The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 03, 2021, 03:04:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 03, 2021, 03:04:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Human sacrifice  (Read 38102 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 24, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »

If you are following a path that has a historical connection to ritual human sacrifice (whether proven or simply probable) - how do you see that in the modern world? Do you enact some sort of symbolic sacrifices (like burning a poppet) to serve a similar purpose in your worship? Or do you feel that it was something entirely for another culture in another time, and not something that is significant to your path?

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 24, 2010, 10:24:16 pm »

If you are following a path that has a historical connection to ritual human sacrifice (whether proven or simply probable) - how do you see that in the modern world? Do you enact some sort of symbolic sacrifices (like burning a poppet) to serve a similar purpose in your worship? Or do you feel that it was something entirely for another culture in another time, and not something that is significant to your path?

Not significant to me. Ancient Druids also went without birth control or basic hygiene - am I supposed to emulate that, too? Wink

I'm not on a recon path, but I think at a certain point one must concede that religious activity is very much a product of the time and place in which it was practiced.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 24, 2010, 10:25:19 pm »

While I am aware of the cosmological reasoning behind human (and other types) of sacrifice in an I-E cultural context, I haven't made a decision on whether to incorporate human sacrifice (symbolic, of course) into my practice. I do however like Erynn Rowan Laurie's essay on the subject, particularly the idea of substituting cognate plant material for human.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 24, 2010, 10:51:13 pm »

The Mesoamerican recons I've encountered have offered their own blood.  (Often using sterile lancets such as those diabetics use to get blood for blood sugar tests.)

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 24, 2010, 11:00:24 pm »

The Mesoamerican recons I've encountered have offered their own blood.  (Often using sterile lancets such as those diabetics use to get blood for blood sugar tests.)

I come close to passing out every time the doctors take blood for tests - I can't imagine having the stones to actually give blood in that manner myself. Although I wonder what they do with the blood afterward?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: August 24, 2010, 11:08:05 pm »

I come close to passing out every time the doctors take blood for tests - I can't imagine having the stones to actually give blood in that manner myself. Although I wonder what they do with the blood afterward?

The lancets for testing your blood are tiny and short.  They produce at most a drop or two - just enough to cover the receptive dot on the test strip.  (diabetic here). 

If I am going to do this I usually use the blood to anoint a candle or to underscore something written on paper.  Occasionally it will go into something I drink or pour out.  That small amount is enough, in my opinion, to convey the energies I am trying to work with and disposal isn't really an issue.

Mind, I don't worship any gods for whom blood sacrifice is a major deal - I mostly use it to tie magic down rather than as an element in  worship.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 24, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »

Okay, gotcha. A couple drops makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 25, 2010, 01:03:53 am »

Not significant to me. Ancient Druids also went without birth control or basic hygiene - am I supposed to emulate that, too? Wink

I'm not on a recon path, but I think at a certain point one must concede that religious activity is very much a product of the time and place in which it was practiced.

To be fair, lack of birth control or hygene were not religious practices. Human sacrifice was. Iy seems to me shallow/flippant to dismiss the issue as one that is on a par with the issues you mentioned. Are you aware of the religious significance of human sacrifice within Celtic religion and believe that it is no longer relevant, or are you unaware and uninterested, aware but not willing, etc.?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 25, 2010, 01:46:53 am »

To be fair, lack of birth control or hygene were not religious practices. Human sacrifice was. Iy seems to me shallow/flippant to dismiss the issue as one that is on a par with the issues you mentioned. Are you aware of the religious significance of human sacrifice within Celtic religion and believe that it is no longer relevant, or are you unaware and uninterested, aware but not willing, etc.?

I'm aware, not willing, and don't think it matters anymore in society. My point was that just because something happened in the past doesn't mean it should be replicated. Granted, it never occurred to me that human sacrifice could be performed in effigy - not something I'd ever make part of my practice, but to each their own.

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 25, 2010, 01:58:13 am »

You could use the SMBG kits that diabetics use to test their blood sugar. The tool gives a swift jab to your finger that you don't feel, that produces a few good drops of blood (I don't know how much you'd need?)............just thought I'd throw that out there  Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 25, 2010, 02:03:09 am »

I'm aware, not willing, and don't think it matters anymore in society. My point was that just because something happened in the past doesn't mean it should be replicated. Granted, it never occurred to me that human sacrifice could be performed in effigy - not something I'd ever make part of my practice, but to each their own.

I respect your opinion and understand and agree with your position that just because the ancients did it, modern practitioners should too. You're very right in pointing out that we don't live in ancient times anymore. That said, what is your thought around the lack of relevance of this type of sacrifice in the contemporary world?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 25, 2010, 02:12:39 am »

I respect your opinion and understand and agree with your position that just because the ancients did it, modern practitioners should too. You're very right in pointing out that we don't live in ancient times anymore. That said, what is your thought around the lack of relevance of this type of sacrifice in the contemporary world?

I think the visceral reaction comes from the idea of taking a human life and, even in effigy, replicating that practice today. Barring someone breaking through my house and trying to hurt my family, I don't ever think it would be right for me to kill someone, and the idea of offering that death to the gods just doesn't sit right with me. It's even more disturbing to think of the gods (especially today) accepting that sort of gift.

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 25, 2010, 03:01:30 am »

A number of festival practices I'm interested in generally involved a full-on sacrifice of a human body (in some cases, the person had the entire miasma of the village laid upon them, and they were killed; in other cases, the person had killed the god [usually an animal] and was killed himself), way back when, but were generally toned down, ranging from being ritualistically whipped, to poppets, or using an animal (like a goat or a bull-calf). Its not exactly something I can ignore. However, it's not something thats been asked of me so far, and while I've toyed with the idea of blood offerings, I haven't taken a step in that direction.

So.. significant, but not necessary at this point in time for me.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 25, 2010, 03:01:54 am »

I think the visceral reaction comes from the idea of taking a human life and, even in effigy, replicating that practice today. Barring someone breaking through my house and trying to hurt my family, I don't ever think it would be right for me to kill someone...

I think that this is a very personal response and I would like to seperate my respect for it from the questions I have on the next to bits.

Not that they're discrespectful questions, but that I find that questioning personal things benefits from a considerate approach and text can be crap for that sort of thing Smiley

..the idea of offering that death to the gods just doesn't sit right with me. ...

Can/will you elaborate on what you mean by 'doeasn't sit right'? Stream of consciousness would help as a starter, if it's hard to put into a whole picture.

...It's even more disturbing to think of the gods (especially today) accepting that sort of gift.

What is disturbing? The offering? What's being offered? Other? How does the current era relate to the gods' acceptence (or otherwise) of the gift?

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 25, 2010, 03:39:30 am »

I think that this is a very personal response and I would like to seperate my respect for it from the questions I have on the next to bits.

Not that they're discrespectful questions, but that I find that questioning personal things benefits from a considerate approach and text can be crap for that sort of thing Smiley

Thank you for being sensitive and asking thought-provoking questions. Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm seeing that I've got a lot of defensive reactions in regards to this topic, which has me surprised. I'll try to do better about articulating myself.

Can/will you elaborate on what you mean by 'doeasn't sit right'? Stream of consciousness would help as a starter, if it's hard to put into a whole picture.

What is disturbing? The offering? What's being offered? Other? How does the current era relate to the gods' acceptence (or otherwise) of the gift?

I suppose the reason actual human sacrifice disturbs me is the fact someone had to be killed for it to happen. Whatever the thoughts were on the proper use of prisoners of war, or the desires of the gods, the modern values I was raised with tell me that murder is wrong. Human life is sacred, and the act of killing should have very good justification behind it (for example, in self-defense of oneself or loved ones, or in capital punishment involving serial killers). To me, "because (I think that/my culture or religion tells me that) the gods want me to" isn't a nearly good enough excuse.

Going to why I don't like the idea of gods accepting that sort of sacrifice... because murder is such a Very Bad Thing in my eyes, I don't like thinking that my gods are associated with Very Bad Things. I acknowledge that most of the gods we have written myths for were/are involved in some pretty terrible things, though I think that there's a deity, and then there's the deity as represented by a certain author, in a certain time period, writing with as much bias as an author today. And with the relationships I've kindled over the years, I can't imagine ever being okay with the gods I know and love accepting a human sacrifice. That's condoning actual murder - not the mythological or figurative kind, but the real kind - and that's not right by me.

Finally, as far as my dislike of human effigy goes... an effigy is supposed to be a stand-in of the real thing. Since I view literal human sacrifice as unjustified murder, I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to reproduce that, even without the loss of human life. However, since there are definitely intentions other than that (even if I can't think of them right now), if the intent of the sacrifice is clearly stated and there's a certain reasoning there for why someone wants to include that... I'd be willing to listen. I don't think I could participate in that ritual, but I would try to understand it.

I hope that makes more sense.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)