The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:02:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:02:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle Making  (Read 1744 times)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 12, 2010, 02:48:31 pm »

Anyone here at TC interested in candle making?  Let's discuss!

I'm very interested in learning how to make my own candles and scents, but I'm a complete newbie with it and am really afraid of setting the place on fire Wink.

I checked out the supplies at Hobby Lobby and was disappointed to see how much this very interesting craft would cost.  I'm hoping to find some alternative source for supplies.  Also, can one make candles from used wax? 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: August 12, 2010, 03:07:32 pm »

Yes, yes and yes.  Cheesy

It's been a time, but I make candles myself.
And don't go looking in the craft shops for supply, it'll cost a fortune.

I hunt my raw material down in the Dollar-(well in that case Euro Wink) Stores.
Get cheap household candles there. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can get a dozen for a few bucks.

Here's how I do it.

I melt them in a pot. (The pot-in-water-in-pot method is not practical in my opinion.)
It is an old, but coated pot and I put it on the smallest flame (have a gas stove).
Then I put the candles in it and they melt slowley. Of course you need to stand by.

The wicks I fish out and use them for the new candle.

If the candles I melted are white, I use crayons to color the candle-to-be.

My favorite method ist to use TP rolls. The size is just perfect.
Soak the roll into some oil, that way it will peel off the finished candle easier.

I take some plastic cups to mix up the shards from the crayons and herbs, incense and essential oils. Then I take some of the not too hot wax (the essential oils will vanish if it is too hot) and mix it all up in that cup. The crayon shards melt and color the candle nicely. It will be not too intense though, more pastel shades.

The prepared tp roll (the wick put underneath, on some toothpick) stands in some sand.
Then just pour the wax into the form.

Oh the sand needs to be wet, that way the wax won't leak.

The candles smell wonderfull and you can put about everything in them.
Which is nice for a witch Wink

Just go for a try, it is really fun. Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 12, 2010, 03:13:51 pm »

I'm very interested in learning how to make my own candles and scents, but I'm a complete newbie with it and am really afraid of setting the place on fire Wink.

I use a water bath, making overheating the wax nearly impossible.  My base vessel is an old crock pot/deep fryer with a temperature range of 0 to 450.  Into this goes water and the wax vessel.  For tapers I use a long, thin tin that barely accommodates two tapers.  For pouring I use an old aluminum coffee pot.  I got everything for cheap or free via Craig's List, yard sales, and second-hand stores.

I checked out the supplies at Hobby Lobby and was disappointed to see how much this very interesting craft would cost.  I'm hoping to find some alternative source for supplies.  Also, can one make candles from used wax? 

My favorite supplier for wicks, molds, and colorants is Glory Bee.  They also have terrific deals on raw beeswax, though the shipping can be a little steep.

And making new candles from old, yes, entirely doable.  You'll likely know little to nothing about the burning qualities, though (wax temps, etc.).  Try to avoid anything scented (or at least heavily scented).  Recycling works great for very dark/black candles.

Brina
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 12, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

Wow.  You just gave me the most amazing flashback of a camp I went to as a kiddo.  I was like 9 or ten.  We did poured candles in molds.  To this day I remember the smell!  Amazing!

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 12, 2010, 10:34:02 pm »

I melt down the wax from candles I used in rituals.  I also make my own wick by braiding tightly 100% cotton thread.
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 13, 2010, 09:46:26 am »

Wow.  You just gave me the most amazing flashback of a camp I went to as a kiddo.  I was like 9 or ten.  We did poured candles in molds.  To this day I remember the smell!  Amazing!

Glad I could help :p

Yes, yes and yes.  Cheesy

Thanks for the advice everyone!  After I master this knitting thing, I'm on to candles! 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Crystaldo
Last Login:October 04, 2010, 11:46:05 am

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 09, 2010, 11:17:09 pm »

Candle making is also my hobby. I was learned many methods in how to make candle through internet. You can also surf in Google for different tutorials.
lery0817
Last Login:October 23, 2010, 01:05:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: catholic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 15, 2010, 10:43:23 pm »

I had tried candle making since our activities during High school. Actually, it is not easy to make candles because you will need patience at the same time much effort to make the candle perfect. However, it is really interesting to make some, especially when you are required for the best materials for it.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 16, 2010, 02:33:43 am »

I had tried candle making since our activities during High school. Actually, it is not easy to make candles because you will need patience at the same time much effort to make the candle perfect.

Why do they need to be perfect?  I made candles with my homeschool group that were all manner of lumpy and organic looking.  They burned just as well as the ones I made more meticulously.

Brina
Autumn Twilight
Journeyman
Last Login:September 08, 2011, 12:06:43 pm

Religion: Pagan/unspecific

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 08, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »

Why do they need to be perfect?  I made candles with my homeschool group that were all manner of lumpy and organic looking.  They burned just as well as the ones I made more meticulously.

Brina

I made candles in middle school-FUN! That said, I think that my kids and I will make candles over winter break! Regardless of what they look like the energy you put into them make them that much better.

~Dawna~

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)