The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 15, 2019, 06:48:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:48:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Drinking horn  (Read 8759 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 24, 2010, 03:38:39 am »

If you do have a drinking horn what does it look like and how do you use it in your life/Heathenry? If you don't, would you like to have one? Or is it just something you're not interested in?

I personally don't feel a strong need for a drinking horn... but even those who don't feel a strong need to relive Viking days may feel differently! So I was just curious.

Here's a Mead Horn project blog post:http://gallowsburden.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/project-mead-horn-and-a-new-asatru-podcast/

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mark C.
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 12:03:15 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen of as yet undefined specificity :-)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 24, 2010, 04:22:21 am »

If you do have a drinking horn what does it look like and how do you use it in your life/Heathenry? If you don't, would you like to have one? Or is it just something you're not interested in?

I do have a drinking horn and I use it both for offerings; and when having a beer when watching the TV.

It feels right to make offerings and toasts with a horn. I also feel the everyday use as a drinking vessel gives me an added connection to my ancestors as I’m using a horn in the way they did. I’d like to think they know I’m thinking of them when I use it.

My horn is very simple and plain. It holds around ľ of a pint and gets stored on a shelf next to my alter. It is used for both the sacred and the “everyday” though because doing so makes the everyday seems more sacred.

And besides, drinking from a horn is really cool!  Grin

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 24, 2010, 04:25:42 am »

My SO has one.  I don't think he's used it much, maybe one since I've known him.  Mainly, it sits on the altar and collects dust.  I guess it looks like your usual drinking horn--a long horn shaped drinking vessel, lol.  He put beeswax in as a coating, probably to protect the materials from mixing, but I'm not really sure why he did that. 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 24, 2010, 01:49:32 pm »

Although I'm a Celt and do not personally pracitice Heathenry I have two (whilst waiting for the third to arrive from Ebay  Cheesy )  One I keep in my feast bundle (14")and use it at every ritual feast.  The other I created for when I "sat out" a few days before my Elevation Ritual (10").  I use that one for water only.  The drinking of water while fasting helps to trigger my "travelling" button. They are both beautiful and I cherish each of them for their own merit.  When I use the horn to drink anything from there is a connection made with my ancestors.  I believe that this connection is based more in the Bull itself and the personal reverence that I and they have for his gifts. 

The larger one (20") will be used in larger rituals as an offering vessel for beer or mead.  Can't wait for it to arrive as I will be embellishing it with a silver rim, a (hopefully) crow finial and a leather frog.   This one will carry more of a ceremonial essence than the other two and will only be used for conducting ritual. 

I love what Mark C. said when he stated that using the horn makes everyday activities more sacred. 

Kindness first and in all things...
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 24, 2010, 02:04:43 pm »

I've had a drinking horn for about a year and a half now. I used it while sharing a blót with my last Pagan group - filled it with cut wine and passed it around - and am currently using it in my Druidry to hold the offerings to my ancestors (usually water).

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 24, 2010, 11:43:20 pm »

Would (or does) having a strong connection to a god who is in some way associated with a drinking horn (for ex. Thor in the Prose Edda drinking from a horn whose end is in the ocean) make it more appealing to you, or is it simply the cultural connection?

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 25, 2010, 12:07:02 am »

Would (or does) having a strong connection to a god who is in some way associated with a drinking horn (for ex. Thor in the Prose Edda drinking from a horn whose end is in the ocean) make it more appealing to you, or is it simply the cultural connection?

For me, a drinking horn is a (very very special and ritualistic) prop that helps me make a connection between other practicing Pagans and the practices of Pagans back in the day. While I don't link my horn to any particular deity, it does help me feel connected (in a way some of my Wiccan props don't). Even if I'm not a heathen, the Norse gods were the first ones I reached out to after I quit Christianity cold turkey, and it's kinda a personal reminder of how far I've come along on my path.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 25, 2010, 12:26:38 am »

Here's a Mead Horn project blog post:http://gallowsburden.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/project-mead-horn-and-a-new-asatru-podcast/

I don't have a drinking horn, but I would love to get one.  I want one because of its connection to the culture, history and mythology.

How does one clean a drinking horn so it is able to be used? 

Is there any type of liquid that should not be put in the drinking horn?   

I found this one for sale: http://www.spellsofmagic.com/shop_details.html?c=F&s=%22Ritual+Items%22&id=61686&referral_fg

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 25, 2010, 01:54:38 am »

I don't have a drinking horn, but I would love to get one.  I want one because of its connection to the culture, history and mythology.

I found this one for sale: http://www.spellsofmagic.com/shop_details.html?c=F&s=%22Ritual+Items%22&id=61686&referral_fg

I just use warm water and soap when I want to clean mine. You may want to ask the vendor who's selling it, just to see if they used any particular varnish (can't think of the actual word). I've run into people selling drinking horns that you reeeeally shouldn't actually drink out of and looked suspiciously shiny...

Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 25, 2010, 08:51:48 am »

When I receive a horn I take steel wool and clean out the inside (as far as I can reach) and then coat the inside with beeswax.  I usually apply two coats.  All of the horns that I have bought have not had food grade sealant applied to them.  I use a mild soap and warm water to clean.  As I am using beeswax I never drink hot beverages from my horns.  The wax will melt.   Grin   I believe that one can put hot liquids in the varnish/sealant sealed horns. 

I wanted to see the horn that you were considering but the link didn't work for me.  *shrug*

Kindness first and in all things...
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 25, 2010, 08:55:08 am »

I personally don't feel a strong need for a drinking horn... but even those who don't feel a strong need to relive Viking days may feel differently! So I was just curious.

I have a drinking horn (doubles as a trumpet horn), but it is broken and I have not found the time to repair it (it is on my list). Mine is a steer's horn that has a black point and is tannish white with some brown for most of the horn. As I purchased this horn I do not know what the material used was to seal the inside for drinking. Best guess would be a polymer coating given how it feels.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 25, 2010, 04:09:48 pm »

I have a horn. Actually, buying it was one of the first things I did after deciding I was Heathen, or that I had to give this Heathenry thing a proper try if I were to know whether it was right for me. It was a confirmatory act, in a way. Although as a member of this this consumer driven society there might be interesting comments to make about that ...  Tongue It generally sits on my altar-type-space and I've only used it the once when I took it to use at sumble as I had a cold. I have no idea what it's been treated with - varnish on the outside I think and there doesn't seem to be much on the inside at all. It's a bit inconvenient for general drinking use as you can't put it down, otherwise I'd use it much more.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
aethelstan
Last Login:March 29, 2011, 01:22:46 pm

Religion: Germanic Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 21, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »

Mine is made of cow horn and has leather intertwined near the top.  I use it for blots and sumbels.   
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 21, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »

I don't have one but I really want one because I think it would bring a certain energy to offerings and/or rituals. I wonder if anyone here makes and sells them?

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)