The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 03:29:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 03:29:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Systems  (Read 2973 times)
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 02, 2007, 03:43:05 am »

I've heard here and there about how some people like to create their own divination systems...as in, creating their own little symbols/sigils and assigning meaning to them.

Has anyone here done this? What kind of imagery did you use? What kind of layout did you come up with? How did you come up with the significance of each image/piece?

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 02, 2007, 03:35:20 pm »

I've heard here and there about how some people like to create their own divination systems...as in, creating their own little symbols/sigils and assigning meaning to them.

Has anyone here done this? What kind of imagery did you use? What kind of layout did you come up with? How did you come up with the significance of each image/piece?

With a sigil you can take a word that represents the meaning behind your divinitory workings and draw it in a way that you can't right away see what the word is, but your subconcious will see it and interpret it even if you don't right away. I couldn't find a good link for an example of this, but someone else might be able to  Huh

Or you can just draw a symbol that means something to you and is relevent in the magick or divination that you are working.

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 03, 2007, 10:59:09 pm »

When I was in high school I created a set of reading stones- it was an art conservatory school and I was in a sculpture class. It really just started out with me, ahem, 'borrowing' tools and taking scraps and flakes of stones home to practice new cuts and stuff on for bigger projects. Then over the year I started keeping certain flakes that just reminded me of concepts and things. By the end of the year I had a little bag and a set of about um, 4-5 stones I think- a misty triangle I called the sky (basic air-related things), the shield (for protection issues), a pointer, the four-way stone (depending on the position it fell into it meant four different things)...gah can't remember the last one.

It worked fairly well. I'd shake the bag, dump them out and read them according to the position they fell in.

Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 10, 2007, 07:09:28 pm »

I started out by deciding on the concepts I felt were important to a system of divination.  I created a symbol for each concept, they look a bit like a cross between runes and hieroglyphs.  Then I divided them into groups based on specific categories (Overarching/spiritual/everyday), and carved them on stones that I threw down.  Some stones affected the way others were read by showing me whether they were the "positive" or "negative" of the particular concept.  Then I made multiple copies of each symbol, divided them into suits, and put them on cards.  Now I have a deck of cards and am experimenting with different layouts.

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)