The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 10:42:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 10:42:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What would you like done with your sacred artifacts when you die?  (Read 6428 times)
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 01, 2010, 04:45:17 pm »

If I have kids, and they have an interest in it, I will give my stuff to them.  My book collection I would not mind being donated, but my Books of Shadows, if my children are not going to have the right maturity for it, I would want it burned.

I will be cremated with parts of my Book of Shadows and with my Medicine bag and my other closely connected spiritual items. As for the rest of them I will let the items decide who they go to. If I die suddenly I have prepared something like a will. That will make sure that they are atleast passed to responsible individuals who can use the or distribute them properly. I believe we are  only caretakers of what we have anyway and that we truely do not posess anything.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 08, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »

If I have kids, and they have an interest in it, I will give my stuff to them.  My book collection I would not mind being donated, but my Books of Shadows, if my children are not going to have the right maturity for it, I would want it burned.
I feel along these lines too. If I do have children I would like all of my personal belongings passed to them. And some things, that are important to me or my deities, yet not really anything of intrinsic worth to others, I would like them burned, preferably with me, but I dunno if that would happen lol.

SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 06, 2011, 10:25:08 am »

I feel along these lines too. If I do have children I would like all of my personal belongings passed to them. And some things, that are important to me or my deities, yet not really anything of intrinsic worth to others, I would like them burned, preferably with me, but I dunno if that would happen lol.

I agree with that - anything devotional or religious I'd like to take with me, if I could, please. Just in case there's a long journey ahead and I need a good reminder of who I am seeking out! I suppose this applies to devotional items that are more 'of the gods' than 'of myself', sacred items, weoh items. (I am going to get slapped if that term is wrong.) This would include statues, focal images/items, and offering bowls. They are of the gods, and I'd like them to accompany me.

Practical devotion items like chalices, horns, jewellery are something of mine put in service to the gods. When I am no longer alive to use them, I'd prefer they were given to someone who could use them. If the best I can get is them being put in a cupboard rather than thrown away, then let them rest there until my fingerprints have been faded away by time and they are just old objects. Someone in time will claim them, if only from the shelf of a second-hand shop in town.
Although, I will be taking good jewellery if it is not directly claimed!

Magical items, if not wanted by a family member... Same thing I guess. The dust of time, the spring cleaning, the charity shop donation bag. If the current trend of Wicca 101 continues along the line of 'if you buy old items, cleanse and consecrate to be rid of peripheral mojo', I don't really care about leaving behind my 'magic personal energy' on an item. Give it to kids to play with, if it has no sharp edges.

Subject to change.  Cheesy

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
Grimsman
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 01:58:04 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Anglo Saxon Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 12, 2011, 12:31:19 pm »

I would like to think I could pass them down to my kids, but given their current personalities I'm going to say that wouldn't be something I could do.  They would end up given away to friends as trinkets and otherwise used as toys, eventually destroyed and or lost.

'mom's weird animal and rock bits'

While they both attempt an elementary understanding, both boys lack the discipline to care for the items properly, and the Roo is still too young to be able to get a good feel of if she would or not.  Out of the three she seems she might.

If not, I'm not sure what I would want done with them.

All my stuff will go to my lovely Hellenist wife Dithyramb - and as she's considerably younger than I, the chances of me outliving her are minimal. Possibly one or two items I might stipulate to be buried with me. Beyond that, we'll be stipulating that they go to the Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle, Cornwall, England, who I think can be trusted to either keep or dispose of them sensitively.

There's no way I'd leave any of that stuff to my kids (from my previous marriage) - nor, I think, anyone else.......

Grimsman
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 13, 2011, 07:51:36 pm »

According to my will, everything goes to my best friend. She's very well aware of my religious beliefs and respectful towards them, although she won't have use for anything. If she wants to hold on to my stuff, great. If not, okay. My stuff isn't anything all that special - just normal stuff. If you consider a horn normal... and a sword. The sword is the only thing that I gave any specific instructions for. If she has kids, it's to be passed on to one of them. If not, and my brother has kids, one of them will get it. And then there's my half-brother so it could go to his kids if he ends up having any. And although if none of those people have kids, I'm out of actual relations I can give it to, but there's always the step family.
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 13, 2011, 10:12:59 pm »

I'm sort of of the opinion that a sacred object is only a sacred object to the person that holds it sacred, once they die it loses that sacredness and becomes just a trinket until the time when someone else uses it as sacred.

Like for instance my great great aunts crystal ball and tarot cards... she held them sacred, but once she died they just became trinkets, family heirlooms... although my intention is to get my hands on them and learn to use them for myself, thus once again making them into something sacred.

My mother put them in a box somewhere and is looking for them for me now. But she and her boyfriend are selling their house so it might be a while before I get them.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 13, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »

This is an issue that is very dear to me and very close to my heart.  Let me explain.

I am 52 years old and spent probably 40 of those years seeking something that I always saw in dream.  I'd get up in the middle of the night and just start looking every where and any where.  Where I lived really didn't matter as I did it while I was living at home, at every duty station I served at for the 23 years I served.  Like a man possessed I tore through everything and couldn't stop my seeking though I could never find the item that I searched for.

The item was a simple thing of no great value to anyone really.  I saw it as a hat pin, as a broach and even as a locket.  Heck at one time I even saw it as a virgin pin though that one through me for a loop until I discovered what a virgin pin was.

I did finally discover the item.  In all the years of looking my mother never sat me down and just asked what it was that haunted me so badly and made me seek so desperately.  One night over coffee in the late hours we finaly sat down and I described the item to her.

She got up afterwards and went into her jewerly box and returned with this very worn and aged item.  As she unwrapped it I knew beyond a doubt what it was, it was the pin I had searched for nearly all my life.

If had belonged to my great-great-grandmother.  It started out life as a fancy broach pin that connected her family back to Scotland.  Over time it was changed to make it a clasp type pin, a chain was added to make it a locket, at one point it was afixed to the head of a needle type fixture to make it a virgin pin.  While we could never prove we belived at one time it had in fact been a kilt pin though part of the original crest was long gone and we never knew for sure which tartan it belonged to.

Why I searched I really do not know.  I just knew it was a clue to my heritage and was something I had to find in order to receive the next clue that it pointed to.  A clue that lies buried in the ruins of a castle that lies upon the Isle's of Lewis in the Outer Hebridies Islands I am certain.

For 5 generations that pin has been passed down through my family line, not once did I ever see it, but I spent almost all my life looking for it.

So I will pass my things down to my children or grand-children as Spirit and the gods / goddesses move me to do so.  Knowing that all I pass today or tomorrow may not be for a person yet born, nor one I shall ever know.  Yet like the pin I sought there may come a time when one of my descendents shall be moved to seek as I was.  Driven to find something they have no idea of the why of it but it shall visit them in dream, vision and echoes across the sands of time.

As it stands today that pin will go to my wife upon my mother's death for her to hold until it is to be given to my grand-daughter.

But then again that broach came from the woman who predicted my birth and birthdate long before my mother met my father and even considered the possibility of a family.  But that's the way it works in my family at times grand-parent to grand-child.
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 13, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »

Right now, my son gets it all. Then he can decide who gets what, what he wants to keep, etc.. However, if any of the kids in my family grow up to take an interest in these things, that will probably change. My oldest nephew is definitely taking an interest right now, he's 13, but he could grow out of it. Or maybe into it, who knows?

I have a lot of jewelry that is important to me, too. Some of it is witchy stuff, some of it was my grandmother's, all of it has some kind of story to go with it. If my expected niece shows any liking for it, she'll get most of it.

I also have some things that belonged to my husband's family. Not necessarily what most people would consider sacred, but definitely family heirlooms. My sister in law wasn't interested in keeping them at all, so I'm keeping them for my stepson.
Phoenixgoddess
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 08:30:57 am
Australia Australia

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 14, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

My grandson who is now 41/2 and my granddaughter will be the recipients of my collections of tarot cards, conjure hands, crystals and other magical stuff I possess.
They are psychic also and they both use and play with my crystals and angel cards.
When my grandson comes over he immediately goes to a bowl of crystals I have beside my bed and chooses what he knows I need that day. He is very intuitive and is always right.
At the moment he has a thing for my runes and my granddaughter a thing for a set of fairy cards which I have now given to her, shes 31/2.
I know that they respect and treasure and will also hand down stuff from me, as my grandmother passed stuff to me.

"Always be yourself... because the people that matter, don't mind and the people that do mind, don't matter".

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)