The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:25:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:25:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What would you like done with your sacred artifacts when you die?  (Read 6429 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 11, 2010, 10:39:31 am »

I would like to think I could pass them down to my kids, but given their current personalities I'm going to say that wouldn't be something I could do.  They would end up given away to friends as trinkets and otherwise used as toys, eventually destroyed and or lost.

'mom's weird animal and rock bits'

While they both attempt an elementary understanding, both boys lack the discipline to care for the items properly, and the Roo is still too young to be able to get a good feel of if she would or not.  Out of the three she seems she might.

If not, I'm not sure what I would want done with them.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: August 11, 2010, 11:15:49 am »

::shrug::  The only "sacred artifacts" I'd say I have are jewelry.  If something happened to me tomorrow, I'd want my daughter to have them when she's old enough.  She probably wouldn't treat them as sacred objects.  That's fine with me.  I use them for the purpose of honoring my patron, but I don't consider them to have any inherent sacredness; once they've passed out of the context of my own worship, they're just amber and silver again.  I hope she'd wear them (or at least keep them around) in memory of me, but that's about it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 11, 2010, 11:21:52 am »

I've been thinking of starting (within the next twenty years, heh) a Pagan college students' group with local chapters at different schools, much like Hillel or Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. Some network for Pagan students to use in lieu of starting their own group completely from scratch. So I'd like all my Pagan stuff to go to that hypothetical organization in the future. Cheesy Barring that, probably my local ADF grove.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 11, 2010, 04:15:43 pm »

I'm not sure what I would want done with them.

My mother-in-law just died.  My sister-in-law (husband's sister) and I were her only daughters.  She and I connected on a very spiritual level over the time that I knew her, and was the mother that I had the relationship I'd always wished I had with my own mother.  I never thought I'd actually receive any of her "sacred" things, but my sister-in-law gave me mom's tarot cards, and my father-in-law gave me mom's necklace (University of Michigan- to her it WAS sacred) and the first ring that he ever bought her.  I think that if you have children that love you, your items will be sacred to them because they were yours and they know they were important to you.  They may not use them in the same way, or revere them in the same way, but if they love you, they will be sacred none-the-less.

My things will go to my husband if he survives me, and to my children if not.  My things are just things.  The meanings they assign to them will be what make them special or not.

Ana

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 11, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

If I have kids, and they have an interest in it, I will give my stuff to them.  My book collection I would not mind being donated, but my Books of Shadows, if my children are not going to have the right maturity for it, I would want it burned.
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 11, 2010, 07:53:47 pm »

I think that if you have children that love you, your items will be sacred to them because they were yours and they know they were important to you.  They may not use them in the same way, or revere them in the same way, but if they love you, they will be sacred none-the-less.

Most of my sacred objects are things that have an inherent spiritual value.  Eg.  A set of Elk Antlers from Alaska given to me by a gal from Australia visiting the US as well as some stones from Egypt and a brown snakes top vertebrate.  a vultures wing feathers and egg shells and skull, Hawk feathers, a full turkey fan and Heron feathers, a set of hawk claws, a fox tail; mockingbird, dove, robin, finch and cowbird egg shells, etc etc. ad nauseum.

Long story short, bits of spirit work.  A lifetime of learning and looking. 

Without the intensive time to teach them why these are more significant than just a bunch of specimen jars they would become just that.  Disposable.  Donate-able.  Stuff a new wife would toss out.  To be cliche, they are the medicine bundles of my family tradition built through our moves back and forth across the US.  Stones, bones, insect bits, husk dolls, beadwork... 

They're more than just me, so to give them the background they would need to see it as more than moms dumb stuff means they would really have to have a calling to learn.  Otherwise, I guess like Nimue mentioned, burning would be the other alternative - although it would be a crying shame to see it go, since not so many sacred collections are being built.

I have hope that my youngest will grow to take them on, but if not it would bum me out.

-LIz Pahir
Audrey
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:45:29 am

Religion: Druid candidate

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 18, 2010, 10:58:41 am »

I would probably pass some of them along to others, especially most of the jewelry because I find that even if people do not use them to worship they usually cherish things given to them by people of the past.  But some of my things that I use on an everyday or ceremonial basis (mostly things with no meaning to others) I want to be buried with me.  I cannot really justify why I want that, I just know that I do.

Audrey
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: August 18, 2010, 11:07:02 am »

I have hope that my youngest will grow to take them on, but if not it would bum me out.

It might make the items more accessible to the next generation if you carefully document all the items in writing, with detailed explanations of what they are and their significance.

Sperran
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 19, 2010, 11:45:04 am »

It might make the items more accessible to the next generation if you carefully document all the items in writing, with detailed explanations of what they are and their significance.

Sperran

That's a thought.  I may end up doing that. 

-LIz Pahir
Lailoken
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 23, 2010, 03:39:38 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 22, 2010, 12:51:22 pm »

I would like to think I could pass them down to my kids, but given their current personalities I'm going to say that wouldn't be something I could do.  They would end up given away to friends as trinkets and otherwise used as toys, eventually destroyed and or lost.

While they both attempt an elementary understanding, both boys lack the discipline to care for the items properly, and the Roo is still too young to be able to get a good feel of if she would or not.  Out of the three she seems she might.

I've always thought it would be rather nice to be buried with them, including my grimoire (if I ever get around to condensing them into one book).

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 22, 2010, 04:56:44 pm »

I would like to think I could pass them down to my kids, but given their current personalities I'm going to say that wouldn't be something I could do. 

I don't have any kids.

My will makes my HPS the executor of the will.  She has private instructions re certain items and my BOS.; in return, she has dibs on the library.  The rest of my books are donated to the local public library after my family and friends, in named order, get their choices.

I'm still debating who gets my house.  My brother's children aren't interested, as far as I know:  they are city kids.  I'm torn between donating it to the Boy Scouts or the Nature Conservancy or Heifer International.

--------------
BlessÚd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 29, 2010, 05:23:54 pm »

I think my youngest son might do well with them. He steals all those type of things I find and claims them as his own anyway. My youngest daughter is too young to tell yet, but the teens just roll their eyes at all my beliefs - probably cause they are teens LOL. Beyond that I don't really know... I know I would like my journal of learning to be kept somewhere where someone can get some use and/or insight from it.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 29, 2010, 08:16:23 pm »

If I have kids, and they have an interest in it, I will give my stuff to them.  My book collection I would not mind being donated, but my Books of Shadows, if my children are not going to have the right maturity for it, I would want it burned.

Consider what they'll think 20 or so years later when they are trying to reconstruct the material you had destroyed when they were immature tweens. 

childofolympus
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 20, 2010, 04:36:35 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Hellenic pagan
TCN ID: childoflympus

Minds are like parachutes & work best when open.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 20, 2010, 02:41:44 am »

> I would like to think I could pass them down to my kids, but given their current personalities I'm going to say that wouldn't be something I could do. 

I would like certain items cremated with me ( I don't want to be buried, I'd rather be scattered to the wind )... I am proudly pagan & that won't stop with death. Other items... if I have kids on day it would depend on their personalities. I suppose the items I value the most I"d want given to loved ones who'd appreciate them, the rest I'd like sold off & the $$ given to loved ones as well... for me spirituality doesn't reside in physical items, it lives in the heart. And this would b the final thing I could do to take care of those precious to me.

Blessed Artemis: Help me to know my wildness so that I may abandon my fears. Teach me the surety of the arrow. Guide my footsteps to the silent path so that I might walk beside you in the green.
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 24, 2010, 06:25:59 pm »

If I went first they would go to my SO.  We do not have children and do not intend to, so that's out.  Right now I would likely donate my library (spiritual and otherwise) whole cloth to whichever library I was currently patronizing.  As for my tools, I'm hoping to get really old, and I think that if I keep accumulating things at the rate I do now I will need to start slowly giving things away to people who seem like a good fit or else I will be buried in a giant mound of tools...

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)