The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 10:38:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 10:38:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: trying to quit smoking  (Read 2437 times)
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 01, 2007, 10:54:52 pm »

anyone ever done this? today would be day 4 without a cigarette......so I guess I'm doin ok......

every now and then I think to myself of all the times I'm going to miss smoking...like when I drive...for some reason I always seemed to smoke the most while driving.

So before I decided to quit, I stopped smoking while driving.

I think I will probably go a little crazy before I reach 2 weeks.....but once I reach two weeks I won't want to start smoking again for the sole reason that I actually made it to two weeks..

My plan thus far for quitting has been to go out on the balcony every time I feel like smoking.....and blow bubbles. I went and bought bubbles to help me quit smoking......reading that now doesn't seem to make much sense, but it's been working and either way blowing bubbles isn't detrimental to my health Cheesy..... I still have a reason to go out on the balcony, plus watering my seeds that I planted, and when I get my caterpillars, I will also be going out there to watch my caterpillars turn into butterflies...and I can't imagine cigarette smoke being good for creatures going through transformation...nor for plants..

my main reason for quitting is health and for better breathing during meditation  Tongue now I almost feel it's a competition with the cigarettes....can't let them win!! I have an almost ongoing argument with myself....one side says how comforting cigarettes are and how much I enjoy smoking them....the other says I want to live as long as possible..and if I am to die young anyways, to live well and healthfully.............I just really don't want to turn into an irritable mess without cigarettes....but that has to be the cigarettes talking..trying to make me think I can't be clm and collected without them.....but i'll show them

anyone ever see a Body Worlds exhibit at a science museum? Well at one they have donated bodies that were treated with some sort of plaster and put in different artistic positions....and also a lot of organs and the effects of different illnesses and habits (such as smoking) I mean...I knew lungs looked gross after smoking for awhile...but seeing a lung right in front of you of someone who obviously is dead...yeh...they even had a place to leave your cigarette packs....I didn't leave mine yet..that was probably ayear ago...but it still lingered in my mind Tongue

I dunno.....I just don't know anyone who has quit smoking...anyone?

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 01, 2007, 11:06:27 pm »

anyone ever done this? today would be day 4 without a cigarette......so I guess I'm doin ok......

Yep. I quit in Spring 2004 after smoking for 25 years. Toughest thing I ever did. Twice. Sad

My suggestion is do NOT do it cold turkey unless you're a very strong willed person. Or haven't smoked much or for long. Go with the patch (step down) and you will probably want to stay at each stage for at least one packet beyond what is recommended for the first and second stages. For the third, I'd say plan on three to four beyond. Then get your 2 mg nicotine gum and rely on that for a while.

I used the gum for a good two years, though only one piece a day (at night after dinner) and the rest of the time went with Extra sugarless gum. And I blew threw that very fast.

And good luck. Stay busy. You're going to want to eat, so take the opportunity to increase excercising at the same time if at all possible. Keep veggie snacks on hand to help when the gum doesn't.

Best thing to remember is that it can be done, and, unfortunately, you'll probably want a cigarette desparately at various times in your life. That just doesn't go away. **sigh**

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 02, 2007, 03:50:49 pm »

Yep. I quit in Spring 2004 after smoking for 25 years. Toughest thing I ever did. Twice. Sad

My suggestion is do NOT do it cold turkey unless you're a very strong willed person. Or haven't smoked much or for long. Go with the patch (step down) and you will probably want to stay at each stage for at least one packet beyond what is recommended for the first and second stages. For the third, I'd say plan on three to four beyond. Then get your 2 mg nicotine gum and rely on that for a while.

I used the gum for a good two years, though only one piece a day (at night after dinner) and the rest of the time went with Extra sugarless gum. And I blew threw that very fast.

And good luck. Stay busy. You're going to want to eat, so take the opportunity to increase excercising at the same time if at all possible. Keep veggie snacks on hand to help when the gum doesn't.

Best thing to remember is that it can be done, and, unfortunately, you'll probably want a cigarette desparately at various times in your life. That just doesn't go away. **sigh**

thanks for the advice Smiley I've been doing it cold turkey until I get some money and then I've been planning on going out and getting some sort of aid so I don't rip anyone to shreds

I've been smoking for 5 years....in the first few years I smoked heavily, and then the last year I've been smoking a lot less....usually around 3-4 cigarettes a day. I've noticed subtle changes in how well I breathe, and it's reeeally bothered me.....so I'm really hoping this quitting will make that go away  Tongue

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 02, 2007, 04:58:39 pm »

I've been smoking for 5 years....in the first few years I smoked heavily, and then the last year I've been smoking a lot less....usually around 3-4 cigarettes a day. I've noticed subtle changes in how well I breathe, and it's reeeally bothered me.....so I'm really hoping this quitting will make that go away  Tongue

It helped me, and I was a much, much heavier smoker than you. Proabably 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day unless I was drinking...then it was more. Course, a whole lot of those cigarettes sort of smoldered away in an ashtray without me doing much, but still.

You'll definitely want to read the packaging to find out which patch to use. From what I remember, it sounds as if you're on the step 3 patch. I'd try to go with at least one box of those and then slide over to the gum.

And best of luck to you. It's hard to do, but it can be done. And you will feel better, I'm sure.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 02, 2007, 07:58:48 pm »

Best advice I've heard regarding the topic.

My dad is a lifer, and after a stroke in 2006 was told he NEEDED to quit or he could expect a short term lease on the living thing.  He struggled with it for 28+ years and is smoking less than ever been before, but it's still a touchy spot.

Good choice all the same.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 02, 2007, 08:38:23 pm »

Best advice I've heard regarding the topic.

My dad is a lifer, and after a stroke in 2006 was told he NEEDED to quit or he could expect a short term lease on the living thing.  He struggled with it for 28+ years and is smoking less than ever been before, but it's still a touchy spot.

Thanks. Smiley I have sympathy for anyone trying to quit.

My dad is one of those people who can't. Even after a quintuple bypass, he can't. He can stop for awhile...maybe as long as a year...but he goes back to it. He's smoked for 50 some odd years, and I've never known him to go longer than a year without a cigarette.

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 02, 2007, 09:42:58 pm »

I dunno.....I just don't know anyone who has quit smoking...anyone?

Agreeing with those who advise not to go cold turkey.  That's how I quit and it was neither easy nor pleasant. 

Probably completely impractal advice, but have you thought about using magic(k) to help manifest your desire to stop smoking?  I'm not suggesting it as alternative to other methods of quitting, but as just one more thing you can do.  Just a thought!

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: June 02, 2007, 11:21:34 pm »

Thanks. Smiley I have sympathy for anyone trying to quit.

My dad is one of those people who can't. Even after a quintuple bypass, he can't. He can stop for awhile...maybe as long as a year...but he goes back to it. He's smoked for 50 some odd years, and I've never known him to go longer than a year without a cigarette.

Same thing with my dad.  He has smoked since he was twelve, which means 67 years.  He's one of the ones you hear about with no health problems that are related to the smokes.  He has good lungs, good heart, etc.  His only health problems are diabetes and a bad back.

My mom has cancer, as I've posted about, but so did her mother and grandparents, who never smoked.  She's been told it's genetic and might be one of the types that affect FN peoples more than others.

She's trying to quit smoking, though, and dad is going out to smoke.  Just because there were other factors involved in her illness doesn't mean smoking didn't make it worse.  Her chances are better than her forebears', but that's because of better diagnosis and treatment, not because she smoked and they didn't.  Not smoking would have bettered her odds as much as the better treatment options have.

My dad has no desire to quit, and given his check-ups, little motivation.  One sister has quit and one is trying to, since the specific cancer mom has is genetic.  I'm not really sure how much difference it will make, given family history, but it can't hurt.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #8: June 02, 2007, 11:26:21 pm »

Probably completely impractal advice, but have you thought about using magic(k) to help manifest your desire to stop smoking?  I'm not suggesting it as alternative to other methods of quitting, but as just one more thing you can do.  Just a thought!

I'm not quite sure who it was (I'm thinking Everfool, or possibly Faerie K  Fausta) but at some point there was a discussion on here about manifesting one's depression as an external force and then banishing it.  I'm pretty sure it was a Chaote discussion, but it might work in other systems.  Manifest the desire as a construct, banish or dissipate the construct, repeat as necessary.  Along with using whatever aids are available and affordable.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 03, 2007, 08:55:51 am »

Same thing with my dad.  He has smoked since he was twelve, which means 67 years.  He's one of the ones you hear about with no health problems that are related to the smokes.  He has good lungs, good heart, etc.  His only health problems are diabetes and a bad back.

I read somewhere a few years ago that some scientists thing there may be a gene (or combination of genes) that make a few people almost complete immune to smoking caused cancer. Your father sounds like a candidate.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: June 03, 2007, 10:03:01 am »

I read somewhere a few years ago that some scientists thing there may be a gene (or combination of genes) that make a few people almost complete immune to smoking caused cancer. Your father sounds like a candidate.

It would be nice if that could counteract some of mom's genes.  We've all had pre-screenings, and we're all okay so far, but the oldest of my sibs is 49 so it wouldn't necessarily show up yet.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 03, 2007, 10:10:43 am »

I'm not quite sure who it was (I'm thinking Everfool, or possibly Faerie K  Fausta) but at some point there was a discussion on here about manifesting one's depression as an external force and then banishing it.  I'm pretty sure it was a Chaote discussion, but it might work in other systems.

It was me talking about depression, but Fausta also got involved in the discussion.  I believe she had used the technique on different targets.

And yes, it should work in other symptoms - I obtained it from Kraig's book on Ceremonial Magick. Smiley

That said, it doesn't stop the problem from coming back - in my experience it just means I've got a metaphorical whip to hold over my depression assuming I have the presence of mind to use it, and the Will.  (Recently I'd suffered quite deep depression based on my joblessness, and while aware I could make my depression go away, I didn't really want to fight it).

That said, every little helps. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 03, 2007, 07:19:21 pm »

My mom has cancer, as I've posted about, but so did her mother and grandparents, who never smoked.  She's been told it's genetic and might be one of the types that affect FN peoples more than others.

She's trying to quit smoking, though, and dad is going out to smoke.  Just because there were other factors involved in her illness doesn't mean smoking didn't make it worse.  Her chances are better than her forebears', but that's because of better diagnosis and treatment, not because she smoked and they didn't.  Not smoking would have bettered her odds as much as the better treatment options have.

My dad has no desire to quit, and given his check-ups, little motivation.  One sister has quit and one is trying to, since the specific cancer mom has is genetic.  I'm not really sure how much difference it will make, given family history, but it can't hurt.

Absent

I don't know much about cancer, but I do know that my grandmother died of breast cancer....but she had lung cancer before having breast cancer which spread....and so on...and I do believe that she was a smoker, but I don't know for how long or how much (I didn't know her)

My grandfather on my mother's side has skin cancer and smokes cigars not too often.....I don't know if the two are related.

I'm always sort of worried I may get breast cancer...........everything in my family seems to skip a generation....maybe not with this, I don't know..

I hope quitting will significantly reduce the chances of getting cancer............or what if I'm just meant to get cancer....I read somewhere that a cancer gene can be detected with some medical test that can determine whether you are going to get cancer...but I'm not sure if it said anything about removing the gene, or if they can even do that..

*ramble*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)