The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2020, 03:46:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2020, 03:46:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mythology vs Science  (Read 4551 times)
lokiragnaroklover
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 02:41:02 am
United States United States

Religion: Wicca

Lifes a story book. Your the story teller.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 28, 2010, 10:45:07 pm »

Question here....

If Haiti and Skul chase the moon and sun in Norse Mythology and that the one eats the sun in a lunar eclipse, and people would bang on pans to get the wolf to spit it out... if that is applied to Paganism today...how does that work? I mean, since we know why the sun or moon is covered, then how can we say Haiti/Skul just ate the moon/sun?

I am confused as to how to apply all the reasons there are in mythology for things that happen, when we know the way things were actually done- science, evolution- and everything...anyhow, please help me understand.

Thank you!

Who knows what magick tomorrow might hold?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 28, 2010, 10:52:57 pm »

Question here....

If Haiti and Skul chase the moon and sun in Norse Mythology and that the one eats the sun in a lunar eclipse, and people would bang on pans to get the wolf to spit it out... if that is applied to Paganism today...how does that work? I mean, since we know why the sun or moon is covered, then how can we say Haiti/Skul just ate the moon/sun?

I am confused as to how to apply all the reasons there are in mythology for things that happen, when we know the way things were actually done- science, evolution- and everything...anyhow, please help me understand.

Thank you!

I personally don't take the myths as being how the world works.  Some of them (such as the Skul and Haiti example you mentioned) were just ways the ancients tried to make since of natural phenomena they couldn't explain via science.  I like to think of the myths as explaining the nature of the gods and their relationship with mortals but not as literal fact.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 29, 2010, 12:00:30 am »

I personally don't take the myths as being how the world works.  Some of them (such as the Skul and Haiti example you mentioned) were just ways the ancients tried to make since of natural phenomena they couldn't explain via science.  I like to think of the myths as explaining the nature of the gods and their relationship with mortals but not as literal fact.

Agreed. Taking them literally - like taking any other body of religious work literally - can actually be dangerous, or at the very least troublesome.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 29, 2010, 12:18:48 am »

Question here....

Thank you!

Mythos is not logos; and each explains the world in considerably different ways. In a rudimentary way, science explains how the world works; myth why it works. Myth is not always something relegated to speaking about religious issues or the beliefs of ancient cultures (though many have limited it to such); rather it is one of a number of filters to impart meaning onto human experience.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 29, 2010, 05:20:31 am »

Question here....

Thank you!

What other people have already said. I would add the comment though that I don't think that being able to explain things through science also explains away the possibility of truth to mythology. Yeah, we know how, for example, thunder and lightning is produced...that doesn't mean that Zeus and Thor aren't still behind those forces.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 29, 2010, 08:16:27 am »

There are different types of truth. Science, for example, explains how the universe works. Religious myths explain how the Gods relate to each other, to the world, and to us. While myths are seldom literally true, they can still contain truth about the Gods and our relationship with them and the universe. While the myth about Haiti/Skul may not be literally true in a physical sense (how eclipses work), it can still say a lot about how the Gods work.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 29, 2010, 08:51:22 am »

I second what others have already said in a similar tone, for me myths tell us about the spirit behind things. But I'd like to add that for me this sacred spirit telling isn't necessarily prescribing the truth on the spirit level either. For me those are 'just' stories which try to express things in a different way than scientific language and they also express things you can't express in scientific language.

But for me the truth of stories doesn't equate the truth of scientific truth just on a spiritual level. I see stories more as some kind of hypothesis about spiritual things. They are all flavoured by the perspective of the storyteller.

They are true when they touch the truth of the storyteller, the person who listens and the spirit of the kosmos, but I don't think all myths give a hundred percent accurate picture about deities and spirit forces of nature either.

They are try-to-be-explanations in a spiritual dimension, some more or less accurate to the actual powers than others...

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 29, 2010, 05:23:51 pm »

I second what others have already said in a similar tone, for me myths tell us about the spirit behind things. But I'd like to add that for me this sacred spirit telling isn't necessarily prescribing the truth on the spirit level either. For me those are 'just' stories which try to express things in a different way than scientific language and they also express things you can't express in scientific language.

But for me the truth of stories doesn't equate the truth of scientific truth just on a spiritual level. I see stories more as some kind of hypothesis about spiritual things. They are all flavoured by the perspective of the storyteller.

They are true when they touch the truth of the storyteller, the person who listens and the spirit of the kosmos, but I don't think all myths give a hundred percent accurate picture about deities and spirit forces of nature either.

They are try-to-be-explanations in a spiritual dimension, some more or less accurate to the actual powers than others...

I agree with this, as well as what others have said.

I remember when I was first becoming open to the idea of polytheism, this was an issue that felt really confusing to me. I was asking, "Wait, do you believe that that god is LITERALLY holding up the sky?" and there was some discussion then about what "literal" means when you're talking about myths and Truths. Working through questions like the ones you have about myths vs science is probably a very common process for modern pagans.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
lokiragnaroklover
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 02:41:02 am

Religion: Wicca

Lifes a story book. Your the story teller.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 29, 2010, 07:19:13 pm »

I like to think of the myths as explaining the nature of the gods and their relationship with mortals but not as literal fact.

Okay, I kind of have more of a grasp on the concept now. I had that feeling it was something like that, the myths are how the Gods relate, but I was still curious to see what others thought. Thank you all so much!  Cheesy

Who knows what magick tomorrow might hold?
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 30, 2010, 11:30:02 pm »

Mythos is not logos; and each explains the world in considerably different ways. In a rudimentary way, science explains how the world works; myth why it works. Myth is not always something relegated to speaking about religious issues or the beliefs of ancient cultures (though many have limited it to such); rather it is one of a number of filters to impart meaning onto human experience.

I really, really like this answer. Pretty much exactly explains how I view myth.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)