The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:41:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:41:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Goddesses Similar to Hermes?  (Read 6406 times)
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 21, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

I was wondering if anyone could name a goddess that have similar traits to Hermes.

Specific traits being:
-a patron of travelers
-a patron of thieves
-a patron of low magic
-a psychopomp

I've felt someone around lately who is distinctly feminine but also very similar to Hermes. And not in the way that Hermes can fell feminine some times. When I think of her I get this impression of roads at night and that thrill of magic. She's very much like a gypsy in my mind. I thought it might be Hecate but she doesn't look anything like the pictures I've seen of her. I'm interested if only because in the past when gods have been hanging around they've been able to help me with what I've been going through and I'd really appreciate the help.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 21, 2010, 07:07:14 pm »

I was wondering if anyone could name a goddess that have similar traits to Hermes.

Specific traits being:
-a patron of travelers
-a patron of thieves
-a patron of low magic
-a psychopomp

I've felt someone around lately who is distinctly feminine but also very similar to Hermes. And not in the way that Hermes can fell feminine some times. When I think of her I get this impression of roads at night and that thrill of magic. She's very much like a gypsy in my mind. I thought it might be Hecate but she doesn't look anything like the pictures I've seen of her. I'm interested if only because in the past when gods have been hanging around they've been able to help me with what I've been going through and I'd really appreciate the help.

First association - Laverna, goddess of thieves and darkness (the time of day best suited for thieves).

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 21, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

First association - Laverna, goddess of thieves and darkness (the time of day best suited for thieves).

She seems very close to my impression of who's been hanging around but she seems to be almost solely related to thieves and darkness. This goddess while having associations with both has a definite air of travel, particularly travel at night and with low magic, specifically hedge witchery.

Thank you for the info though I would have never thought to look through the Roman pantheon for some reason.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 21, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

Specific traits being:
-a patron of travelers
-a patron of thieves
-a patron of low magic
-a psychopomp

Are you 100% sure it's not Hecate?  Because ime the Gods really don't care if the form they appear to you in doesn't correlate to any pictures you may have seen of Them.  (for instance, Hecate never appears to me in triple-form).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 21, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »

Are you 100% sure it's not Hecate?  Because ime the Gods really don't care if the form they appear to you in doesn't correlate to any pictures you may have seen of Them.  (for instance, Hecate never appears to me in triple-form).

Me neither. She's also never a crone when she pops up for me.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 21, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »

I'm not 100% sure and I didn't mean to say that the depictions of deities are always correct. I think I'm more used to meeting deities that are more like how I've seen them.
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 21, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »

I'm beginning to feel more and more that it is her. I was reading through Theoi and there's an Orphic hymn that describes her much like how I saw this goddess.

...lovely dame, of earthly, watery, and celestial frame, sepulchral, in a saffron veil arrayed, pleased with dark ghosts that wander through the shade; Perseis, solitary goddess, hail! The world’s key-bearer, never doomed to fail; in stags rejoicing, huntress, nightly seen, and drawn by bulls, unconquerable queen; Leader, Nymphe, nurse, on mountains wandering...

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 21, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »

I'm beginning to feel more and more that it is her. I was reading through Theoi and there's an Orphic hymn that describes her much like how I saw this goddess.

When in doubt, ask. Smiley

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 21, 2010, 08:33:18 pm »

I work with Hekate, and your description of her seems pretty accurate to me. But asking can't hurt. Smiley

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 21, 2010, 08:35:08 pm »

I work with Hekate, and your description of her seems pretty accurate to me. But asking can't hurt. Smiley

Hekate is one of my patrons and the first post set off those bells for me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 22, 2010, 08:09:20 am »

Hekate is one of my patrons and the first post set off those bells for me.
Ditto.

As for appearance, while she doesn't appear to me as a crone/hag (and never did, even before I learned that the "crone" thing was a modern construction), she doesn't seem ultra-young either - more a kind of timeless/youthful appearance; if she were a human-type person, if she said she was 24 you wouldn't question it, but with an air of experience and wisdom so that if she said 44 you wouldn't question that, either.  <shrug> UPG, and may have as much to do with what appearance she feels I'd be comfortable with as with how she "really" looks.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 22, 2010, 12:44:14 pm »

As for appearance, while she doesn't appear to me as a crone/hag (and never did, even before I learned that the "crone" thing was a modern construction), she doesn't seem ultra-young either - more a kind of timeless/youthful appearance; if she were a human-type person, if she said she was 24 you wouldn't question it, but with an air of experience and wisdom so that if she said 44 you wouldn't question that, either.  <shrug> UPG, and may have as much to do with what appearance she feels I'd be comfortable with as with how she "really" looks.

I definitely got this vibe as well.
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 22, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »

When in doubt, ask. Smiley

I tried asking and I'm pretty sure the reply I got was a yes.

To everyone who replied: Thanks for the input!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)