The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 25, 2022, 11:29:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2022, 11:29:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Familiar woes...  (Read 4577 times)
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am
United States United States

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 09, 2010, 07:05:51 pm »

My cat, Pixie, has been my faithful companion for over 8 years now.  She used to always invite herself into rituals and sit there while I communed with my Patrons.  I have noticed, however, in the past three years or so she has been pulling away from me in that respect.  She basically snubs her nose whenever I did rituals.  Is this a natural thing?  I have been thinking about traveling down another path, so is this her way of telling me that it is the right thing to do? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 09, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

My cat, Pixie, has been my faithful companion for over 8 years now.  She used to always invite herself into rituals and sit there while I communed with my Patrons.  I have noticed, however, in the past three years or so she has been pulling away from me in that respect.  She basically snubs her nose whenever I did rituals.  Is this a natural thing?  I have been thinking about traveling down another path, so is this her way of telling me that it is the right thing to do? 

Or she could just be bored.  Some days my kitties love to sit in on ritual (and participate) other times they are no where to be found. 
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 09, 2010, 11:56:03 pm »

Or she could just be bored.  Some days my kitties love to sit in on ritual (and participate) other times they are no where to be found. 

That could be it at that.  She is getting up there in years.  Maybe her interest has simply waned.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 10, 2010, 12:49:24 pm »

Did you used to have some sort or food offering or incense burning and you don't now?

I say that because I hold a pretty unpopular opinion about the whole familiar thing. Pretty much my take is cats/dogs have a whole lot less interest in what the person is doing than the fact there's food involved or smoke from incense.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: August 10, 2010, 03:25:27 pm »

I say that because I hold a pretty unpopular opinion about the whole familiar thing. Pretty much my take is cats/dogs have a whole lot less interest in what the person is doing than the fact there's food involved or smoke from incense.

I second this.
Our cats and dogs are pets.
One can have a unique and close connection to their pets, soul communication and friendship beyond the rainbow bridge. But that does not make them familiars. It makes them family. Wink

A familiar is an animal shaped spirit. There's the biggest difference for me.
This means it looks like a dog or a cat, but it is something else.
Which is creepy in my opinion (and which I came across once and I'm still spooked out by the experience. Believe me, you wouldn't want to have that at home.)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 10, 2010, 03:34:51 pm »

Did you used to have some sort or food offering or incense burning and you don't now?

No, but she does love candles. 
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 10, 2010, 03:49:31 pm »

No, but she does love candles. 

So you don't use candles now? Or did you change the type of candles? Are your candles scented and did that changed (intensity of the odor, etc).

There are just a whole lot of variables that can account for it, and I think looking for a more mundane answer is probably the best bet.

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 10, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »

I remember doing a dedication ritual when I was 18, on the beach. My dog and mom were hanging out, and both gave me a lot of space during the ritual...until I got to the cakes and ale part. Then my dog comes into the circle with this eager look on her face, and I could just hear her saying, "Oh, hey, watcha doing there? Can I help?" I gave her a cookie, she wagged her tail, and left.

My current cat has a single-minded passion to destroy my altar. If she's a familiar, she's one of the evil ones they talk about in the Malleus Maleficarum.*

*Disclaimer: I haven't actually read the thing yet; I'm just assuming.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Arienwen
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 10, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »

I remember doing a dedication ritual when I was 18, on the beach. My dog and mom were hanging out, and both gave me a lot of space during the ritual...until I got to the cakes and ale part. Then my dog comes into the circle with this eager look on her face, and I could just hear her saying, "Oh, hey, watcha doing there? Can I help?" I gave her a cookie, she wagged her tail, and left.

My current cat has a single-minded passion to destroy my altar. If she's a familiar, she's one of the evil ones they talk about in the Malleus Maleficarum.*

Luckily enough for me, my cat knows enough to stay away from my altar when I have it set up in an area she can get at it.  She did try once, and since that didn't go over well with me <i>at all</i> she never fooled with it again. 

I don't recall using different candles, I tend to get my votives from Yankee Candle, and usually in the same scents.  I have been moving her around a lot lately, and I don't think she appreciates that in the least.  She is very timid and will rarely be around anyone else besides me.  My friends jokingly call her "the ghost cat" because most of them  have  never actually <i>seen</i> her.  I was doing ritual in a more public setting, so that might have something to do with it.  Funny, I didn't even think of that until now.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 10, 2010, 07:04:52 pm »

I had a cat that was intensely interested in any ritual I was doing. I seriously wanted to take that as some sort of sign. Then one night I moved the incense to the other side of the room. Amazing. Her attention followed it. LOL

Your dog also probably knew it could cage a treat. Smiley

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 10, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »

Your dog also probably knew it could cage a treat. Smiley

Oh yeah. We called her "Blue the Mooch-Pooch." She was super-fat because she got people to give her treats all the time. (Also, every time we tried to put her on a diet, she'd just go and kill a chicken.)

Luckily enough for me, my cat knows enough to stay away from my altar when I have it set up in an area she can get at it.  She did try once, and since that didn't go over well with me <i>at all</i> she never fooled with it again. 

You are lucky. You have a cat who listens to discipline.

Mine knows very well that she's doing something that I don't like, and that she'll get punished for, but then she does it anyway. This is after following a friend's advice and putting orange oil all around the altar and on my sacred stuff, because cats apparently hate the taste and smell of citrus (and she does, I can tell). She's still hell-bent: must. destroy. mommy's. things!

I've ended up putting most of my altar stuff into a box. Seemed easier than fighting a tidal wave of destruction.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 10, 2010, 10:45:34 pm »

Mine knows very well that she's doing something that I don't like, and that she'll get punished for, but then she does it anyway. This is after following a friend's advice and putting orange oil all around the altar and on my sacred stuff, because cats apparently hate the taste and smell of citrus (and she does, I can tell). She's still hell-bent: must. destroy. mommy's. things!

My little cat is the same way, she plays with literally everything (even stole my knitting needles).  One day my boyfriend says exasperated, "Does this cat have no sense of personal property?"  I looked at him and replied, "Of course she does: Everything is hers".
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 10, 2010, 11:39:59 pm »

My little cat is the same way, she plays with literally everything (even stole my knitting needles).  One day my boyfriend says exasperated, "Does this cat have no sense of personal property?"  I looked at him and replied, "Of course she does: Everything is hers".

Cheesy Yep, sounds like my Charli.

Every day before I leave the house I have to do a hunt for my shoes because she's scampered off with them. (Only my flip-flops, thankfully. She's not strong enough to drag off my steel-toed boots...yet.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 11, 2010, 05:51:13 am »

Cheesy Yep, sounds like my Charli.

Every day before I leave the house I have to do a hunt for my shoes because she's scampered off with them. (Only my flip-flops, thankfully. She's not strong enough to drag off my steel-toed boots...yet.)

My same mischievous kitty has started dragging our winter boots around, and started using my roommates $200 leather ones as a scratching post.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #14: August 11, 2010, 06:27:02 am »

(even stole my knitting needles). 

At least she only steals your stuff.  I was moving out of an apartment once and when I moved the fridge to clean behind it I found a cache of hair ties, make-up sponges, Christmas ornaments, condoms, and gum.  It turned out my cat had been sneaking into my neighbours (my friend and heart-daughter) apartment and bringing home everything she could carry.

The condoms and gum came from inside Chell's dresser drawer - Tucker used to get in there somehow and bite the packages until she found one she wanted to bring home.  Her (Chell's) daughter has always referred to that cat as her 'real' mom -  Chell would always throw out any package with bite marks, of course, but she figures she must have missed one.  Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)