The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 31, 2020, 09:06:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2020, 09:06:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Earth vs Nature  (Read 18801 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #45: June 08, 2007, 07:21:04 am »

Perhaps they think the only way to get blood is for someone's brain to explode. Scanners anyone?
ROFLMAO!  That deserves some kind of prize!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: June 08, 2007, 07:43:24 am »

Yes, I think they are. From those I've spoken with over the years, they honestly believe that if they get rid of all the "objectionable" parts of Wicca, the fundies will just leave them alone. All I've discussed this with have really been into "go along to get along" type behavior in general.
This is why I have such a bad reaction when the subject of congregations come up - my personal experience has been that "looking like a normal religion so we'll be acceptable" is a significant reason for 90% or more of the folks who yearn for a congregation/clergy model (and that there's a huge correlation between the "congregations look normal" contingent, and those who have hairy hysterical conniptions over blood magic, sex magic, the Great Rite, ritual nudity, skulls on altars, scourges, etc).

I know, from the thread on clergy, that it's not true of everyone, but I have a rubbed-raw spot regarding anything in that range of subject matter.

My religion, by mainstream standards, IS WEIRD.  That's because, by mainstream standards, I am weird.  Speaking of movie quotes, "One day I woke up and realized I was never going to be normal.  And I said, SO BE IT!"

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: June 08, 2007, 07:58:41 am »

Sorry for interrupting the thread, but these baby falcons are just so darn CUTE!!!
I don't think it's so off-topic.  It's a beautiful illustration of how one can be both "nature-based" and urban-Pagan-to-the-marrow.  Or, not nature-based, but deeply appreciative of such things.  Peregrine falcons on the skyscrapers and coyotes checking out inner-city-residential garbage cans ("I'm in ur citiez, eating ur miniature poodlez!") can be spiritually meaningful without necessarily making one either nature-based, or not nature-based.

(Uh-oh.  Coyote wants me to go play with the GIMP.  Yes, Dogface, but not right now.  If I get the desired result, I'll let TC know.)

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #48: June 08, 2007, 08:01:59 am »

Well, that is just a load of horsecrap.  I'm not about to strip my spiritualty to suit someone and even less likely to do it just to be 'safe'.  PC or not, it is what it is.
<insert a whole row of nodding emoticons here>

This is why I was so pleased to have a chance to get to know you.  What I'd heard suggested we'd be on the same page about things like this.

Sunflower

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: June 08, 2007, 08:32:40 am »

(and that there's a huge correlation between the "congregations look normal" contingent, and those who have hairy hysterical conniptions over blood magic, sex magic, the Great Rite, ritual nudity, skulls on altars, scourges, etc).

I haven't noticed this -- but it has never been a correlation I've looked for either.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #50: June 08, 2007, 01:41:58 pm »

I haven't noticed this -- but it has never been a correlation I've looked for either.
I have no idea if it's actually common, or if it's uncommon but I have uncommonly bad luck in crossing paths with it often.

Sunflower

MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 08, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »

This is why I have such a bad reaction when the subject of congregations come up - my personal experience has been that "looking like a normal religion so we'll be acceptable" is a significant reason for 90% or more of the folks who yearn for a congregation/clergy model (and that there's a huge correlation between the "congregations look normal" contingent, and those who have hairy hysterical conniptions over blood magic, sex magic, the Great Rite, ritual nudity, skulls on altars, scourges, etc).

Are you saying that there's a correlation between people who want a congregation/clergy model as in what the Christian Churches have with buildings and chairs and once a week someone gets up and leads the flock in songs and delivers a sermon type of thing. Along with things like the Wiccan Home for Unwed Mothers and Wiccan Charity Bingo? As opposed to just people who seek standard covens or groves? If that's what you're talking about I'm definitely with you. These are also the people who want to unite everyone - join everyone together under a set of 57 principles of Goddess love.   

My religion, by mainstream standards, IS WEIRD.  That's because, by mainstream standards, I am weird. 

Yep - Couldn't agree more. Er... that came out wrong, I can't figure out a way to agree without it sounding like I'm calling you weird. What I mean is, to the "mainstream" almost all of us on this board have religions that are weird. Saying "I don't use blood or have any skulls" really doesn't make it any better. I used to live in the south and not having a Jesus fish on your car was weird.

I honestly don't know why people care so much about pleasing these people. I'm not one of these people that goes around saying "I don't care what anyone else thinks". I actually do care what a lot of people think. But I recognize that I'm not going to change anyone's mind on this and I've got no interest in changing my religion and editing certain parts out just so it's more palatable to those outside the religion.   

Melanie
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: June 08, 2007, 03:20:55 pm »

I honestly don't know why people care so much about pleasing these people. I'm not one of these people that goes around saying "I don't care what anyone else thinks". I actually do care what a lot of people think. But I recognize that I'm not going to change anyone's mind on this and I've got no interest in changing my religion and editing certain parts out just so it's more palatable to those outside the religion.

Something that gets routinely forgotten, I think, is that actually LIVING a Christian life (as opposed to slapping on the trappings and living for the money) is weird.  It's uncommon.  It's looked at a little sideways.

Of COURSE it's weird to be a fully-believing, fully-practicing member of a religion.  What religion it actually IS isn't going to matter as much to the weird-scale as the fact that you truly believe and practice!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #53: June 08, 2007, 04:23:02 pm »

Something that gets routinely forgotten, I think, is that actually LIVING a Christian life (as opposed to slapping on the trappings and living for the money) is weird.  It's uncommon.  It's looked at a little sideways.

I once completely torpedoed a pity-poor-us-the-persecuted-pagans, we're-so-horribly-outnumbered-by-those-Chriiiiistians discussion that pointed out that yeah, I was raised Christian -- secular Christian.  We celebrated Bunny Candy Day and Santa Brings Pressies and had a little bit of cultural Christianity stuff thrown in around the edges, and that's it.  And that's my normal expectation of Christianity, or indeed any religion; that it's this secularised default in which personal piety, if it exists, is held very, very private.

And the concept that people who mark down "Christian" on census forms or in polls and who aren't devoutly intent on some version of the holy book just blew too many minds there.  This crowd was quite happy to talk about secular Jews and secular pagans, people with a particular set of cultural practices or beliefs that didn't translate into religious devotion, but All The Christians Were Bible-Thumping Lunatics And So Their Numbers Were A Personal Threat.

It was a really weird conversation.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #54: June 08, 2007, 05:21:31 pm »

Are you saying that there's a correlation between people who want a congregation/clergy model as in what the Christian Churches have with buildings and chairs and once a week someone gets up and leads the flock in songs and delivers a sermon type of thing. Along with things like the Wiccan Home for Unwed Mothers and Wiccan Charity Bingo? As opposed to just people who seek standard covens or groves? If that's what you're talking about I'm definitely with you. These are also the people who want to unite everyone - join everyone together under a set of 57 principles of Goddess love.
Sorta.  I have to break this down a bit; there are contexts in which the congregational model is quite functional, and folks whose desire for them is both reasonable and reasoned (see the What Is Clergy? thread).

My only issues with the congregational model in a broader Pagan sense are 1) those who are fluffy about what "Pagan" means, 2) those who want it because it's more "normal", and 3) those who assume that because I'm a priestess, I must be qualified for, Called to, and aspire to minister to a congregation.  If they're like-minded enough to be a congregation, and the model is effective for their philosophy, and they're not mistaking me for a priestess of their persuasion, I wish them well.  If they're not, the only one that's really my business is #3 (except that I get agitated by Stupid People Tricks, so I'm likely to react to #1 and #2).

Where I get rant-inclined is when it comes up in context of Eclectic Wicca/religious Witchcraft (I can't speak for BTWiccans, but there are some commonalities).  What I have to say on this is lengthy, Wiccacentric, and very blunt, particularly if I'm talking about the intersection with sex/blood/death squeamishness (the correlation I was referring to); if you want to hear it, I think it'd be better to take it to PMs.  The short form is, yeah, I'm talking about people who identify as Wiccans or Witches, but who want congregations instead of covens.

Yep - Couldn't agree more. Er... that came out wrong, I can't figure out a way to agree without it sounding like I'm calling you weird.
I took you to mean that you were associating yourself with my weirdness.  Turning the "I's" into "we's".

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #55: June 08, 2007, 05:52:06 pm »

We celebrated Bunny Candy Day and Santa Brings Pressies and had a little bit of cultural Christianity stuff thrown in around the edges, and that's it.  And that's my normal expectation of Christianity, or indeed any religion; that it's this secularised default in which personal piety, if it exists, is held very, very private.
Whereas I was raised in a very liberal denomination of Christianity, one that valued individual development of personal faith, and in an urban congregation at that; my expectation of normality is that personal piety is common and not necessarily concealed (but often quiet, and it's very rude to flaunt it), but is very individual - most people are believers of some kind or another, but how society functions is secular (it has to be, because there are so many different flavors of belief, not just denominations but individuals).  Since that very liberal denomination was also the largest Protestant denomination in Canada (it may still be, but a lot of people/congregations split when they brought in gay ordination almost 20 years back), my expectation was a fairly functional model for interacting with urban Canadian society.

I'm glad you expressed it the way you did, Darkhawk; Shadow's description was very much at odds with my experience, but I couldn't figure out how to put it into words.  Our expectations are very much shaped, often in ways we're not even conscious of, by our upbringing (which itself is a complex mix of family, denomination-if-any, local circumstances, broader culture, and umpteen other things); mileage varies drastically.

It was a really weird conversation.
Persecuted Pagan Pity Parties are really weird parties.

Sunflower

Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #56: June 08, 2007, 07:08:21 pm »

<insert a whole row of nodding emoticons here>

This is why I was so pleased to have a chance to get to know you.  What I'd heard suggested we'd be on the same page about things like this.

Sunflower

::laugh::

You should have seen me in the day when I was roaming bitch of The Cauldron ....

Elspeth Sapphire
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #57: June 09, 2007, 07:08:43 pm »

You should have seen me in the day when I was roaming bitch of The Cauldron ....
I wish I had.  Someday when I have lots of time and nothing more pressing to do with it (not a common occurrence), I oughta go archive-surfing and experience it a bit more directly.

I find outspoken opinionated people more comfortable to deal with than people who are neither, which makes me quite freakish (not to mention difficult, since I'm outspoken and opinionated myself) most places.  But not here, thank the gods.

Sunflower

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: June 09, 2007, 07:55:52 pm »

I find outspoken opinionated people more comfortable to deal with than people who are neither, which makes me quite freakish (not to mention difficult, since I'm outspoken and opinionated myself) most places.

So I probably make your skin crawl. Wink

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #59: June 10, 2007, 06:54:33 pm »

So I probably make your skin crawl. Wink
Only in a good way, so far!  Kiss

Around here, you're forthright enough.  I have gathered, from various things you've said, that you're pretty quiet in person, but as long as you're not one of those folks who won't talk about what they think, even when asked, for fear it'll be offensive, my skin is safe.  Quiet I can handle - I'd better, 'cause I have a taste for geeky types, who are often introverted.

Sunflower

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)