The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 12:00:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 12:00:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magic exercise suggestions?  (Read 3412 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 14, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »

Hi! It's been a long time since I've posted much (got distracted by graduating from high school ^_^) but I'm back to working on my magic and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for exercises for controlling magic/energy and keeping consciousness altered. I have done a few impromtu spells recently and have encountered problems with this. I ground and find it very easy to slip into an altered consciousness. One moment I'm thinking normally and then there's a definite shift. But because it's so easy, I have trouble staying there. I constantly feel that I'm about to slip out and so end up rushing my spell work.

The other problem is that I can summon the energy/magic and push it into my hands, but sometimes it gets "stuck" there and I can't push it out of my hands into what ever object I'm working with. I feel this problem using a wand or even just using my hand. I haven't tried with an athame yet. Could this be because I just need more practice, or would a change of tool help with this?

I am not a very visual person, so visualization exercises aren't always effective for me. I tend to focus on the magic as sensation and heat traveling through me instead of light. When I first started I always tried to visualize it as light, but I always lost the light to sensation. So if you have any exercises that involve sensation, I would especially like to hear those, but any exercise would be helpful.

Thanks!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Abgeneth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:39:02 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: (British Traditional) Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 15, 2010, 03:53:46 am »

Hi! It's been a long time since I've posted much (got distracted by graduating from high school ^_^) but I'm back to working on my magic and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for exercises for controlling magic/energy and keeping consciousness altered. I have done a few impromtu spells recently and have encountered problems with this. I ground and find it very easy to slip into an altered consciousness. One moment I'm thinking normally and then there's a definite shift. But because it's so easy, I have trouble staying there. I constantly feel that I'm about to slip out and so end up rushing my spell work.

The other problem is that I can summon the energy/magic and push it into my hands, but sometimes it gets "stuck" there and I can't push it out of my hands into what ever object I'm working with. I feel this problem using a wand or even just using my hand. I haven't tried with an athame yet. Could this be because I just need more practice, or would a change of tool help with this?

I am not a very visual person, so visualization exercises aren't always effective for me. I tend to focus on the magic as sensation and heat traveling through me instead of light. When I first started I always tried to visualize it as light, but I always lost the light to sensation. So if you have any exercises that involve sensation, I would especially like to hear those, but any exercise would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sounds familiar. After a break of a few months, which isn't always possible to avoid, I find it difficult to get my magic flowing too.

The first I do in this situation is creating a magical atmosphere, not only when I intend to cast a spell or something like that, but every evening. This means cleaning and redecorating my altar so that it corresponds with my actual goals and feelings, lighting the candles there, burning incense and meditating a bit or reading craft literature. This helps to get me back in tune so that more practical things just work better, because I am not half here and half there, so to speak.

I also like to do an exercise that originates from Tai Chi. First rub your hands together vigorously until they become warm, then slowly move them apart and feel the warmth and tension flowing between them. Then you could summon the energy and let it flow: out of one hand, into the other, like water flowing in a circle, and so on. I am sure you have a lot of ideas for variations Smiley

Perhaps this will help you a bit!
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: August 15, 2010, 08:10:30 am »

I found myself getting sloppy about the way I perfom spells, try communication, do ritual.
Which makes things ineffective of course.

Don't know if this helps you, but I decided to do things a bit more formal again.
Can't even remember when it was the last time I casted a complete circle with all the frills.

As for exercises, focus-training and energy-flow, would be best I guess.
Try to run the energy through your body and then back, till it flows easily - then I'd try to charge stuff.

Hope you'll find a way to reconnect to your magic soon. Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am
United States United States

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 15, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »

Thanks!

I find it fascinating when I read of people like you who feel energies in a sensation way, because I'm quite the opposite, I'm extremely visual. 
As far as your first problem of slipping out of the state of altered consciousness, I'd like to suggest something that's perhaps in between sensation and visualization, which has to do with your experience of being in a sacred or magical environment when you do magic.  I find that my ability to stay in altered consciousness is supported by environmental elements.  Maybe you could spend some time thinking about what for you makes a magical or sacred environment (sound, smells, sights, sensations) and try to add things to your area of magical working to create an environment that will support you staying in your altered state of consciousness. 

Since you're sensation-based, pErhaps there is some object, for instance, that when you touch it, feels "magical" to you, or seems to support magical energy in your body.  I would try to find such an object, and consecrate it and dedicate it to this purpose only, so that your learned physical experience gets "linked" with the object and its sensations or textures, as something that supports your magical work.  YOu might spend a day or a week going about the house and yard or other places, trying to direct your hands and body to "feel" and find such an object. 

OF course, you do take in the world through your eyes, and even if you aren't good at inner visualization, you may find that there are some objects that when you look at them with your mundane eyes, do also support a magical feeling.  PErhaps a picture of someone or something, or some natural object. 

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 18, 2010, 03:23:58 pm »

I also like to do an exercise that originates from Tai Chi. First rub your hands together vigorously until they become warm, then slowly move them apart and feel the warmth and tension flowing between them. Then you could summon the energy and let it flow: out of one hand, into the other, like water flowing in a circle, and so on. I am sure you have a lot of ideas for variations Smiley

I've had some really good results with exercise, thanks! And I definitely haven't paid as much attention to atmosphere as I should, so that should also help, so thanks to everyone that suggested that.

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 18, 2010, 03:29:51 pm »

Since you're sensation-based, pErhaps there is some object, for instance, that when you touch it, feels "magical" to you, or seems to support magical energy in your body.  I would try to find such an object, and consecrate it and dedicate it to this purpose only, so that your learned physical experience gets "linked" with the object and its sensations or textures, as something that supports your magical work.  YOu might spend a day or a week going about the house and yard or other places, trying to direct your hands and body to "feel" and find such an object. 

OF course, you do take in the world through your eyes, and even if you aren't good at inner visualization, you may find that there are some objects that when you look at them with your mundane eyes, do also support a magical feeling.  PErhaps a picture of someone or something, or some natural object. 

Those are also really good ideas. You're definitely right; I need something special that I can associate with magic that is portable (and so I'll be able to take it to France with me this year). And while I don't find visualization very useful, there are images that inspire magical feelings for me, so I'll try to collect more of those. Thank you!

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 18, 2010, 03:42:44 pm »

Those are also really good ideas. You're definitely right; I need something special that I can associate with magic that is portable (and so I'll be able to take it to France with me this year). And while I don't find visualization very useful, there are images that inspire magical feelings for me, so I'll try to collect more of those. Thank you!

One thought that's sensation based - one thing I did when starting out was to be very attentive to how I had my (long) hair when I was about to do ritual. Normally, I wear it up/braided/something other than loose, as otherwise it catches on everything, but for ritual, I'd wear it down. You can get the same basic principle with anything that will feel different to you - a braid at the side of your face, a piece of jewelry (heavy enough to be noticeable: very light-weight stuff doesn't work as well for this purpose), putting on a light shawl, whatever.

The other is to look into physical positions as a way to trigger your mind to go "Ok, working on X now." Again, not always suitable for all purposes, but can be really helpful, even if you start by doing whatever, and then move into other positions depending on what you need to be doing.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.