The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 04, 2020, 08:51:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 08:51:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Campaign Chief and Former RNC Chair Ken Mehlman: I'm Gay  (Read 4440 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: August 25, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »

Whoa. Didn't see this one coming.

Bush Campaign Chief and Former RNC Chair Ken Mehlman: I'm Gay

Ken Mehlman, President Bush's campaign manager in 2004 and a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, has told family and associates that he is gay.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/08/bush-campaign-chief-and-former-rnc-chair-ken-mehlman-im-gay/62065

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 25, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »

Whoa. Didn't see this one coming.

Ken Mehlman, President Bush's campaign manager in 2004 and a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, has told family and associates that he is gay.

Sigh. More hypocrisy from the Republican leadership.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 25, 2010, 10:08:11 pm »

Sigh. More hypocrisy from the Republican leadership.

I actually find it kinda heartening. He wasn't pushed out of the closet (from what I can tell), he chose to open the door himself. And then he's taking it somewhere by speaking in favor of SSM. Good for him. Sorry it took so long, but still, good for him.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 26, 2010, 07:59:48 am »

I actually find it kinda heartening. He wasn't pushed out of the closet (from what I can tell), he chose to open the door himself. And then he's taking it somewhere by speaking in favor of SSM. Good for him. Sorry it took so long, but still, good for him.

I can see your way of thinking, but it doesn't change the fact that here is another Republican bigwig who was not practicing what he preached (and what he wanted to impose by laws).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 26, 2010, 08:55:20 am »

I can see your way of thinking, but it doesn't change the fact that here is another Republican bigwig who was not practicing what he preached (and what he wanted to impose by laws).

This has been an open secret in NYC for a while now.

I'm with Randall on this. I'm rather tired of these Uncle Tom homosexuals who spend their careers making the lives of other gay people miserable, profiting handsomely at our expense, and then--when it will no longer cost them anything with their Republican masters--they have an epiphany and come out. And we in the gay community are supposed to embrace them as sudden heroes.

Next: He'll be given a leading board of directors position with the self-proclaimed "leading" gay rights organization, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC clapping itself on the back on how "bipartisan" they are)...when what should *really* happen is he should spend the next 6 years as a low-level unpaid intern, licking envelopes closed (enduring the hundreds of paper cuts to his forked tongue that would entail). And he should be denied any sexual favors by any gay man on the planet for the duration of that time.

Maybe then, after he's paid those dues, he can begin to be a part of gay society.

Instead, he just bought himself a sprawling penthouse condo in the heart of Manhattan's choice neighborhood and gay epicenter.

I'm so happy for him.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 26, 2010, 09:32:19 am »

I'm with Randall on this. I'm rather tired of these Uncle Tom homosexuals who spend their careers making the lives of other gay people miserable, profiting handsomely at our expense, and then--when it will no longer cost them anything with their Republican masters--they have an epiphany and come out. And we in the gay community are supposed to embrace them as sudden heroes.

This is a whole lot of what bothers me about the Log Cabin Republicans.

For that matter, this is what bothers me about any alternative religion/belief etc., group supporting the GOP as it currently is. When you have a group that actively seeks to do away with your sector of society, I'm of the opinion that you should not support them. To me that's an incredibly stupid thing to do and I have no respect for you.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 26, 2010, 11:14:08 am »

I couldn't agree more.  I think that these gays who actively work to not only deny us equal rights but strip away the precious few that we already have shouldn't be treated with any respect whatsoever.  They should be considered traitors to their kind and shunned like the pariah that they are.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 26, 2010, 11:20:08 am »

For that matter, this is what bothers me about any alternative religion/belief etc., group supporting the GOP as it currently is. When you have a group that actively seeks to do away with your sector of society, I'm of the opinion that you should not support them. To me that's an incredibly stupid thing to do and I have no respect for you.

GOProud is a lot worse.  Granted, I don't like the Log Cabins but at least they never would get the oh so brilliant idea of having Ann Coulter speak at a major event for them or call her "the right-wing Judy Garland."

My Spiritual Blog
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 26, 2010, 11:22:48 am »

GOProud is a lot worse.  Granted, I don't like the Log Cabins but at least they never would get the oh so brilliant idea of having Ann Coulter speak at a major event for them or call her "the right-wing Judy Garland."

Maybe they were trying to say "bat-shit crazy" and pronounced it incorrectly?

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 26, 2010, 01:45:52 pm »

Ann Coulter, IMO, is the stuff you scrape off the bottom of your shoe after walking through my backyard. Any group that aligns themselves with her, is no different.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 26, 2010, 02:58:39 pm »

The reaction from the gay community:

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2010/08/ken-mehlman-debate
http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/25/Mehlman_Revelation_Draws_Ire_and_Praise/
http://www.queerty.com/george-bushs-campaign-chairman-ken-mehlman-im-gay-20100825/
http://www.365gay.com/news/former-rnc-chair-ken-mehlman-is-coming-out/

An interview from The Advocate with the traitor Mehlman himself:
http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/26/Q_and_A_With_Ken_Mehlman/

My Spiritual Blog
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 26, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »

And to add to Mel's list, one of my fave blogs is ripping Mehlman a new one in post after post (scroll down to see them all):

http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 26, 2010, 05:59:50 pm »

And to add to Mel's list, one of my fave blogs is ripping Mehlman a new one in post after post (scroll down to see them all):

http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com

I don't think it could be summed up any better than this:

"So, he was able to work to reach out to African Americans and hispanics without first figuring out he was African American or hispanic, but he was not able to work to reach out to gays until he figured out (or accepted) that he is gay?"

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 26, 2010, 06:11:46 pm »

I don't think it could be summed up any better than this:

"So, he was able to work to reach out to African Americans and hispanics without first figuring out he was African American or hispanic, but he was not able to work to reach out to gays until he figured out (or accepted) that he is gay?"

For me, this instructive contrast sums it up:

Ken Mehlman, as head of the Republican National Committee, pretended not to be gay and profited handsomely, actively undermining the lives and rights of other gay people to do so.

Compare that to Frank Kameny.

Frank stopped pretending a long time ago—circa 1957—and for that this Harvard-educated WWII veteran was fired from his job with the U.S. government as an astronomer. Frank, rather than undermining the lives of other gay people, is one of the founders of the modern gay rights movement; every LGBT person in the U.S. owes their freedom in no small part to Frank’s early activism.

As I mentioned earlier, Mehlman, using his ill-gotten gains, just paid $3.775 million for a 2,200-square-foot, 2-bedroom, 3-bathroom loft on the 17th floor of the Chelsea Mercantile building, in one of Manhattan’s hottest (and gayest) neighborhoods. His is the highest apartment in the building’s best line.

Frank, on the other hand, never recovered economically from the employment price he paid for being out before it was convenient. Now, at the age of 85, he’s nearly destitute and can barely keep his roof over his head.

But Frank’s not poor. In fact, he’s having a renaissance (and loving it): That roof he can barely keep over his head was just declared a historic place by the District of Columbia for its and Frank’s role in the start of gay civil rights; Frank was recently honored by Pres. Obama and is in demand across the country (when his failing health allows him to travel) to be celebrated for his accomplishments; and he’ll go down in history alongside Rosa Parks and other luminaries who, at great risk to themselves, dared to change this country for the better.

And Mehlman? In a decade or two, I doubt anyone will remember his name.

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 26, 2010, 06:34:39 pm »

Me, too.  I've never understood women in the Republican party.  I've never understood any non-Christian joining the RP, and for that matter, I can't understand Catholics joining the RP.  When you come right down to it, the RP as it currently is should not be seen as welcoming to anyone who isn't an upper-middle to upper class straight white Protestant male, preferably over 40 and w/multiple children.  At least the Dems don't give a shit about all of us about equally, rather than using some of us as scapegoats.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)