The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 03:54:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 03:54:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 7964 times)
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 25, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »

While trying to decide what I'm making for dinner, I started to wonder what everyone else is cooking lately. What dishes are you really enjoying lately, and why?

Monday night I made a lovely lasagna with a Caesar salad and rolls. Tonight I'm leaning towards a chicken curry vindaloo if I can find all the right spices, more by way of an adventure in food than anything else. If not, I'm thinking possibly rice or a strata with chicken and veggies.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: August 25, 2010, 03:01:26 pm »

While trying to decide what I'm making for dinner, I started to wonder what everyone else is cooking lately. What dishes are you really enjoying lately, and why?

Tonight, our housemate is making chicken pot pie.  Pre-made pie crust (top and bottom), filled with cooked chicken chunks, veggies, and a can of condensed cream-of-chicken soup, and baked (I don't know how long or at what temp).  It turns out to be really easy, and really tasty.

I've done a lot of variations lately on just pan-frying strips of pork loin.  Tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos are all in season, so I've done a sort of salsa pork a couple of times.  There's a cranberry-horseradish marinade (made by a company called Silver Spring, I think?) that works pretty well with it.  I've cooked it with some vinegar and sugar and caraway seeds and onions, and then put a gingersnap gravy over it, for a "Bavarian" dish (so the recipe, originally written for beef, alleges), which I serve with egg noodles and red cabbage.  (Most of the other pork stuff gets served with rice and a veggie of some sort.)  I've also just fried the pork up all by itself.  Or with apples, or with peaches.

I've also done a lot of chicken thigh.  It's cheaper and more flavorful, although not as lean as the more popular breast of course.  The same company makes a pineapple-apricot-horseradish marinade that goes REALLY well on chicken thigh.  This week I'm trying a recipe that involves apples, cider, and ginger.  I've done some variations on breading and frying...

I've also roasted whole cut-up chicken, and then saved the bones and the bits that aren't useful for eating to make stock with later.

We're doing a lot of pasta with red sauce and sandwiches (PB&J, BLT, egg salad, and chicken salad mostly) for lunches.

Oh, and we do tacos (bean for Housemate and me, turkey for Hubby and Daughter) every Monday night.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 25, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »

I've been making a lot of chili using buffalo lately. SO and I are on a higher protein diet for a bit now and chili has turned out to be one of the things I'm fairly decent at making when I'm sick of "some kind of meat product, veggie and half a potato" for dinner.  I also made fairly decent buffalo chicken fingers the other day.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 25, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »

Last night was a thrown together salad of stuff in the fridge: a lonely apple, blue cheese, romaine, walnuts, dried cranberries and a cherry-and-something-else balsamic vinaigrette. Also ate the rest of a baguette that's been sitting in there for a while with some oil and pepper. Pretty tasty.

My aunt and small cousin are in Scotland for a few weeks, so my uncle and I are bachelor-ing it up. He's content with dinners of yogurt and fruit mostly, and random leftovers and frozen foods if I force them upon him. I'm far more ambitious in the kitchen than he is, but there's a ton of stuff to work with in their very tiny but very packed pantry!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 25, 2010, 04:35:07 pm »

Monday night I made a lovely lasagna with a Caesar salad and rolls. Tonight I'm leaning towards a chicken curry vindaloo if I can find all the right spices, more by way of an adventure in food than anything else. If not, I'm thinking possibly rice or a strata with chicken and veggies.

My 12 year old son has a thing for the Halloween recipe magazines that you see at the checkout counter, I get him two every year.  So today, for my birthday dinner, we are having spaghetti stuffed peppers.  (ok, in the mag, they're orange and have jackolantern faces carved in them before they are stuffed with spaghetti covered with their favorite canned spaghetti sauce, ground meat, and grated parmesan).

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 25, 2010, 05:11:07 pm »

We make this salad that is utterly fantastic (and very filling).  Basically it has some elements, but you can always add or subtract a few things here and there.

Lettuce, red cabbage, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, avocado, grilled chicken cut into cubes, strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or sesame seeds, some form of cheese (I found out that gouda is fantastic)

We were shocked to find out that no matter which dressing we've tried on it so far we've loved it.  It's the fruit that really makes it, but I was very pleasantly surprised that avocado and strawberry and chicken together in one bite is amazing.  Add your favorite veggies, take out the ones you hate... *shrugs*  Add eggs or ham or turkey instead if you want to.

Either way, there is usually so much in it it's a very filling meal, very yummy, and well... it's a salad so you can't feel too bad about eating it!

Ana

stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 25, 2010, 05:45:19 pm »

I couldn't find all the spices I wanted for the vindaloo, so what I finally decided to do was a lemon-rosemary roast chicken, oven-roasted broccoli with garlic-infused olive oil, cheesy jacket potatoes, and a nice Riesling to drink. Cheesy

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 25, 2010, 05:59:36 pm »

I couldn't find all the spices I wanted for the vindaloo, so what I finally decided to do was a lemon-rosemary roast chicken, oven-roasted broccoli with garlic-infused olive oil, cheesy jacket potatoes, and a nice Riesling to drink. Cheesy

How do you oven-roast broccoli?  We eat it all the time, but steamed.  I'd love another way to prepare it.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 25, 2010, 06:40:40 pm »

How do you oven-roast broccoli?  We eat it all the time, but steamed.  I'd love another way to prepare it.

if you toss it in a little bit of olive oil and then roast it in the oven it actually ends up with a slightly nutty flavor.  It's really good that way.

Ana

Melamphoros
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 25, 2010, 06:58:04 pm »

Tonight (since we're limited to stuff we already have in the house) I took some pizza dough and made little squares out of it.  Then I put mozzarella cheese, basil, oregano and a little bit of black pepper on each square; rolled them up (like a cinnamon bun) and bake them like I normally would.  They are quite tasty but I wish I had some sauce to dip them in Sad

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: August 26, 2010, 06:56:16 am »

Tonight (since we're limited to stuff we already have in the house) I took some pizza dough and made little squares out of it.  Then I put mozzarella cheese, basil, oregano and a little bit of black pepper on each square; rolled them up (like a cinnamon bun) and bake them like I normally would.  They are quite tasty but I wish I had some sauce to dip them in Sad

Oooooo.  I am totally stealing that idea.  That sounds delicious.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 28, 2010, 11:42:10 pm »

The way I do it is to heat some olive oil (preferably extra-virgin) in the bottom of a largish pan on the stove with a couple of thinly sliced cloves of garlic in it. (I prefer to slice the garlic rather than mince it so that I can just flavor the oil with it rather than making the broccoli too garlicky.) Then I toss the broccoli in the oil, season with just a little sea salt, then put in a baking or roasting pan and cook until it wilts just slightly but still has some texture.

Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 29, 2010, 04:58:38 pm »

This wouldn't be the "healthiest" meal for dinner, but it's really yummy and kids tend to love it too (unless they're weird like my son who throws a temper tantrum that he hates it... then finally tries a bite and wants seconds.)

TexMex Tatertot casserole

1 bag of tatertots- brown in the oven in a 9x12 glass pan or equivalent

on the stove:

Brown 1 lb of ground beef
mix in:
1 can (or equivalent of frozen) corn- drained if canned
1 can RoTel diced tomatoes and chilis (other brands work fine too)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 pkg taco seasoning

Stir it all together and pour over the browned tatertots.  Then top with shredded cheese.  We usually use a mexican blend cheese, but whatever you normally like on your tacos would work just fine.  Put it back in the oven until the cheese is nice and melty and then it's done!

takes about 30 minutes to prep, so not too bad for week nights.

Ana

Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 29, 2010, 05:22:08 pm »

This one turned out pretty good too when we made it... yes, it's another "mex" meal, and... oddly enough it also has Rotel in it... can you see we love that stuff?

Chicken Enchiladas:

Boil about 3-4 chicken breasts in a pot of water, then shred it into a bowl.  Add 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis, and 2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese.

Prepare rice however you prefer to prepare it, whether spanish rice or just instant white rice, whatever floats your boat, enough for about 6 servings.  Spread the rice on the bottom of the pan and mix with a little of your favorite enchilada sauce.  (we just used the Old El Paso one actually it was good)

Roll the chicken mixture into tortillas and lay them side by side over the rice.  Top with enchilada sauce and cover with cheese.  Bake at 350 until the cheese on top gets a little bit crusty.

Also very easy to make.  You can serve with corn or even mix it up into the chicken mix if you want.

Ana

salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 30, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »

What dishes are you really enjoying lately, and why?

A few nights ago I made lamb chops for the first time, out of sheer curiosity.  I threw them on the stove with some rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and cooked till medium rare.  They were fantastic!  So tender and flavorful, and even less expensive than steak.

Tonight, I'm trying to cook bison for the first time... I hear this can be tricky because it's so lean.  Hope I don't screw it up!   Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)