The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2020, 03:55:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 03:55:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Goodly Spellbook: Olde Spells For Modern Problems  (Read 7172 times) Average Rating: 0
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: August 30, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

Title: The Goodly Spellbook: Olde Spells For Modern Problems
Author(s): Lady Passion and Diuvei
Publisher: Sterling
Publication Date: September 1, 2005
ISBN: 1402700830
ISBN-13: 978-1402700835
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

Description:
Here is the thoroughly comprehensive, absolutely definitive guide to spells--the basic handbook for anyone looking to practice some hands-on magic. Delightfully well written and practical, filled with atmospheric illustrations and diagrams throughout, it encompasses all the principles and philosophy of spell casting, and gives recipes for charms to solve common contemporary problems. This offers what witchcraft and Wicca books don't: an in-depth understanding of what's behind the spells and why they work. It's amazing how much magic is in here: Geomancy, Elemental Scrying, Tree Divination, Mystic Dance and Drumming, Kitchen Witchery, and lots more. From healing, protection, and attraction spells to spells for discernment, repulsion, and concealing, not a topic goes uncovered.

Special Notes:
none

Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron.

Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 31, 2010, 08:16:54 pm »

I haven't checked out the book itself, so I can't comment directly, but I have some "salt" to contribute.  The authors are not Gardnerian (source: the Gardnerians on the A&J elist), though they're described as such on the Amazon page, and make that claim themselves on the Coven Oldenwilde website.  Said website pretty clearly shows them to be deeply attached to the "surviving ancient tradition" mythic history; while a spellbook isn't likely to include a great deal of history, any that is present (f'ex, right there in the subtitle, the mention of "olde" spells - and I see the Publisher's Weekly review on the Amazon page mentions it including "an introductory essay on the history of spellcraft") should be viewed skeptically.

None of this necessarily has any bearing on the practical effectiveness of the material in the book, but bad history and misrepresentation of their own background don't give me confidence in their reliability.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 10:16:36 am

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 31, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

I haven't checked out the book itself, so I can't comment directly, but I have some "salt" to contribute.  The authors are not Gardnerian (source: the Gardnerians on the A&J elist), though they're described as such on the Amazon page, and make that claim themselves on the Coven Oldenwilde website.  Said website pretty clearly shows them to be deeply attached to the "surviving ancient tradition" mythic history; while a spellbook isn't likely to include a great deal of history, any that is present (f'ex, right there in the subtitle, the mention of "olde" spells - and I see the Publisher's Weekly review on the Amazon page mentions it including "an introductory essay on the history of spellcraft") should be viewed skeptically.

None of this necessarily has any bearing on the practical effectiveness of the material in the book, but bad history and misrepresentation of their own background don't give me confidence in their reliability.

Sunflower

Well in all honesty I have found quite a few useful bits of info in here. Not necessarily on spells and history and such, but on sigils and marks and music magic type of stuff. I also found something in the book in reference to building your own kind of magical place in your mind or in an astral plane. I find all of this quite interesting and hope that this isn't another "bad" book to read like Silver RavenWolf's are.Sad

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 02, 2010, 12:17:04 am »

Well in all honesty I have found quite a few useful bits of info in here. Not necessarily on spells and history and such, but on sigils and marks and music magic type of stuff. I also found something in the book in reference to building your own kind of magical place in your mind or in an astral plane. I find all of this quite interesting and hope that this isn't another "bad" book to read like Silver RavenWolf's are.Sad

I found it useful as well, it touched on spell techniques that other books rarely do.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 02, 2010, 11:19:46 pm »

I don't, myself, hold with the idea that any book is inherently "bad to read" - even the most outrageous witchcrap can have, at minimum, the effect of helping the reader learn to tell better books from poorer ones.  It's more a matter of limited resources (time, money) that might be more effectively spent on a different book - ultimately, the only person who can judge that is the individual who is spending (or choosing not to) those resources, to which end even a very experienced pagan reader is likely to find value in having an idea how much salt to apply, to what parts of a book, and why (every pagan book should be taken with at least a grain of salt, because no author is an infallible authority).

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 03, 2010, 08:10:16 am »

I don't, myself, hold with the idea that any book is inherently "bad to read" - even the most outrageous witchcrap can have, at minimum, the effect of helping the reader learn to tell better books from poorer ones. 

I think some books can be very bad to read if you don't already know enough about the subject to be able to tell the probably incorrect info from probably correct info. A lot of "witchcrap" books can really give a total beginner a lot of incorrect information -- and they have no clue that it is incorrect.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 03, 2010, 10:14:47 pm »

I think some books can be very bad to read if you don't already know enough about the subject to be able to tell the probably incorrect info from probably correct info. A lot of "witchcrap" books can really give a total beginner a lot of incorrect information -- and they have no clue that it is incorrect.
True.  I tend to see it in terms of using critical reading skills - using salt, reading widely, never taking any book as unassailably authoritative - but many folks have never been taught those skills or picked them up on their own.  I may underestimate the problem - f'ex, to me it seems obvious that fiction, while it may contain "real" bits, is mostly full of invention and dramatization, and if one is using those as a source (as I did when I was starting out, since there wasn't a lot of nonfictional material in the early '70s and what there was, wasn't easy for a 13-year-old to get hold of) one has to use a lot of salt and caution; I've never been able to completely wrap my head around how many people just take it as thinly-disguised truth and proceed to hound the authors about it.  But they do, and if they'll do that with fer-pete-squeaks fiction, they're likely to be even more credulous about nonfiction.

The sense I've sometimes got of "bad book" being used to imply that there's no way to read it without being infected by its misinformation makes me itch, but it may be an inevitable side effect.

Sunflower

Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 10:16:36 am

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 03, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »

Alright well I think the only way for anybody to figure out whether this is truly witchcrap or not is for one of the more reputable members on TC to get the book through the library and read it/skim it and to post a review. So. Who volunteers?Cheesy

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)