The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 24, 2020, 07:08:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 07:08:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Earth vs Nature  (Read 24335 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: June 06, 2007, 08:29:35 am »

Oh, that is just crap!  I have been doing blood magick for 35 years and most of the time it was LIFE affirming!  ::walks away muttering under breath::

It can't be life affirming because the fluffies don't like it. This type of stuiff reminds me the the reviews Buckland's Big Blue was getting on Amazon a few years ago. Not complaints about bad history or tone but people up in arms over the two or three pages on the Great Rite and sex magick.

Actually, I suspect one of the main reasons blood magic gets this reaction is the main reason I saw giving for the problems with the Great Rite/sex magick info in Big Blue -- such things need to be purged "Wicca/Paganism" because they upset the Fundies and other moral conservatives in the US.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 06, 2007, 10:05:30 am »

Oh, that is just crap!  

Could not have said it better myself! 

Actually, I suspect one of the main reasons blood magic gets this reaction is the main reason I saw giving for the problems with the Great Rite/sex magick info in Big Blue -- such things need to be purged "Wicca/Paganism" because they upset the Fundies and other moral conservatives in the US.

Seriously, some people really need to get lives... and backbones.   Are they really worried about offending this group, the vast majority of which have as their primary religious symbol is an instrument of torture and death (yes, yes, I know most Christians don't view it quite this way!)?  If someone is that worried about upsetting the Fundies, maybe they should join them and not try to dictate to the rest of us how to practice.  Tongue

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 06, 2007, 03:26:49 pm »

But why not?  If Brighid can be as...ummmm...*present* in the US as she is in Ireland, who's to say she can't be in Andromeda too?

Granted, the lizard people might have another name for her (something with a lot of "s"s in it?), but that doesn't mean it's not Brighid or that she doesn't have power there.

True. I guess she could be present in a galaxy far, far away. That's sort of getting into the hard vs. soft polytheism question.

Betty  Smiley
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 06, 2007, 03:58:45 pm »

Not to mention that cities themselves are home to countless plants and animals ... they're just not usually the cute or majestic types. Pidgeons, rats, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, crows, squirrels, mice, roaches, hornets ... I forget which city it is where peregrine falcons nest on the window ledges, but they're there too. I think the thing that bugs me most about people who talk the "earth-based" line is the implication that human activity is somehow unnatural. I'm always tempted to say something like, "so why are you still wearing clothes?"

Several do, I believe. Winnipeg has about four mating couples in the surrounding area, one of which was in an old (but not vacated) building of the city.

</slightly offtopic>

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: June 06, 2007, 05:51:21 pm »

Are they really worried about offending this group...

Yes, I think they are. From those I've spoken with over the years, they honestly believe that if they get rid of all the "objectionable" parts of Wicca, the fundies will just leave them alone. All I've discussed this with have really been into "go along to get along" type behavior in general.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 06, 2007, 07:44:51 pm »

I suspect you're right. There is an attitude of *oh lets not give them anything else to get worked up about*. Which while is sort of understandable is misguided. It isn't just ritual sex that's worrying the moral conservatives. It's pretty much everything about Paganism that bothers them. The only way you can explain a pagan path to a Fundie where they'll be okay with it is to water it down to meaninglessness.

I can't speak for all Wiccans or Pagans(and wouldn't even try), but quite a lot I know embrace some kind of cycles of life philosophy- which includes a great many things like sex, sacrifice, birth, death, eating, breathing, etc. Some parts of life are happy like bunnies and rainbows and some parts are painful like heartbreak and poverty. If you want to just embrace the happy things, fine - no skin off my nose. But that's not for me. I have a problem with saying you embrace the cycles of life but only the nice ones. It kind of reminds me of a quote from a movie "A life lived in fear is a life half lived." I kind of wildly apply that to everything.

Melanie
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: June 06, 2007, 08:30:13 pm »

True. I guess she could be present in a galaxy far, far away. That's sort of getting into the hard vs. soft polytheism question.

I don't think it's really a hard vs. soft polytheism question.  I think an individual god (Brighid, f'ex) could be known by different names in different places, and still be the same individual.  (We were having this conversation in the Polytheism and Similar Deities thread.)  And I think that's still hard polytheism.

Where it becomes soft polytheism, I think, is if we say that the Irish Brighid, the American Brighid, and the Lizard Brighid are three (of many) *aspects* of the One Goddess.

I think...

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 06, 2007, 09:05:13 pm »

Not to mention that cities themselves are home to countless plants and animals ... I forget which city it is where peregrine falcons nest on the window ledges, but they're there too.

This is right across the river from where I work, I drive past the building on my way home every day:  http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/

Momma and Daddy peregrine falcon had five eggs which hatched four babies.  Ha, 'babies'.  Babies are bigger than their parents right now.  Still fluffy with the down, but oh so cute.  Momma and Daddy are always dropping off dead birds for babies to eat.  They should be starting to learn to fly probably as soon as early next week.  The organization that watches over them is going to have shifts of people watching the city streets of Harrisburg starting Monday, for babies that are trying to fly but just dont "get it" right away, so that they dont get run over by a bus or something.

Sorry for interrupting the thread, but these baby falcons are just so darn CUTE!!!  Especially the little runt male, you should have seen that tiny thing fight for scraps.  You just want to snatch him up and snorgle his belly, he's so cute.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 07, 2007, 12:03:44 am »

Sorry for interrupting the thread, but these baby falcons are just so darn CUTE!!!  Especially the little runt male, you should have seen that tiny thing fight for scraps.  You just want to snatch him up and snorgle his belly, he's so cute.

Yeah, they are pretty cute. I saw a hawk flying around the bus stop a few days ago, and this seagull kept going after him. My boyfriend actually has a hawk in their backyard who comes by quite frequently. Maybe its all the rabbits around. I told him that if the hawk ever left any feathers, that I'd want them.

</offtopicness, again>

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 07, 2007, 02:16:42 am »

This is right across the river from where I work, I drive past the building on my way home every day

They're everywhere hereabouts.  They're like a plague!!!  Wink

Brina
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: June 07, 2007, 03:53:38 am »

Yes, I think they are. From those I've spoken with over the years, they honestly believe that if they get rid of all the "objectionable" parts of Wicca, the fundies will just leave them alone. All I've discussed this with have really been into "go along to get along" type behavior in general.

Well, that is just a load of horsecrap.  I'm not about to strip my spiritualty to suit someone and even less likely to do it just to be 'safe'.  PC or not, it is what it is.

Elspeth Sapphire
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 07, 2007, 04:11:40 am »

I have a problem with saying you embrace the cycles of life but only the nice ones. 

I have the exact same feeling about it, and coined the term Paia Pagans to describe people who do that (lived in Maui for 8 years, and Paia town had very much that feel of "let's embrace life but only if it's not yucky").

It kind of reminds me of a quote from a movie "A life lived in fear is a life half lived." I kind of wildly apply that to everything.

That quote is awesome. Do you remember what movie it's from?

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: June 07, 2007, 01:21:37 pm »

True Fundies and Wiccans (insert name of any Pagan group here) will never get along, IMHO. It's not just the blood thing. Christianity is full of blood-the blood of Christ, the blood of Christians, the blood of the Pagans and others that Christians killed. The real reason why Pagans and Fundies will never get along is the dichotomy of polytheism vs monotheism. Fundies of any religion are not averse to shedding blood when it suits them to...

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"
MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: June 07, 2007, 02:32:02 pm »

That quote is awesome. Do you remember what movie it's from?

Yeah, it's from Strictly Ballroom directed by Baz Luhrmann.

Melanie
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 07, 2007, 07:17:04 pm »

Yeah, it's from Strictly Ballroom directed by Baz Luhrmann.

I can't believe I didn't remember that, as The Red Curtain Trilogy is one of my faves. Thanks. I'll have to watch SB again.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)