The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 20, 2021, 08:00:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2021, 08:00:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hinduism and Christianity?  (Read 5364 times)
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 24, 2010, 01:27:04 am »

So, I'm taking a philosophy of world religions class this semester.

Tonight in class on Hinduism a fellow student brought up the question of whether Christianity/Judaism could possibly have influenced the Upanishads. The professor didn't seem to agree much and said it was a pretty big strech.

However, do you think it is possible that perhaps the concept of the three prime Gods of Hinduism (Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva) could possible be partially inspired by or otherwise linked with the concept of the Christian trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). The professor said one could possibly equate Brahma with the Father and Vishnu with Christ, but said it was a pretty large leap to equate Shiva God of destruction with the Holy Spirit.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I, personally, can see somewhat of a link. However, I think the links between Vedic religion and the Greco-Roman mytho are much stronger. I certainly don't think the Upanishads were inspired by Christian thought, but somewhere in the cultural exchange its always possible some things crossed over, but its a bit of a stretch for me as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:29:16 am by Lykos » Logged

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 24, 2010, 01:39:27 am »

I'd keep in mind that correlation doesn't equal causation. Hinduism is way older than Christianity. Now, I can buy there being similar themes across Indo-European cultures (which sometimes seem to include parts of the Middle East and sometimes not - at any rate, I'm sure cultural exchange happened anyway) because of a common ancestry(ies). But I seriously doubt the "trinity" of Hinduism was inspired by Christian thought.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 24, 2010, 03:39:09 am »

I'd keep in mind that correlation doesn't equal causation. Hinduism is way older than Christianity. Now, I can buy there being similar themes across Indo-European cultures (which sometimes seem to include parts of the Middle East and sometimes not - at any rate, I'm sure cultural exchange happened anyway) because of a common ancestry(ies). But I seriously doubt the "trinity" of Hinduism was inspired by Christian thought.

Right, I agree.

I'm referring to the Upanishads specifically though. Which were written, I believe, somewhere arougn 300 CE on... but I could have my dates mixed up. Certainly the traditional Hindu deities are MUCH older than Christianity or even, one could argue, Judaism.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 24, 2010, 08:54:49 am »

However, do you think it is possible that perhaps the concept of the three prime Gods of Hinduism (Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva) could possible be partially inspired by or otherwise linked with the concept of the Christian trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). The professor said one could possibly equate Brahma with the Father and Vishnu with Christ, but said it was a pretty large leap to equate Shiva God of destruction with the Holy Spirit.

While it is certainly not impossible that the idea of the Christian trinity influenced Hinduism, their is no evidence I know of to show that it actually did. Just as it is not impossible that the Hindu idea of three prime deities somehow influenced early Christians into coming up with the Trinity. Again, however, I haven't seen any evidence that would support this actually happened. It's a long stretch from "not impossible" to "probable".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 24, 2010, 06:38:14 pm »

While it is certainly not impossible that the idea of the Christian trinity influenced Hinduism, their is no evidence I know of to show that it actually did. Just as it is not impossible that the Hindu idea of three prime deities somehow influenced early Christians into coming up with the Trinity. Again, however, I haven't seen any evidence that would support this actually happened. It's a long stretch from "not impossible" to "probable".

That was pretty much what my thoughts were on the issue.

Nomad of Nowhere
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2012, 01:48:26 am

Religion: Slavic Polytheist

Gdje Yarilo hodi, tu vam polje rodi.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 27, 2010, 01:09:39 pm »

So, I'm taking a philosophy of world religions class this semester.

Tonight in class on Hinduism a fellow student brought up the question of whether Christianity/Judaism could possibly have influenced the Upanishads. The professor didn't seem to agree much and said it was a pretty big strech.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I, personally, can see somewhat of a link. However, I think the links between Vedic religion and the Greco-Roman mytho are much stronger. I certainly don't think the Upanishads were inspired by Christian thought, but somewhere in the cultural exchange its always possible some things crossed over, but its a bit of a stretch for me as well.

When it comes to divine triads, I don't think either Hinduism or Christianity have any sort of monopoly. They show up in so many cultures that it's impossible to say who, if anyone, had it first. Egypt had a three-in-one arrangement from early on as well.
Fravashi
Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2011, 04:26:22 am

Religion: Pastafarian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 09, 2011, 10:01:46 pm »

3 is a magic number.

There are 3 big gods in Greek mythology, three wise men, three pure ones, the tripple goddess, and three little pigs.

Hinduism was more influenced by the Indo-Europeans.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 09, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »

3 is a magic number.

There are 3 big gods in Greek mythology, three wise men, three pure ones, the tripple goddess, and three little pigs.

Fravashi,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, Message Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 09, 2011, 10:21:32 pm »

3 is a magic number.

There are hundreds of gods in Greek mythology. There are three sons of Kronos - Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon - but all of Greek mythology does NOT revolve around these guys. Who are the three pure ones?

Hinduism has been influenced by SEVERAL different cultures over a 5000+ year period. The original Indus Valley culture (Dravidians) were invaded by the Aryans, an I-E culture who brought with them the Vedas (hence the term "Vedic", also used instead of calling them Aryans). Muslim empires came, the British plucked around for a bit, and each of these layers added to each other rather than totally supplanting the last cultural completely. "Hinduism" isn't codified, and while many Hindus may look to the Trimurti as the core manifestation of Brahman - that is, seeing universal divinity formed into the three deities Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva - there are many other Hindus who do not. The three largest segments of Hinduism worship Vishnu, Shiva, or Shakti (the feminine divine principle) as the core spiritual reality; Smartism looks towards five or six particular deities (Ganesh, Shakti, Surya, Vishnu, Shiva, and Skanda) as faces of the one divine; some Hindus forgo "gods" entirely and just work with Brahman.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Fravashi
Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2011, 04:26:22 am

Religion: Pastafarian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 09, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »

Fravashi,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, Message Board Staff

Thanks. I'll remember that next time.

There are hundreds of gods in Greek mythology. There are three sons of Kronos - Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon - but all of Greek mythology does NOT revolve around these guys. Who are the three pure ones?

Hinduism has been influenced by SEVERAL different cultures over a 5000+ year period. The original Indus Valley culture (Dravidians) were invaded by the Aryans, an I-E culture who brought with them the Vedas (hence the term "Vedic", also used instead of calling them Aryans). Muslim empires came, the British plucked around for a bit, and each of these layers added to each other rather than totally supplanting the last cultural completely. "Hinduism" isn't codified, and while many Hindus may look to the Trimurti as the core manifestation of Brahman - that is, seeing universal divinity formed into the three deities Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva - there are many other Hindus who do not. The three largest segments of Hinduism worship Vishnu, Shiva, or Shakti (the feminine divine principle) as the core spiritual reality; Smartism looks towards five or six particular deities (Ganesh, Shakti, Surya, Vishnu, Shiva, and Skanda) as faces of the one divine; some Hindus forgo "gods" entirely and just work with Brahman.

Ture Apollo and Artemis got respect, but the three you listed are generally considered the biggest.

I also said that it was more inspired by the I-Es than Christians. You are right that it has been changed bits through history, as with many other religions. THX for the info.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 09, 2011, 10:37:30 pm »

Thanks. I'll remember that next time.

Ture Apollo and Artemis got respect, but the three you listed are generally considered the biggest.

The Twelve Olympians got respect, as did a host of other beings (plus some foreign cults as well). I'm not arguing that Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon weren't big, but Greek religion did NOT focus around those focal three.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 09, 2011, 10:41:19 pm »

Along with Athena, Hera, Aphrodite, Demeter, Hestia, Ares, Hephaestus, Dionysos, Persephone, Hermes, Herakles, Eros, Asclepius...

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)