The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 24, 2022, 07:19:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2022, 07:19:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Under hurricane watch  (Read 8384 times)
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 29, 2010, 02:10:45 am »

A hurricane watch has been issued for the US Virgin Islands, where I live. Tropical Storm Earl is expected to have reached hurricane status by the time it reaches my area tomorrow night. Prayers that it will blow over without affecting us would be very much appreciated--this is my first hurricane season in the tropics after living most of my life 4-5 hours away from the nearest ocean, so I'm a little nervous, especially since the other people in the house keep pointing out how little experience I have in this particular area.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 29, 2010, 02:18:49 am »

A hurricane watch has been issued for the US Virgin Islands, where I live. Tropical Storm Earl is expected to have reached hurricane status by the time it reaches my area tomorrow night. Prayers that it will blow over without affecting us would be very much appreciated--this is my first hurricane season in the tropics after living most of my life 4-5 hours away from the nearest ocean, so I'm a little nervous, especially since the other people in the house keep pointing out how little experience I have in this particular area.

I know how you feel I just spent a year in hurricane prone area and was terrified of getting a big one. At least you are with people who know.

Fingers crossed it will all blow over safely
Prickle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 29, 2012, 03:32:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 29, 2010, 04:13:58 am »

Sept 13th it'll be two years since Ike blew through here.

Do you have food and water for at least 3 days? Flashlights? A battery powered radio? If you have a grill you may want to stock up on charcoal or propane. Do you have a generator for your fridge?

With an inverter for the car battery you can run a laptop or a fan for a while. Fill up your bath tubs and sinks and any large pans with water, you may need it to flush the toilets.

In the hours before the hurricane was due I made some extra bread, washed clothes and taped the windows. We put all the patio furniture in the garage. As neighbors we made sure any for sale signs or anything else at vacant houses that could go flying around and hit other people's houses was taken down and stored.

Prayers for a peaceful passage sent your way.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:16:43 am by Prickle » Logged

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 29, 2010, 07:58:17 am »

You'll be fine, hon. I lived on an island in the Gulf of Mexico for eight years. All you have to do is board up and make sure you have enough food, enough water, and contact with the weather service/local news. Going through your first hurricane makes you feel... a little like you can do anything. If the hurricane reaches a category one or two and nothing larger, don't worry over much, okay? It looks like Earl isn't going to be getting much bigger from what I just saw. It's okay! I promise!

(((Steph)))

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 29, 2010, 08:05:01 am »

A hurricane watch has been issued for the US Virgin Islands, where I live. Tropical Storm Earl is expected to have reached hurricane status by the time it reaches my area tomorrow night.

[[[[Steph]]]] Kemet83's advice is good too.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 29, 2010, 08:18:35 am »

(((Steph)))  Safe passage through the storm. 

stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 29, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

Earl has been upgraded to a category 1 hurricane. We're still under a hurricane watch/tropical storm warning, but the British Virgin Islands, which are not far from here, have been changed to a hurricane warning. We've already started getting a bit of wind and rain, but nothing like what's coming.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 29, 2010, 08:25:40 pm »

Earl has been upgraded to a category 1 hurricane. We're still under a hurricane watch/tropical storm warning, but the British Virgin Islands, which are not far from here, have been changed to a hurricane warning. We've already started getting a bit of wind and rain, but nothing like what's coming.

My area isn't under a watch yet, but we are keeping an eye on it.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2022, 02:15:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 30, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »

My area isn't under a watch yet, but we are keeping an eye on it.
I'm checking the tropical/hurricane page at Weather Underground* a few times a day right now, because so many of my e-quaintances live in places that Earl might hit.

*My fave online weather site, partly because it's at least as reliable and sometimes more so than any local sources for my local weather, partly because it's weather-geeky, and partly, I admit it, because of the historio-political reference of its name.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 30, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

I'm checking the tropical/hurricane page at Weather Underground* a few times a day right now, because so many of my e-quaintances live in places that Earl might hit.

Same here.  It looks like Earl may track up straight up the East Coast. 

I haven't seen much in the way of news out of the USVI, other than it sounds like a curfew is in effect until tomorrow morning. 

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 30, 2010, 08:35:22 pm »

I haven't seen much in the way of news out of the USVI, other than it sounds like a curfew is in effect until tomorrow morning. 

The eye passed north of the British Virgin Islands this afternoon. At the rate its moving, the powerful part storm should be out of the VI area by morning.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 30, 2010, 09:17:56 pm »

The head meteorologist of one of the local news stations said that the Virgin Islands are not getting the worst part of the storm (which is the western edge -- the VIs are getting the southern edge).  Given that meteorology isn't my best subject, I'm taking his word for it.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Setnusutekh
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 13, 2017, 11:47:11 pm
Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

Religion: Kemetic Recon, Heathen and follower of Apollo.

Dua Set, Mighty One of the Two Fold Strength!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 30, 2010, 09:52:02 pm »

Shocked From one Caribbean pagan to another, I wish you the best, and really really hope that your disaster preparedness in the Virgin Islands is better than ours. My prayers are with you.

Yikes, whenever I hear hurricane my mind automatically goes back to the horror stories of Flora.

Yes, I am Trini to d bone! Smiley
stephyjh
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 31, 2010, 11:20:43 am »

Shocked From one Caribbean pagan to another, I wish you the best, and really really hope that your disaster preparedness in the Virgin Islands is better than ours. My prayers are with you.

Yikes, whenever I hear hurricane my mind automatically goes back to the horror stories of Flora.

IT MISSED US! *happy dance* We got a LOT of rain and some lightning and wind, but nothing like what they called for. Power was up and down (which anyone who lives in the Caribbean knows is normal--that could have just been because it was Monday :p ) and cellphone service has been spotty, but the only real casualty was the TV, where lightning ran in on it. But you know, I work for a major electronics retailer, so that's easily fixed.

It also looks like Tropical Storm Fiona is going in a different direction too.

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 31, 2010, 11:45:21 am »

(((Stephy, Family, and everyone involved)))  To be safe.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)