The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 14, 2021, 03:34:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 14, 2021, 03:34:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Human sacrifice  (Read 38652 times)
Siya
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 07, 2011, 02:52:24 am
United States United States

Religion: polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 25, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »

I guess I would have to question the willingness of the sacrifice. From what I remember from my Old Testament and Classical Archaeology classes, at least some of the humans to be sacrificed were prisoners of war, and I doubt they were happy with their lives being set apart for the gods. And if someone's told that the only way the city will survive is if the gods get a human sacrifice... well, at least a few folks would want to be a hero.

I think this is really a major part. I'm not sure how things worked elsewhere because the only place I've really learned about it was ancient Mexico, but in Mesoamerica human sacrifice was pretty complex. In a lot of cases, it was an honor. In the Mayan ballgames, sometimes it was the loser (a prisoner chosen for the purpose) who was sacrificed, but in other cases there are images of the winning team or their captain being sacrificed, presumably willingly. The Aztecs had several yearly sacrifices that involved choosing someone to "be" the god for a year, getting the best food, not having to work, being pampered and provided with sexual partners, etc. At the end of the year, they'd be sacrificed. The person chosen was generally quite willing, because the sacrifices were an honor and were also seen as necessary to keep the universe from being destroyed.

That said, those societies also had things like child sacrifice, and they definitely did sacrifice prisoners of war (considered an honor by the winning side, but probably not by the losers). They also expected their upper classes to offer blood in ritual, and some of them sounded pretty painful (dragging a spiked rope through a hole in your tongue? ouch).

But sacrifice was viewed very differently by the people of historical societies than it is now, and I think that's important to remember.

As far as sacrifice in a modern setting, most modern societies not only don't find it ethical but have enacted laws against it, and as a member of one of these societies, I can't see using human sacrifice even if it were suddenly legal. We're all products of our times. I could see substituting bloodletting or a poppet, though, depending on the purpose of the ritual. (I know some people use animals, but I don't think I could do that myself, on a personal level. But I think it's also a valid substitute.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)