The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 03:01:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 03:01:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 7962 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #15: August 30, 2010, 04:36:10 pm »

Tonight, I'm trying to cook bison for the first time... I hear this can be tricky because it's so lean.  Hope I don't screw it up!   Wink

My best tip for that, if it's a roast, is to pour a can of cola into the roasting pan.  Bison, moose, and bear can be kind of tough, and adding cola helps tenderize it and accents the flavour.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 31, 2010, 11:31:26 am »

This one turned out pretty good too when we made it... yes, it's another "mex" meal, and... oddly enough it also has Rotel in it... can you see we love that stuff?

That looks interesting, Ana. It always surprises me how far removed American cooks' ideas of Mexican and Tex-Mex cooking is from the stuff people in the neighborhood where I grew up used to make.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: August 31, 2010, 11:50:26 am »

That looks interesting, Ana. It always surprises me how far removed American cooks' ideas of Mexican and Tex-Mex cooking is from the stuff people in the neighborhood where I grew up used to make.

Mostly, once you get away from the border, if it's got a tortilla of some description (tortilla chips included, but sandwich "wraps" excluded), or some combination of tomatoes and jalapenos (or habaneros), or refried beans (bonus points for cheese and/or "taco sauce"), it'll probably get lumped into "Mexican".  I think most of us who use that descriptor for such dishes realize that it's not authentic in the slightest, though.  I mean, we don't think that real Mexican food is like Taco Bell, you know.  Wink  It's just a sort of shorthand for a particular very loose grouping of foods which presumably at some point had Mexican roots but over the years have been reinterpreted (in some cases drastically) to suit a different culture.  And, eventually, it's also come to denote the flavor profile of the reinterperted dishes even though they really bear no resemblance to actual Mexican food.

(Although I'll add that I've run into a couple of Mexican restaurants in the Midwest that seem to have some actually really-Mexican food.  You have to know where to look, though, and it's not usually what most home cooks are making when they say they're making a "Mexican" dish.  And I think even they cater to American tastebuds somewhat...)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 31, 2010, 12:07:44 pm »

I lived in El Paso for a while when I was little.  The recipes I put above I put as "mex" mostly because it's really not Mexican food at all, but it fits with that sort of flavor I guess.    Honestly I'm not a fan of "tex-mex" in general.  The flavor is different.  But when I'm looking for something cheap and fast to make and I'm sick of mac&cheese or spaghetti and I just want a different type of flavor... those usually work.  We make "chinese" food also.  It's not really chinese food, but if you've got to classify it somewhere... *shrugs*  Still good though!

but yeah... it's REALLY not mexican food Wink  Enchiladas are a little bit closer, but once again, sometimes it's just easier to go with convenience and a quick meal.

Ana

nyx190
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 24, 2010, 11:49:25 am
Canada Canada

Religion: none
TCN ID: nyx190

Gravatar

Blog entries (8)

http://www.myspace.com/he http://www.facebook.com/h jessicapaskaruk

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 31, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »

While trying to decide what I'm making for dinner, I started to wonder what everyone else is cooking lately. What dishes are you really enjoying lately, and why?

i am making home made pizza tonight tomorrow will depend what i am in the mood for or how many left overs i have lol

i usely go through a cook book to get ideas (i also made myself a cook book from recipes from magazines thats pretty cool) but it is usly chicken and rice in some way we arent really big red meat eatters i save that stuff for when we have family over for super lol you would we live in the 1800s not the 2000s sometimes the way i cook lol
stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 31, 2010, 02:30:23 pm »

Mostly, once you get away from the border, if it's got a tortilla of some description (tortilla chips included, but sandwich "wraps" excluded), or some combination of tomatoes and jalapenos (or habaneros), or refried beans (bonus points for cheese and/or "taco sauce"), it'll probably get lumped into "Mexican".  I think most of us who use that descriptor for such dishes realize that it's not authentic in the slightest, though.  I mean, we don't think that real Mexican food is like Taco Bell, you know.  Wink  It's just a sort of shorthand for a particular very loose grouping of foods which presumably at some point had Mexican roots but over the years have been reinterpreted (in some cases drastically) to suit a different culture.  And, eventually, it's also come to denote the flavor profile of the reinterperted dishes even though they really bear no resemblance to actual Mexican food.

(Although I'll add that I've run into a couple of Mexican restaurants in the Midwest that seem to have some actually really-Mexican food.  You have to know where to look, though, and it's not usually what most home cooks are making when they say they're making a "Mexican" dish.  And I think even they cater to American tastebuds somewhat...)

The funny thing is, I grew up in North Carolina, but I learned to cook as much from my friends' mothers and grandmothers as I did from my own, and while Mom was born and raised in the same town where I was, Santa's mother was from Guanajuato, Margarita and Ivonne from Mexico City, and Alonso's mom and my comadre (godson's mother) were both from Michoacan. So what I expect from "Mexican" food is always different from what I get, no matter how much I try to adjust.

Melamphoros
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 31, 2010, 02:40:29 pm »

The funny thing is, I grew up in North Carolina, but I learned to cook as much from my friends' mothers and grandmothers as I did from my own, and while Mom was born and raised in the same town where I was, Santa's mother was from Guanajuato, Margarita and Ivonne from Mexico City, and Alonso's mom and my comadre (godson's mother) were both from Michoacan. So what I expect from "Mexican" food is always different from what I get, no matter how much I try to adjust.

I grew up on what may be known as "Taco Bell Mexican" and didn't know what authentic Mexican was like until I tried a former neighbor's (who was born in Montana but lived in Mexico for a while) cooking and then making some myself in an International Cuisine class  I took.  There are also quite a few authentic Mexican restaurants in my area.

I am probably strange because I think that authentic Mexican is rather bland, or it could be just the tacos I've eaten at Mexican restaurants are not like the seasoning pack-based cooking that I grew up on (and still use).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 31, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »

My best tip for that, if it's a roast, is to pour a can of cola into the roasting pan.  Bison, moose, and bear can be kind of tough, and adding cola helps tenderize it and accents the flavour.

Absent

You can use cola???  I wish I had known that, I usually use beer and we didn't have any! Sad  So my bison turned out a lot less tender than I would have liked.  Thanks for that tip, at least I know what to do next time!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #23: August 31, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »

You can use cola???  I wish I had known that, I usually use beer and we didn't have any! Sad  So my bison turned out a lot less tender than I would have liked.  Thanks for that tip, at least I know what to do next time!

I have medical issues with alcohol so I rarely even have cooking sherry in the house.  Cola for game roasts and club soda for fish batter are handy substitutes.  My dad has always used the former for meat and my mom (who had a chip truck for years) has always used the latter, and her fish was famous. Cheesy

Absent

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 01, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

I have medical issues with alcohol so I rarely even have cooking sherry in the house.  Cola for game roasts and club soda for fish batter are handy substitutes.  My dad has always used the former for meat and my mom (who had a chip truck for years) has always used the latter, and her fish was famous. Cheesy

Absent

Does it matter if the cola is diet or not?  I usually only have diet in the house.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #25: September 01, 2010, 08:32:38 pm »

Does it matter if the cola is diet or not?  I usually only have diet in the house.

I don't know.  I've never tried.  Diet cola has different chemicals, but I don't know if they would change the taste or not.  They probably wouldn't interfere with the tenderizing.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 02, 2010, 08:30:23 am »

I don't know.  I've never tried.  Diet cola has different chemicals, but I don't know if they would change the taste or not.  They probably wouldn't interfere with the tenderizing.

Absent

Well then I guess there's only one way to find out! Wink  I'll post up when I've tried it.
stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 03, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »

Well then I guess there's only one way to find out! Wink  I'll post up when I've tried it.

Regular diet sodas, the kind with aspartame, can get bitter when they're heated. I recommend one that has sucralose/Splenda.

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 08, 2010, 06:03:29 am »

Regular diet sodas, the kind with aspartame, can get bitter when they're heated. I recommend one that has sucralose/Splenda.

Thanks so much for the info.   We usually drink Coke Zero around here, so I think I can use that.  Smiley
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 08, 2010, 10:35:00 am »

Thanks so much for the info.   We usually drink Coke Zero around here, so I think I can use that.  Smiley

Coke Zero doesn't have sucralose/splenda that I know of... check the label before you use it Smiley

Ana

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)