The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 12:57:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 12:57:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: We're Officially Potty Training!  (Read 12149 times)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 23, 2010, 07:05:36 pm »

They had a long discussion about how going to the bathroom in the toilet was a good thing. I think he's at least getting the concept.

Are you modeling the correct behavior?  My kid figured out the whole potty thing in no time because I made a big deal out of going to the bathroom myself.  Did I look ridiculous?  You betcha.  But giving myself a cookie or a half-hour of television every time I went boom-boom (and washed my hands) was very inspirational for my kid.  Wink

Brina

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 24, 2010, 07:03:56 am »

Are you modeling the correct behavior?  My kid figured out the whole potty thing in no time because I made a big deal out of going to the bathroom myself.  Did I look ridiculous?  You betcha.  But giving myself a cookie or a half-hour of television every time I went boom-boom (and washed my hands) was very inspirational for my kid.  Wink

Brina

No. Hm...

We've been praising the pee right outta him, though. "You are such a good boy! You're well on your way to being a big boy! We're so proud of you!" Etc. I'll start praising myself for going potty, though.  Smiley

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 27, 2010, 07:52:35 am »

Brina

I do this too My kids are 2 1/2 also and they always ask to go potty if I make a big deal about going myself. It can be a little uncomfortable having two two year olds watching you go to the bathroom and continuously asking for details, but it really does do the trick. Wink
Good Luck!

Mindy

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 27, 2010, 07:54:33 am »

Good Luck!

Mindy

Also I have a potty chart for them so they get a sticker each time the successfully go in the potty. sparkly stickers go along way with a 2 year old! lol.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 27, 2010, 10:09:34 am »

No. Hm...

We've been praising the pee right outta him, though. "You are such a good boy! You're well on your way to being a big boy! We're so proud of you!" Etc. I'll start praising myself for going potty, though.  Smiley

What worked with my boys was telling them that their potty needed to go visit grammas potty, and granpas potty and their friends potty and the way it got to the potty party was by putting it in the toilet (its car!) and flushing it 'down down down' (complete with singing) so it could go to the potty party.  If it doesn't get in the potty then it misses the party.

Then we would have a potty party.  Essentially we would clap and go yaaaaay and oh boy oh boy for about three minutes.  We also involved m&m's but that worked for literally one day because mom ate them all.

With Roo, we've got the ground work in place. She's ms clingy girl, so she's always come along with me and we sing the potty song... pee pee pee - wipe wipe wipe - flush flush flush - wash wash wash DONE and LIGHTS OFF!  but we have to get her her own potty.  She's terrified of the big potty - with reason.  She's a tiny thing compared to what the boys were at the same age.  No matter the direction or the angle, she lacks the size to find a safe way to sit so we have to wait till either we can afford a potty chair for her, till grandma buys one, or till she grows.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
ladydelina
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:17:07 pm

Religion: Wiccan Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 24, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »

I wish everyone better luck than we have had.

My oldest is 5, and still in pull ups.  We've spent the last few years in and out of pull ups/diapers/undies.  We've fought, punished, ignored, conjoled, and finally gave up.  We realized that the reason he's probably still in them is because he has two little sibs (2.5 and 11 months), and this is his way of getting that attention.  So we now have him change his own pull ups (that seems to be working btw).  But he starts school in September so wish us luck.

Thank the Gods we are cloth diapering the other two or we'd be broke from buying pull ups (still haven't found any reusable pull up solution that doesn't leak at night, he can't pull up and down the cloth covers and the ones he can pull up and down leak badly.)

We're going to try a potty party again, that's where you throw a hgue celebration that says he's out of pull ups.  But we've tried similiar before and he went right back to pull ups after a few days.
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 24, 2011, 02:51:01 pm »

My oldest is 5, and still in pull ups. 

We're going to try a potty party again, that's where you throw a hgue celebration that says he's out of pull ups.  But we've tried similiar before and he went right back to pull ups after a few days.

My eldest is soon 10. We keep an extra sheet on his bed, and this year we and the nurse finally bit the bullet and got him a night alarm. He was 5 the first time he had a complete day dry. Thanks to other problems (we are in the process of getting him diagnosed - probably ADD and Aspergers) he simply didn't care enough to put in an effort, and so any effort on our part would fail.

Some children mature more slowly than others, and if the childrearing books say otherwise, flush them down instead. The kid will be ready when he is ready.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: January 24, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »

Hi, ladydelina,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 24, 2011, 11:03:40 pm »

My eldest is soon 10. We keep an extra sheet on his bed, and this year we and the nurse finally bit the bullet and got him a night alarm. He was 5 the first time he had a complete day dry. Thanks to other problems (we are in the process of getting him diagnosed - probably ADD and Aspergers) he simply didn't care enough to put in an effort, and so any effort on our part would fail.

Some children mature more slowly than others, and if the childrearing books say otherwise, flush them down instead. The kid will be ready when he is ready.

A co-worker of mine had similar issues with her eldest child. She would set an alarm, get up at about eleven/midnight, get him up to go the bathroom, and then go back to bed. She did this for three years straight and he stopped having accidents.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
stardancer
Master Member
Norway Norway

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 25, 2011, 02:58:14 am »

A co-worker of mine had similar issues with her eldest child. She would set an alarm, get up at about eleven/midnight, get him up to go the bathroom, and then go back to bed. She did this for three years straight and he stopped having accidents.

The night alarm we have reacts to moisture, so it goes off when he is (about to) having an accident. This teaches him, in Pavlov's dogs fashion, to wake up himself when he needs to go. He's actually woken before the alarm sounds twice now, so I'm crossing my fingers that he's finally getting there.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 25, 2011, 09:38:08 am »

The night alarm we have reacts to moisture, so it goes off when he is (about to) having an accident. This teaches him, in Pavlov's dogs fashion, to wake up himself when he needs to go. He's actually woken before the alarm sounds twice now, so I'm crossing my fingers that he's finally getting there.

Where did you find that alarm?

stardancer
Master Member
Norway Norway

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 25, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »

Where did you find that alarm?

Our local health station/doctors' office rents them out. There was a short waiting list, but it was manageable and he was put on urine-repressing medication in the meantime.

clearstar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:09:04 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 02, 2011, 01:41:07 am »

My oldest is 5, and still in pull ups.  We've spent the last few years in and out of pull ups/diapers/undies.  We've fought, punished, ignored, conjoled, and finally gave up.  We realized that the reason he's probably still in them is because he has two little sibs (2.5 and 11 months), and this is his way of getting that attention.  So we now have him change his own pull ups (that seems to be working btw).  But he starts school in September so wish us luck.

Thank the Gods we are cloth diapering the other two or we'd be broke from buying pull ups (still haven't found any reusable pull up solution that doesn't leak at night, he can't pull up and down the cloth covers and the ones he can pull up and down leak badly.)

My cousin was four when I finally potty trained him. There is massive back story to this but the tdrl is that my aunt and uncle work Mon-Fri. While my aunt comes home at 11pm my uncle doesn't come home until Friday night and is gone Sunday night. The people that were looking after him didn't want to potty train him so when my aunt and uncle tried it failed. I ended up looking after him for a year and pretty much asked him how he would feel if he were in school using diapers when his classmates would be going to the bathroom. Since he loved the idea of going to school he decided that he would be potty trained. After he found out how important it was to go to the bathroom on his own it was simple. Might be something to try and it might work for you the way it did for me.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 02, 2011, 01:45:58 am »

My cousin was four when I finally potty trained him. There is massive back story to this but the tdrl is that my aunt and uncle work Mon-Fri. While my aunt comes home at 11pm my uncle doesn't come home until Friday night and is gone Sunday night. The people that were looking after him didn't want to potty train him so when my aunt and uncle tried it failed. I ended up looking after him for a year and pretty much asked him how he would feel if he were in school using diapers when his classmates would be going to the bathroom. Since he loved the idea of going to school he decided that he would be potty trained. After he found out how important it was to go to the bathroom on his own it was simple. Might be something to try and it might work for you the way it did for me.

I had issues getting up at night until I was like 8/9 then it turned out down the road that I had a mild case of scoliosis that was impacting some of the nerves in my lower back area so I literally didn't always get the warning signs so to speak. It might be worthwhil investigating alignment etc if nothing else works.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)