The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 04:55:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 04:55:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Earth vs Nature  (Read 19214 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: June 10, 2007, 07:00:45 pm »

So I probably make your skin crawl. Wink
Oh, wait.  I think I was misunderstood:  by "freakish"I meant that, because I like outspoken folks, I'm a freak, not that anything freaks me out.  I don't think this affects the content of the conversation much, though, just changes the angle of the lighting a bit.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: June 10, 2007, 07:26:26 pm »

Quiet I can handle - I'd better, 'cause I have a taste for geeky types, who are often introverted.

Sunflower

Well, I'm a horse geek. Grin

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #62: June 10, 2007, 11:55:19 pm »

Well, I'm a horse geek. Grin
Gee!  Really?  I'd never have guessed! <remove tongue from cheek>

The geek LJ community says: "A starting definition of geek might be someone that has a heightened intrest in some topic with a stronger then normal technical intrest," so I'd say it's quite accurate to describe your equucentric self as a horse geek.  (Not to mention that you register on my Geek Sensor, which is usually pretty reliable.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: June 11, 2007, 06:54:17 am »

Gee!  Really?  I'd never have guessed! <remove tongue from cheek>

The geek LJ community says: "A starting definition of geek might be someone that has a heightened intrest in some topic with a stronger then normal technical intrest," so I'd say it's quite accurate to describe your equucentric self as a horse geek.  (Not to mention that you register on my Geek Sensor, which is usually pretty reliable.)

Sunflower

Grin

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #64: June 12, 2007, 06:58:26 pm »

It can't be life affirming because the fluffies don't like it. This type of stuiff reminds me the the reviews Buckland's Big Blue was getting on Amazon a few years ago. Not complaints about bad history or tone but people up in arms over the two or three pages on the Great Rite and sex magick.

Actually, I suspect one of the main reasons blood magic gets this reaction is the main reason I saw giving for the problems with the Great Rite/sex magick info in Big Blue -- such things need to be purged "Wicca/Paganism" because they upset the Fundies and other moral conservatives in the US.

*Slides in late - again* - and I know this has been said but...
I was backtracking the thread ( prime example of why quoting is compulsory Smiley ) since anything that makes sunflower and elspeth go 'that's crap' has to be worth reading - and I got to the blood and was wondering when the sex would show up lol

And of course all the 'icky' parts have to be removed to keep it all nice and bright and light... after all, life is nice and light and bright and without icky parts, isn't it? Wink

*sneaks away again hastily*

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #65: June 12, 2007, 10:54:58 pm »

...after all, life is nice and light and bright and without icky parts, isn't it? Wink

If only life were. Grin

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #66: June 13, 2007, 11:21:50 am »

If only life were. Grin

Part of me wants to agree.... and part of me can't do it because that part is just too glad life isn't like that lol
Long long story :p

Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: August 14, 2007, 03:00:15 am »

Some folks use the terms such "earth-based" and "Nature-based" interchangably, with no distinction between the two (also applies to earth religion/nature religion, earth worship/nature worship, etc).  To me, these are two very different things.

So let me throw out a few questions, feel free to answer as many or few as you like:
  • In your mind, is there a difference between the terms? 
  • How do you distinguish between the two? 
  • Can you truly have one without the other?
  • If you self-define as earth or nature based, what's your basis for choosing one term over the other?  Did it come already defined by your particular tradition or was it a term you picked for yourself?
  • If you don't self-define as earth or nature based, what assumptions, if any, do you make when you see these terms?

keeping to the original topic of this thread, here is my response. (A lot of this has been taken from Tao Te Ching, just so you know!)

Nature is everything, and yet not like anything.
Nature is the tree, the root that cuts into cement to find its own,
the concrete structures that so cruelly mock the skies,
it is the eternel essence of the universe, and also the mortal being of your soul.
All that you see, hear, touch, smell and feel is a part of nature, and its many creations.

The earth is our home, a ball of dirt we live on, wherever it may be.
It is a part of nature as are we, and we use it to live off of it, as it uses us to live;
as the many trees and animals were to use us to survive.

The earth is a part of nature and its many creations, but we live off the earth. If not for the earth we would not be, to see nature and ponder about it;
Does the tree that falls in the lonesome woods really make a noise, if there is no one to hear it? Would there be nature were it not for the earth with intelligent life? There would be, but nature creates and it would sooner or later create another planet with beings such as this, you might as well call that earth too. Would there be earth were it not for nature's creative powers? The answer is yes, but given a planet such as this sooner or later something will be accidentally made, alas nature was always there, for it was she who made it.

-Tj

P.S: Sorry its a little bit weird, but ummm hope it makes some sense, to someone. Its not flowing as well as it should, please excuse that, as I AM a reasonably bad poet, but I try. Comments are welcome, necessary and appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:03:48 am by Tj, Reason: small typo, corrected! » Logged

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: August 14, 2007, 02:20:14 pm »

Some folks use the terms such "earth-based" and "Nature-based" interchangably, with no distinction between the two (also applies to earth religion/nature religion, earth worship/nature worship, etc).  To me, these are two very different things.

For me, (and thinking of the Differences made my brain hurt!) My path is one I don't ask anyone else to follow, or even understand.

It is firmly Earth-Based, and Nature affirming, with no Pantheon other than the Earth Sun and Moon, (I explained more about it in the Mixing Pantheons Thread). I don't use specific Gods or Goddesses, or any other deity which is packaged in humanoid form, because it just doesn't work for me.

I honour the Spirits of the animals which give their lives for my food, also the vegetables I grow and eat, but I have no problem using blood in my rituals, always from a finger, as I am past the menstral years.

Looking back at this before I post it I can see shamanistic overtones.

Oh Bum, I seem to have screwed up the quote thingy again!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 02:26:00 pm by HeartShadow - Genevieve Wood, Reason: fixing quote » Logged

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)