a deity gives you something, and does not ask for it back, I say keep it.  Just don't be surprised if he or she asks for it back some day.
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 10, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

So, I did a quick search here regarding Spirit Journeys... and I couldn't find anything.  Do any of you guys have any info on how to do such a thing? Or why one would, or why a person would need a tool? Sorry for the slightly off topic, I just haven't heard of such a thing before.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 10, 2010, 04:25:36 pm »

So, I did a quick search here regarding Spirit Journeys... and I couldn't find anything.  Do any of you guys have any info on how to do such a thing? Or why one would, or why a person would need a tool? Sorry for the slightly off topic, I just haven't heard of such a thing before.
You don't need a tool to go on a spirit journey, that's a very specific issue not having so much to do with spirit journeys in general.

I sometimes do some healing work in spirit journeys and sometimes I'm given tools for that, sometimes I don't need any, sometimes I am assisted by deities or animals, sometimes I just needed to permit them to do the work (that's the most difficult for me).

Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 11, 2010, 05:16:08 am »

Yeah, I'd be interested to know more too.

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 11, 2010, 05:49:27 am »

Sometimes it is called pathworking.  There are several different types of journeys, however.
Taliesin
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 11, 2010, 06:55:25 am »

Sometimes it is called pathworking.  There are several different types of journeys, however.

A quick search for 'pathworking' yielded a lot more positive results. Thanks!

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 11, 2010, 11:56:53 am »

A quick search for 'pathworking' yielded a lot more positive results. Thanks!

Dumb question... did you search here or say, on google?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Taliesin
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 11, 2010, 01:43:36 pm »

Dumb question... did you search here or say, on google?

Haha, on google. A lot of what I've found definitely requires taking with a pinch of salt, but this technique (http://www.compostcoven.org/compost/pathwork.html) seems to be good starting point and gives the general gist of how you can go about pathworking. (Obviously, it would need adapting to suit your belief system but I think that it would be easy to develop your own method off of this idea.)

I presume that a why would be to go into your sub-concious with a specific goal in mind -- to go in to 'fix' something from the inside? To further understand something about your character? Or to branch out and achieve aid/advice from the Gods or other entities? And the tools aren't physical, but metaphorical devices given by the Gods (or created by your sub-concious) to help you to see how to go about solving a problem (and give you a new angle if you had been seeing said problem/desired goal from the wrong perspective)? Divine intervention, as it were.

All of this is an (un)educated guess, of course. And everything I have just said might have been complete rubbish/not made any sense. I can but try. Cheesy

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 11, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »

Since there seems to be a lot of interest to spirit journeys in general...we started a book study group a while ago about Diana Paxson's 'Trance Portation' which I highly recommend. The book study group died out because there wasn't enough interest, but maybe some of you would be interested?

Apart from that the book is a really good read for that kind of work.

Another one is Starhawk's/Valentine's 'Twelve Wild Swans'.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 11, 2010, 01:50:55 pm »

Since there seems to be a lot of interest to spirit journeys in general...we started a book study group a while ago about Diana Paxson's 'Trance Portation' which I highly recommend. The book study group died out because there wasn't enough interest, but maybe some of you would be interested?
Wait a moment, I forgot something:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=8926.0

NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 11, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »

Haha, on google. A lot of what I've found definitely requires taking with a pinch of salt, but this technique (http://www.compostcoven.org/compost/pathwork.html) seems to be good starting point and gives the general gist of how you can go about pathworking. (Obviously, it would need adapting to suit your belief system but I think that it would be easy to develop your own method off of this idea.)

I presume that a why would be to go into your sub-concious with a specific goal in mind -- to go in to 'fix' something from the inside? To further understand something about your character? Or to branch out and achieve aid/advice from the Gods or other entities? And the tools aren't physical, but metaphorical devices given by the Gods (or created by your sub-concious) to help you to see how to go about solving a problem (and give you a new angle if you had been seeing said problem/desired goal from the wrong perspective)? Divine intervention, as it were.

All of this is an (un)educated guess, of course. And everything I have just said might have been complete rubbish/not made any sense. I can but try. Cheesy

No, that's clear enough for me, I don't mind the guesswork... Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. I'll have to go searching myself, as well.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 11, 2010, 03:56:00 pm »

Aha! Right on, thank you.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)