The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 10:57:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 10:57:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering: How Did Other Wiccans Start on Their Path?  (Read 4480 times)
Jive
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 31, 2010, 11:15:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Jive Turk

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 27, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

Just wondering where some of the other Wiccans started on there path. I've been reading books and plan on buying more next week. Recently been focusing on my meditation, visualization, and energy sensing. kinda want to know what i should look into next. I do have a simple alter set up and have been trying to get to know the goddess and god better. should i look into deities more or focus on something else.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:00:41 am by Star, Reason: Making subject line more specific » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kamrian
Apprentice
Last Login:September 18, 2010, 12:17:08 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Leaning toward Druidism, still studying however

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 27, 2010, 04:42:52 pm »

Just wondering where some of the other Wiccans started on there path. I've been reading books and plan on buying more next week. Recently been focusing on my meditation, visualization, and energy sensing. kinda want to know what i should look into next. I do have a simple alter set up and have been trying to get to know the goddess and god better. should i look into deities more or focus on something else.

This is just my opinion but starting on "your" path should be how YOU feel it should start. I started down my path by doing things as they came to me.

Study what you find interesting, study the creeds, tenants, etc, but do not feel you have to in a certain time. To me, paganism of ALL sorts is a learning experience. It is not something that can be learnt in a day or week's time but, in my opinion, can take a person their whole life to fully master their calling.

So just be patient, calm, pray, meditate, use your altar, and let it come to you naturally. The God and Goddess will come to know you as long as you are open to Them.

Smiley Best wishes!

‎"What does it matter by which wisdom each of us arrives at the truth? It is not possible that only one road leads to so sublime a mystery."
-Senator Aurelius Symmachus, 383 AD

Nature-lover and proud!
Jive
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Jive Turk

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 27, 2010, 04:55:23 pm »

This is just my opinion but starting on "your" path should be how YOU feel it should start. I started down my path by doing things as they came to me.

Smiley Best wishes!

Very good point. thats what i've been doing and its got me this far just more or less just curious  to see how others went about it
lokiragnaroklover
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 02:41:02 am

Lifes a story book. Your the story teller.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 28, 2010, 10:21:36 pm »

Just wondering where some of the other Wiccans started on there path. I've been reading books and plan on buying more next week. Recently been focusing on my meditation, visualization, and energy sensing... should i look into deities more or focus on something else.

Personally, I started with looking into all of the Gods, reading is good- I read, and am still reading every book possible. I also went into the garden, animal, and nature aspect. I started my own herb garden, and it really helped me grasp the concept of everything truly being alive and equal. But, it is also to go with what yoouu think is right. What else are you interested in? Just keep looking at everything, and focusing on the things that you think you should. So if your drawn to something else, and are curious, look into it.

I also am just getting started in Wicca. Discovered it about four months ago, and I just keep looking at books, web pages, and trying to think of what I agree with, and what I dont.

Who knows what magick tomorrow might hold?
Jive
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Jive Turk

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 28, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »

Personally, I started with looking into all of the Gods, reading is good- I read, and am still reading every book possible. I also went into the garden, animal, and nature aspect. I started my own herb garden, and it really helped me grasp the concept of everything truly being alive and equal. But, it is also to go with what yoouu think is right. What else are you interested in? Just keep looking at everything, and focusing on the things that you think you should. So if your drawn to something else, and are curious, look into it.

I also am just getting started in Wicca. Discovered it about four months ago, and I just keep looking at books, web pages, and trying to think of what I agree with, and what I dont.

I like the idea of a herb garden. I am looking for a good book or two on herbs and i just love the idea of growing your own supplies. I've spent alot of time reading online but i like having a hard copy at hand and i am having a bit of a hard time finding good authors.

Thanks for you reply and i wish you the best of luck on your new path.
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 30, 2010, 07:28:53 pm »

I'm not wiccan but I used to be semi-wiccanish when I first started.

I kind of got an in your face experience when a deity when I was still Christian and that's what made me look into pagan religions. When I was beginning to practice I tried to meditate and make offerings as often as I could. I also found that since I was still in my parents' house at the time that just being mindful of the magic and sacredness around me really lifted my spirits. Even like today, it was miserably hot outside and I had to do a Dendrology lab in the field. We had been out for over an hour and I was seriously dehydrated and just all around not feeling good when we came upon a cypress tree which I associate with Bast who feels like an aunt to me since Yinepu is more or less a patron of mine (though I really dislike that word, he's more a spiritual brother/father) and I just instantly felt better. It's like seeing your friend's favorite flower or eating your grandfathers favorite food, it reminds you of them and their positive influence and you just can't help but feel happy. At least for me anyways.

I would really recommend making it a point to find something sacred about your environment every time you feel your mind wondering. It's good practice and it makes you appreciative.
Jive
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Jive Turk

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 30, 2010, 11:19:31 pm »

I would really recommend making it a point to find something sacred about your environment every time you feel your mind wondering. It's good practice and it makes you appreciative.

interesting. pretty good idea. when i meditate i focus on a tree from my childhood. it was a very large oak that i had a swing on. must of been one of the trees they didn't cut down when they built the neighborhood. i remember every little detail about it. helps me ground. plus it helps with my visualization.
Rattan
Permanently Banned
Last Login:August 31, 2010, 02:30:19 am
Germany Germany

Religion: n/a

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 31, 2010, 02:30:19 am »

Oh I think that's what our own way is about! You have to look deep into yourself to find out what you want to do next!
It doesn't make any sense if somebody here in this forum gives you advice what to do now!
Don't let rob your own freedom chosing your way...
regards

*Link Removed*
Jive
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Jive Turk

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 31, 2010, 10:09:29 am »

Oh I think that's what our own way is about! You have to look deep into yourself to find out what you want to do next!
It doesn't make any sense if somebody here in this forum gives you advice what to do now!
Don't let rob your own freedom chosing your way...
regards

I guess i'm still stuck in my old ways where i am use to structure. I tend to get lost/ahead of myself when i'm free to run wild. just use to some short of direction but i guess that i need to figure out how to find my own direction. Although on a side note i wasn't really asking for a set guideline to follow merely looking to see how others began on there path because i believe that knowing another's experiences can be a great learning tool.   
Laramath
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 13, 2012, 11:51:39 am
Mexico Mexico

Religion: Wiccan

Keltic

Blog entries (0)

Lau Lozano

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 31, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »

I guess i'm still stuck in my old ways where i am use to structure. I tend to get lost/ahead of myself when i'm free to run wild. just use to some short of direction but i guess that i need to figure out how to find my own direction. Although on a side note i wasn't really asking for a set guideline to follow merely looking to see how others began on there path because i believe that knowing another's experiences can be a great learning tool.   

Well, I think I could give you some advice, I hope it's usefull for you. When you start everything is just a bit blurry, you want to organize it on your head but you think you have to read sooo much! So the first thing I did (what actually directed me towards wicca two weeks later) was to observe Nature. Not just see, observe, every change in the temperature, the wind, locate the four blowing winds and investigate about your local weather, how do the seasons have effect on your land? Then, draw a wheel of the year, the one I did looks a lot like a wind rose, I put the solstices up and down, and que equinoxes left and right, then the other sabbats between those four (like it actually is). Then, you can draw or write down (i'm not much of a drawer, but I prefer doing this) everything you remember that happens during those seasons. For example, here in Mexico the fireflyes come right after the rainy season, so I will draw a little firefly on my wheel right after the big rainy clouds... that way you will begin to make a map in your head of all the seasonal changes, this will conect you to nature as you have NO idea, you will have to keep watching the clouds, smelling for wind, rain or snow, you will notice things you passed on your way to work or school that you didn't before. Then, start to study the plants you see near to your house or garden. ¿What type of trees are there? ¿What type of plants? then you can investigate about each one and start writing everything you discover on your mirror book (it's very important to have a record of everything you learn in the way and after some time, go back and see how you are growing too.

Plan Mabon ¿what changes occur? ¿Is it like the book says or is it different? ¿In what way?, ¿What would you like for mabon to mean for you, how will it's energies have effect on your life? You can put flowers, pinecones, or anything natural you find casually, take it as a gift from nature and honor Her by putting it on your altar. I think this way you will connect to the Sacred Source and you will always have your own compass (even if you live in the fifth avenue you can connect to Nature). Then you will know if you feel interest towards anything specific, like plants, animals, maybe healing, ceremonial magic, maybe lunar cycles (you can make a calendar and have your own lunar moonings names in accordance to what is happening naturally in the sorroundings). Feel, try to see the hidden message in nature (and you will find out that it wasn't hidden, you just weren't watching).

Pay attention, record everything and don't believe everything you read in books, don't swallow them right away, look up on the internet or in other books if what they say is real, but NEVER forget, the biggest, most important filter is you. Not your head, your heart, listen to it, listen to your "true will". Be open, listen and look for que piramid of the witches, the four pillars of aknowledge.

Omnia vivent, omnia inter se conexa - Cicero
Laramath
Senior Apprentice
Mexico Mexico

Keltic

Blog entries (0)

Lau Lozano

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 31, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »

I tend to get lost/ahead of myself when i'm free to run wild. just use to some short of direction but i guess that i need to figure out how to find my own direction.  

Remember Form and Matter, what would water do without the cauldron? Don't spill everything you learn by going wild and loosing your pants en the way. Some of us need form to contain matter, form is the BoS, the wheel I told you about, the mirror books, any book, this forum! These things sustain precious matter, and if we don't have balance between those two we will hardly achieve anything (our own body teaches us how we need some sort of container to move, sometimes) We can't have a spiritual life without form, it gets lost, we begin to wander.

Jive
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Jive Turk

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 31, 2010, 03:48:55 pm »

Remember Form and Matter, what would water do without the cauldron? Don't spill everything you learn by going wild and loosing your pants en the way. Some of us need form to contain matter, form is the BoS, the wheel I told you about, the mirror books, any book, this forum! These things sustain precious matter, and if we don't have balance between those two we will hardly achieve anything (our own body teaches us how we need some sort of container to move, sometimes) We can't have a spiritual life without form, it gets lost, we begin to wander.

thanks for all your input. you gave me some really good ideas.
Caridwens Grace
Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2011, 07:43:25 pm

Religion: Catholic (lapsed)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 01, 2010, 12:24:00 pm »

Well, I think I could give you some advice, I hope it's usefull for you.

Pay attention, record everything and don't believe everything you read in books, don't swallow them right away, look up on the internet or in other books if what they say is real, but NEVER forget, the biggest, most important filter is you. Not your head, your heart, listen to it, listen to your "true will". Be open, listen and look for que piramid of the witches, the four pillars of aknowledge.

Laramath, you have given a lot of excellent advice here, and I think not even just for newbies, but maybe even as a reminder to people who have been on their path for a while. I, in particular, was appreciative of your reminder that in the beginning, things tend to be foggy and jumbled because you've read and studies so much and it's all a fog - this has been very true for me. I keep getting these glimpses and flashes of "oh, I get it!" followed by total confusion. On a deeply subconscious level, I think I "know", but I'm too new to know "how", if that makes sense - so the path is begun. Your post reminds me to slow down and enjoy the journey, and that it is OK to feel so jumbled and unsettled, because that's the beginning of the path. I'm grateful for your insights.

Thus far, I like many others have said have been reading pretty much everything I can get my hands on. I have set up my herb pantry (something my husband and I have actually been working on for a while anyway) and planned my herb garden for next year. I'm working on basic energy exercises- especially grounding and centering, deflection of Other energy - and have set up a home altar in the kitchen and one for my personal use in my study. I am beginning a book of mirrors and a book of shadows, and performed a house cleansing with White Sage bundles - and I was really, REALLY amazed at how light the house felt after that. It's hard to describe, but it was so much lighter, really.

I don't know what my path will be, because I'm so new to it all - but I can say that I have felt so much better over the past two weeks than I remember feeling ever as an adult. I've always tended to be a happy person, but I feel more - whole, balanced, HERE, than I ever have. And profoundly, movingly grateful, so grateful that sometimes I look at a tree and my eyes mist. Just bliss. I have felt blissed out so many times over the past two weeks, and that in the best possible way.  Smiley
Laramath
Senior Apprentice
Mexico Mexico

Keltic

Blog entries (0)

Lau Lozano

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 01, 2010, 04:30:44 pm »

Laramath, you have given a lot of excellent advice here, and I think not even just for newbies, but maybe even as a reminder to people who have been on their path for a while. I, in particular, was appreciative of your reminder that in the beginning, things tend to be foggy and jumbled because you've read and studies so much and it's all a fog - this has been very true for me. I keep getting these glimpses and flashes of "oh, I get it!" followed by total confusion. On a deeply subconscious level, I think I "know", but I'm too new to know "how", if that makes sense - so the path is begun. Your post reminds me to slow down and enjoy the journey, and that it is OK to feel so jumbled and unsettled, because that's the beginning of the path. I'm grateful for your insights.

Thus far, I like many others have said have been reading pretty much everything I can get my hands on. I have set up my herb pantry (something my husband and I have actually been working on for a while anyway) and planned my herb garden for next year. I'm working on basic energy exercises- especially grounding and centering, deflection of Other energy - and have set up a home altar in the kitchen and one for my personal use in my study. I am beginning a book of mirrors and a book of shadows, and performed a house cleansing with White Sage bundles - and I was really, REALLY amazed at how light the house felt after that. It's hard to describe, but it was so much lighter, really.   

I don't know what my path will be, because I'm so new to it all - but I can say that I have felt so much better over the past two weeks than I remember feeling ever as an adult. I've always tended to be a happy person, but I feel more - whole, balanced, HERE, than I ever have. And profoundly, movingly grateful, so grateful that sometimes I look at a tree and my eyes mist. Just bliss. I have felt blissed out so many times over the past two weeks, and that in the best possible way.  Smiley

Smiley you are very sweet, when I was starting to walk the path I felt so lost sometimes and left the path several times because I didn't understood what I posted before. As you say, it's normal to be knotted with information (with all this information at our hands it's difficult not to be overwhelmed), and it is very common to loose our path.

There is another trap in the way that most wiccans tend not to pass, in the path of magical religions there is a big trap for some people who are in search for power, (not comprehended here like something bad, just powerful) and it comes to a point when most starting wiccans feel like they are limited by wicca, that they need more, that they are able to do a lot more (like if the religion wasn't big enough for them), they thinks it's easy to bend the rules (such as the threefold law and the rede) and they think that wicca is for little, starter ones. This is not the only reason for people to "drop out" of wicca, (each person has it's own personal and valid reason) but i'm telling you this as maybe you will come to that point in your way. Whenever that happens (if it does) remember this bliss you feel now. The way I see it, that bliss is one of the side effects of the connection to Divinity, it's wonderful, (and the word just isn't fair with the feeling). It's a blessing that we can NEVER forget: life. Maybe this sounds too cheesy, but that's how I feel it.

Be careful with the amout of information you want to digest, give it time for all the peaces to take their place, to really understand what you are reading. We usually rush into it and one cannot rush into spirituality (any).

Caridwens Grace
Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2011, 07:43:25 pm

Religion: Catholic (lapsed)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 02, 2010, 05:47:38 am »

The way I see it, that bliss is one of the side effects of the connection to Divinity, it's wonderful, (and the word just isn't fair with the feeling).

Be careful with the amout of information you want to digest, give it time for all the peaces to take their place, to really understand what you are reading. We usually rush into it and one cannot rush into spirituality (any).

Well, if that's the Bliss I'm supposed to have been feeling all these years with the Roman Catholics, then I can honestly say I didn't get it at ALL. I used to walk out of Mass feeling peaceful, a bit grounded and more purposeful, and even that not every week. But this is a totally different feeling, indescribably "ooooooh, aaaaaaaaah." Seriously, the look on a cat's face after a good meal and a roll in catnip while it's lying in a sunbeam, just kind of blissed out on catnip and dinner and warm and satisfied? That sort of "mmmmm-hmmmmmm" look on that cat's face? That's the feeling. Divine.

And the warning to be careful about overloading information up front and not giving time to filter is a very important one, especially for those of us who tend to research and analyze and dwell on things. As an academic, my immediate go-to drug of choice is the literature on any given subject, and I'm a voracious researcher. But all the research in the world on this matter, followed by careful academic, critical analysis and filtering good, bad and completely off-base advice and information, is going to yield - a very sterilized, theoretically sound, clinical understanding of paganism. The reality is...catnip and a warm sunbeam. NOT the same, and so I do think it's important to do the studying, but also to make sure that isn't all, or even the majority, of what I'm doing. This is something that is definitely going to take time. Hopefully, a lifetime!  Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)